Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to the forum. We got our 2020 mdx base fwd last month. I want to install a dash cam but do not want to go through the a-piller routing. I saw in this forum that people have tapped into the rear view mirror connector for power. I am wondering if anybody can help me find the name of the rear view mirror connector. My plan is to create an extension by connecting a male and a female connector together with wires and then tap/solder there for power. In this way I do not have tamper the factory cables/connector.

Thank you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Interesting idea. Sorry but I am unable to provide an answer to this.

There is not a right or a wrong way to do this, and obviously you are free to do what you wish with your car, but to me that seems more complicated and time-intensive than just going the A pillar route.

Reactions: mbill002

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am afraid of damaging the clips and making the a-pillar cover rattle. Also, I did not do a very good job with routing in my last car and part of the cable was visible where the headliner meets the pillar. The extension I can make off the car and then it would be a plug and play.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@jefferson88 I am thinking of taking your suggestion and tap into the fuse box. What do you suggest between the a-pillar vs weather strip for routing? Any pros/cons?

·
Registered
199 Posts
First remove the A pillar cover by prying up the plastic SRS Airbag tag, there is a bolt behind it, 8mm. After that bolt is removed a gentle tug toward the center console will remove the cover as there is only 1 clip holding it in place. The tweeter is mounted to the cover and has a cable running to it. You can unplug the tweeter or just lay the cover down on top of the dash, you'll have plenty of room to work.
Next step is to pull the weather strip off the door frame down to the floor. This is just so you can run the wire from the fuse box up the pillar through the small gap between the frame of the car and the dashboard. After that you're good to start pulling off panels. All of them are snapped into place with strong clips so they take a forceful tug, but they are robust and will not break. Start by pulling off the semi-circular flat plastic cover on the side of the dashboard between the driver's air vent and the door. 4 clips hold this one in. A plastic pry tool will be your friend here.
Work your way down to the plastic cover by the hood release. This piece covers the fuse box so you'll want to remove that to give yourself access.

After you have the covers off you can route your wire up to the mirror. I didn't secure mine with anything, I just tucked it behind the curtain airbag and pushed the wire under the headliner. Feel free to use zipties or tape if you'd like. I mounted my dash camera under the rear view mirror. In order to hide the cable, I pulled off the black plastic trim surrounding the LKAS camera and fed my wire down to where the mirror extends out from the shroud. You can skip that if you'd like.

I tapped into fuse 13, which is the fuse for the adaptive cruise control. That fuse is only powered when the ignition is on. With this setup, my camera records whenever I am driving and turns off when the car is off so I never have to worry about battery drain. I don't recall which bolt I used as my ground, though it's not difficult to find one.

Test the camera to make sure it works as expected, then snap all the covers back into place and shove the weather strip back on the door frame. There's no glue or anything to worry about. You're good to go!

If you are worried about breaking clips or having rattles, you don't need to. I have pulled and reinstalled all of these parts 5 times this year without issue: dash cam install, radar detector install, tweeter upgrade, doing that again when I had my windshield replaced, and just now taking these photos.

Reactions: mbill002
1 - 6 of 6 Posts