Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone ever turn off the auto-dimming mirror? i've turned it off once or twice just to see what the difference is since i've never had this toy before. since then, i have always left it on, i fail to see why there is a switch. :confused:

-henry

·
Registered
65 Posts
With the auto switch on, the auto-dimming feature senses glare from bright lights and darkens the mirror for safer night driving automatically. Without the auto switch on, you have to tilt the mirror to night mode manually.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
I like leaving it on just to see how bright those various xenon lights are. . . :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MDroX said:
With the auto switch on, the auto-dimming feature senses glare from bright lights and darkens the mirror for safer night driving automatically. Without the auto switch on, you have to tilt the mirror to night mode manually.
exactly ... which is why i fail to see why anyone would use the switch and turn it off so they can adjust the mirror manually, unless they don't think the auto-dimming darkens the mirror enough?

-henry

·
Registered
392 Posts
henry_atwork said:

exactly ... which is why i fail to see why anyone would use the switch and turn it off so they can adjust the mirror manually, unless they don't think the auto-dimming darkens the mirror enough?

-henry
I've never been happy with the auto sensing mirrors, the old ones with trapezoidal mirror and a flip up switch seemed much darker and more appropriate to me. This has been my feeling based on auto dimming in lexus, mercedes, chrysler, and now the mdx. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
235 Posts
smokey on your tail?!

i want to be able to see behind me without dimming if i suspect any troopers on my tail. its not always easy to pick up the low profile lights.

regards,

chris

:9: :11:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I turn mine on only if there's a high-beam idiot behind me, or morning/evening sun shining in through the liftgate window. Otherwise, it dims 'way too much for my taste. I'm pretty much a manual kind of guy -- less to break that way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I never had mine on. The dimmer would make it too dark and I wouldn't be able to spot a trooper from behind! I never remember a problem from blinding lights because the back window is tinted pretty dark.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I was wondering this same thing -- why would you ever turn it off?! I don't think it's ever too dark (troopers or not!).

·
Registered
700 Posts
It's there so if you need to be in reverse for a long while, say backing up a long driveway, you can see better. When you shift into reverse the unit doesn't "un-dim" like other (Gentex model) units.

Also, if you hang something behind you mirror in the day, Say a parking pass, this can reduce the visibility. Push the button and you're set to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts