Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently got a 2005 MDX and going to replace the receiver in the dash. looking at kits form crutchfield, look pretty good. any thing i should be looking for in a new unit. i want one with the backup camera, recommendations ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two weeks ago, I bought a '05 MDX Touring. I just purchased the Sony XAV-AX100 and will be installing it on Sunday 06, 2017 in my MDX 05 w/Bose system.

I think I have everything needed for the install since I bought the whole package off of Crutchfield (Harness, wires, Steering control adapter, etc).

I will let you know how it all goes. Only thing I am concerned about is connecting the Mic. I see the phone controls (buttons) on the steering wheel so I am wondering if there is already existing cables run somewhere for the Mic itself isn't installed. Does anyone know if the phone/Mic buttons work in the 05 steering wheel? Are they there but the Mic isn't working? Has anyone done a full install of Mic, Backup camera, Stereo and can share some info? Thanks all.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Please report back, I want to change my radio as well.

The Mic, phone leads to the HFL unit up behind the Garage door opener. So I don't see if you can match those right now.

I'm most concerned if you can get your Navi working (Since you have a touring), when I disconnected the radio, the Navi screen went white on me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I finally got the DVD drive replaced in my navi unit, so my nav is back in business. Here are the pictures with both screens running. And yes, I have the Bose system.

https://goo.gl/photos/8qmrwNqxCjiSREJX8

My factory nav still works (without audio prompts) but it is worthless to me because of how great Google Navigation is. I wish there was a way to have the trip computer automatically start up instead of going to nav after the nag screen.

I also ran the radio mic into the overhead console as pictured. The mic design that came with the radio means that it has to stick out a bit, but I really don't care since the voice response is perfect. I love being able to say "OK Google" and issue a command without having to press any button.

Still working out the bugs in the steering wheel controls. Right now I have my top and bottom buttons controlling volume. Those are the only ones that don't completely spaz out.

The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX is the way to go since the nag screen goes away after a few seconds. You don't want to have to hit okay on two separate screens every time you get into the car. The Sony unit has a beautiful interface, but the nag screen blew it for me.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
recently purchased a 2006 MDX with Navigation - factory installed - has the Bose - question for you - how do you control the A/C if you replaced the factory screens?
The factory top screen remains in place. The aftermarket head unit replaces the radio controls BELOW the screen.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That's a different dash - timbanks1960 has navigation, which combines the A/C controls with the radio and navigation. That's where it's a good thing to have the "basic" model. ;-)
The radio install is the SAME.

The aftermarket head unit goes BELOW the factory nav screen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two weeks ago, I bought a '05 MDX Touring. I just purchased the Sony XAV-AX100 and will be installing it on Sunday 06, 2017 in my MDX 05 w/Bose system.

I think I have everything needed for the install since I bought the whole package off of Crutchfield (Harness, wires, Steering control adapter, etc).

I will let you know how it all goes. Only thing I am concerned about is connecting the Mic. I see the phone controls (buttons) on the steering wheel so I am wondering if there is already existing cables run somewhere for the Mic itself isn't installed. Does anyone know if the phone/Mic buttons work in the 05 steering wheel? Are they there but the Mic isn't working? Has anyone done a full install of Mic, Backup camera, Stereo and can share some info? Thanks all.
How did the install go?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts