Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure how this plays out in all model years, but I've noticed that my 2020 MDX will allow me to control the auto-idle with the pressure on the brake pedal - light pressure but full control and a full stop does not turn off the engine. If I then fully depress the brake after a stop, it will turn off. Likewise, full stop and full brake pressure immediately turns off the engine, no reminder on dash. When I say immediately, I mean after about a second's delay. The MID in the dash always has this reminder each time I stop with lighter pedal pressure (but I noticed this reminder can be turned off in settings). I didn't bother to look this up in the manual, but I'm guessing it's in there....
My 2019 MDX does this. The reminder says to use firm pressure on the brake pedal to activate auto-stop feature. Either way it is still annoying.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Other than wanting to avoid replacement of the starter after it reaches the 250,000 start life span estimate, I turn it off because I want to be able to gun it if I need to and avoid that split second delay where the engine is off. Also, if I gun it and the engine is off and it starts up, I feel like that would be bad for it somehow. Anyway, it’s hot in Florida and I don’t like how the a/c starts to get warm after the engine being off for ten seconds or so. I didn’t buy this car for the fuel economy, so I just turn it off to avoid the hassle.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You bring up a good point about safety. If you need to pull out quickly, it takes a bit more time to get going if the engine has shut down beforehand. Just as an aside, if engine is topped and you turn the steering wheel, the engine restarts to provide the boost.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Other than wanting to avoid replacement of the starter after it reaches the 250,000 start life span estimate, I turn it off because I want to be able to gun it if I need to and avoid that split second delay where the engine is off. Also, if I gun it and the engine is off and it starts up, I feel like that would be bad for it somehow. Anyway, it’s hot in Florida and I don’t like how the a/c starts to get warm after the engine being off for ten seconds or so. I didn’t buy this car for the fuel economy, so I just turn it off to avoid the hassle.
Where did you get that 250,000 life span? Also, how often do you need to gun it when stopped?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts