Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am (I hope) about 10 days out from my '02 (build date supposedly of today-second build date my dealer has given me) , and based on everyone's comments on the boards I am planning ahead on doing upgrades to the sound system early. I have done a search and haven't been able to find these specific questions addressed before:

Could someone who has done the speaker upgrade comment if it is worthwhile to get the separate tweeters/woofer speakers with crossover done, or just put in the combined woofer/tweeter quick and easy? I am considering the Inifinity 652 speakers based on everyone's comments.

The reason I ask is someone mentioned that it was difficult to understand plain speech with the combined speakers, and I was concerned because I listen to a lot of lectures while in the car. I don't mind paying to having it done professionally and have the separate tweeters put in if it will make a big difference in clarity of the lectures.

I ordered a 184, and so from what I understand the base system is a 4 ohm Alpine unit. Would that be sufficient power to power a 4 ohm sub-woofer, or will I need an amp to really get power out of it? I had been considering the Eclipse Aluminum 10" which as I understand it could have the wiring run in parallel and so even a 2 ohm system would be enough to power it being it is dual voice coil. Would I need to run in parallel if the base system is truly 4 ohm?

Thanks for any answers to my questions. Sorry if any of the questions are ignorant, I am an audio idiot, and learning from everyone's posts.

·
Registered
217 Posts
rspitz,

On the voice issue, I gave my thoughts in other thread (basically I believe the Infinity speaker do a good job on voice).

On the subwoofer question......The Alpine unit is 4 Ohms for the 4 door speakers, but the sub is a 2 Ohm sub. Doing that, a cheaper amp can drive to reasonable sound output (as the cost of great sound but nothing is free). I put the Pioneer sub in, which is a high efficiency 4 Ohm sub and its does pretty well. Better than stock at $60. The eclipse you mentioned is a very good sub, but is probably not a cost effective solution. Specifically, it will be greatly underpowered by the stock amp. Also, the speaker enclosure in the side of the MDX is not optimized for a great sub, several here have installed separate amps with sub enclosures.

I wanted to keep the space free, so I opted for an inexpensive sub in stock location. Am happy with results, but am considering adding a better amp for the sub. To me, either go good quality/low cost (Pioneer or like) or great quality at cost (eclipse type with amp). Afraid anything in middle will be a weak compromise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts