Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 2019 MDX Base with 9800 miles. Took a trip this weekend to the North Carolina mountains a got the message "Auto engine idle stop unavailable". The last two days have been driving less than a mile at 15-20 mph. But two hours of normal highway driving, it is still there.

does anyone know why this came up?

·
Registered
22 Posts
There a a lot of conditions monitored all the time.This is normal.Your owner's manual will indicate under what conditions the auto stop will not work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the time this car is in temps no lower than 35 degrees, but in the mountains thisvweekend, it was 19 degrees at night. I will watch it for a few days and see what happens.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Recently my 17 Advance was in traffic and the stop/start system kicked in and shut off the engine. When light turned green, I lifted my foot off the brake and the engine did NOT start. People behind me started honking horns and I put car into Park and the car did not start the first few times pressing the Start button. Third or fourth try it started. Long story short - Acura told me battery failed load test and replaced it. This is the THIRD battery in 20k miles. I can put up with it under warranty, but what happens AFTER warranty? Will I be replacing an expensive AGM battery every year?? This is not acceptable. It seems Acura is dealing with the RESULT of the problem and not the problem itself. I think it has to do with the start/stop system. I asked if there was a permanent way to turn that off, and of course they said no. I have to use the button on the console. I've seen in other forums that there is a method to deactivate permanently on the Pilot. Wonder if it's applicable to the MDX. I feel that Auto Stop/Start system was put i n mostly for Acura's benefit, to squeeze out more MPG for the CAFE standards. I hope these systems will all go away when reports of customer unhappiness keep coming in. In some GM cars you can't even turn the system off, so I guess we're lucky to have the button.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It’s part of my routine now. I press start, I pull the parking brake, I press D, then press the auto idle off button. Takes a few weeks to get into the habit but not bad.

What makes you think that system is at fault for the battery drain rather than the thousand other more likely things that actually draw power?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Sorry for your problems. The reason for the stop/start has been beaten to death. Of course it’s for the CAFE standards.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What makes you think that system is at fault for the battery drain rather than the thousand other more likely things that actually draw power?
When the car was less than a year old, the stop/start system went weeks without working and I reported it to dealer. At first I'd get the message on the screen about it not working and then it just stopped giving the message. This was in the Winter. I'm one to run steering wheel heat and seat heat (on high) most of the times when outside temps are below about 40 degrees. The dealer mentioned that with all that draw, it was not a good thing that the battery had to cover the demand even when engine was off. He kinda thought that the stop/start system was a main cause of short battery life. I tend to agree. I spoke with the dealer (in person) today and he suggested they get the car back and do a check on current draw when vehicle is running, AND when shut off. I definitely agreed that this was the next logical step. I just don't feel like replacing the AGM 1.5 years. This coming November, my warranty expires due to the 4 year time period. I'll probably have about 26 or 27k miles on the vehicle by that time. I should mention that of the about 8k miles I drive per year under normal circumstances, more than 50% are highway miles.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
This may be a scenario manufactures hadn’t planned for. Cold climate,low mileage, all heat sources on. At the 6500 miles a year you are averaging,this is a lot of stress on the battery.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Acura battery is warranty for 100 months. It definitely a headache that you need to replace every 1~2 years, but it should be free of charge. Hopefully there is solution on your short battery life issue soon.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for the battery info, JTM, I wasn't aware of that. Knowing that will help me in the future. Elvisfan, I agree. It is usually 8k per year, but is low average now because the first 1.5 years of ownership, car spent more than 3 months at the dealer, trying to fix various issues a multitude of times, some of which still exist and are off-topic so I won't get into them here. But I have posted in this forum about those other issues.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Thanks for the battery info, JTM, I wasn't aware of that. Knowing that will help me in the future.
More detail on the battery warranty:

Battery Warranties: The battery that came with your new Acura is covered under your New Car Warranty Period for 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. If Acura replaces this battery during the warranty period, at no cost to you, that replacement battery will continue to fall under the original New Car Warranty Period up to the vehicles first 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. Any replacement battery that is paid for by the client is 100% covered for parts and labor for the first 3 years after the date of purchase. After this period the battery itself is pro-rated up to the 100 month limit.

You could find the pro-rated via the Warranty booklet. (First 36 months is free according to 2019 booklet)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Acura battery is warranty for 100 months. It definitely a headache that you need to replace every 1~2 years, but it should be free of charge. Hopefully there is solution on your short battery life issue soon.
Always good to read the warranty book. Even the high voltage battery in the hybrid isn’t warranted for 100 months.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Then, JTM, the warranty will not help me. 4 year warranty expires this coming November. I'd have a hard time convincing myself to buy an Acura battery, though. If I gotta buy it, I might just go to an over-the-counter unit locally. I don't think I'd want to pop for an Optima, though.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Then, JTM, the warranty will not help me. 4 year warranty expires this coming November. I'd have a hard time convincing myself to buy an Acura battery, though. If I gotta buy it, I might just go to an over-the-counter unit locally. I don't think I'd want to pop for an Optima, though.
True, for your case, that might be same for Acura or over-the-counter battery since most of them cover 100% for the first 3~4 years. But I will check with your Acura dealer if it happens, maybe they will make the exception for you as it is not the original battery from day 1 of delivery

·
Registered
8 Posts
It’s part of my routine now. I press start, I pull the parking brake, I press D, then press the auto idle off button. Takes a few weeks to get into the habit but not bad.

Ditto here! I have a 2019 MDX and when I first got it, the auto stop feature just bugged the crap out of me! I gradually got use to a routine similar to yours - start the engine, put it in in gear, hit the auto stop off, release the parking brake, and then drive off. At first the light on the dash showing that the auto stop was disabled bugged me also, but now after 6 months of ownership I have gotten used to it. Other than this, I really enjoy my car - it is more than what I expected. 🤠

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
So true - you either love it or hate it! I cannot see where it has helped my overall mileage. ;)
It only helps...... when you IDLE a lot (traffic jam or parked but don't turn off car)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure how this plays out in all model years, but I've noticed that my 2020 MDX will allow me to control the auto-idle with the pressure on the brake pedal - light pressure but full control and a full stop does not turn off the engine. If I then fully depress the brake after a stop, it will turn off. Likewise, full stop and full brake pressure immediately turns off the engine, no reminder on dash. When I say immediately, I mean after about a second's delay. The MID in the dash always has this reminder each time I stop with lighter pedal pressure (but I noticed this reminder can be turned off in settings). I didn't bother to look this up in the manual, but I'm guessing it's in there....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts