Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 MDX Sh-AWD Adv/Entertain 60k miles

It's bone chilling 16 degrees outside with the wind chill below 0 and suddenly the auto engine idle stop keeps kicking in every time I stop. I've never had this happen in this kind of weather before. It began after the oil change 2 days ago. Is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Your post is confusing me. Is the engine shutting off when you stop or not?

Weather can be a significant factor in whether or not the parameters that need to be met in order for the auto stop/start to work. Battery voltage and engine coolant temp just to name several. I would assume transmission fluid temp as well. In very cold weather these systems might not meet the criteria, especially on short trips.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That is correct your $50000.00 car must meet all the required parameters in order for it to function properly or as advertised! The dealership/manufacturer apologizes for the Inconveniences that are caused by these not aligning up in Hot/Cold, rainy, snowy, windy or wet road conditions. I believe there is a separate manual that outlines all the conditions that must come together in order for specific items installed to function as advertised? Just ask for the updated manual from the dealership.

In the meantime the dealer would just have you ignore the warnings that are illuminated telling you things are not working correct!! one really needs to have purchased the car that meets criteria on shorter trips if you do them? That is really on the salesman for not mentioning or qualifying his client ahead of the purchase short/long trips?

Keep in mind today that you need to qualify ahead of time if the car and its functions/options work in the Hot sun, Cold weather, rainy conditions, faded road lines, Snow,frost, sleet, broken road lines. If not which options don't and which warnings do you respond to and which ones you don't? This will help improve your enjoyment and driving experience ahead of time something that seems to have been overlooked?:)

·
Registered
895 Posts
To be fair, the only reason manufacturers are even offering the start/stop technology is because of the US government push for improved fuel economy. The added wear and tear on the starting system plus the added cost for the technology simply isn't worth the incremental gain, but of course the government could care less. The same is true of hybrid cars. If all factors were truly taken into consideration they are not economically a winner and even the touted environmental impact is questionable when ALL factors are taken into account. The battery life cycle is extremely dirty, but you don't see that being reported. Another energy scam is ethanol made from corn. The total energy output is negative when calculated correctly. In other words, by the time you include the fuel to operate the tractors, combines, trucks, etc., to produce the corn and transport it to the ethanol plant, then the natural gas used to cook the mash, then the fuel to transport the ethanol to the refineries to be mixed with gas there has been more energy burned than has been produced. All in all some technology is worthwhile and some not at all, but real world fuel economy in cars had made very little if any improvement since the 1980's when we had GM's full sized front wheel drive 3.8L V-6 cars getting a real 30 mpg. Trucks and SUV's have improved some, but not really that much when you think about how long the industry has been working on it fairly seriously.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Actually, there should not be wear on the starting system, as the starter is not used. It is, for all intents, a "compression start". The computer knows which piston is at the proper place for the fuel and spark to be triggered and get the engine started on the compression that exists in that particular cylinder. But yes, it's done for the manufacturers' CAFE standards that need to be met. Every little mpg is important to them. I'm living with the system in my 17 Advanced, but often turn it off in town with the button on the console. And yes, there are a LOT of parameters that must be met for system to work. More and more cars are now utilizing this kinda annoying system. Just think, the new Chevy Traverse and Buick Enclave have NO button to turn off. You're stuck with it. This was one reason I did not trade the MDX in for a new Enclave (there were other reasons also).

·
Registered
500 Posts
@Wilsoncc...dude, its 100% the buyers responsibility to determine if the MDX is the best option for them. It's snowflake thinking to blame others for your circumstances and choices. The owners manual is available online, study that carefully and you'll know how every system works ahead of time.
@Lorenzo, the stop start system in the MDX uses the starter to restart. I can't stand stop/start, sure it might save incremental amounts of fuel which benefits the mfg, but it passes the costs on to the consumer for developing the technology and the increased wear and tear on the starter and charging/storage system.

Reactions: Pkrface

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your post is confusing me. Is the engine shutting off when you stop or not?

Weather can be a significant factor in whether or not the parameters that need to be met in order for the auto stop/start to work. Battery voltage and engine coolant temp just to name several. I would assume transmission fluid temp as well. In very cold weather these systems might not meet the criteria, especially on short trips.
Sorry. Yeah engine shuts off when I make a complete stop. I was told that this would not happen on below 40 degrees or when the wipers are in function. Neither seems to be true obviously. It's frigid cold and snowing yet engine still shuts off when I stop so I make sure I manually turn the function off.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sorry. Yeah engine shuts off when I make a complete stop. I was told that this would not happen on below 40 degrees or when the wipers are in function. Neither seems to be true obviously. It's frigid cold and snowing yet engine still shuts off when I stop so I make sure I manually turn the function off.
That helps clarify. Knowing the car business pretty well, sometimes sales people get a significant amount of training on particular features, but later "mis-remember" some of the facts. The below 40 degree auto cancel of the start/stop feature may be one of them. Your owners manual may tell you if it is supposed to be true or not, but I'm sure it doesn't cover all the parameters for the function. You can always express your concern to the service dept and they can verify the real deal on that particular issue.

·
Registered
288 Posts
@Lorenzo, the stop start system in the MDX uses the starter to restart. I can't stand stop/start, sure it might save incremental amounts of fuel which benefits the mfg, but it passes the costs on to the consumer for developing the technology and the increased wear and tear on the starter and charging/storage system.

I had gotten the "no starter" info from the SERVICE MANAGER of my dealership. Jeez!! If one can't get real info about an Acura at an Acura dealer, where the hell do we get it. Here and the internet, I guess. Bottom line - if the dealer's lips are movin', they're lieing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts