Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MDX2005 has the BT enabled Hands Free Link (HFL). Can this be piggybacked to send music from BT enabled phone to the car audio? Also what is the easiest way to configure HFL for a new phone?

·
Registered
278 Posts
You can't use hfl to play music.

Any audio shop can install for you a Bluetooth module or If your mdx has the dvd entertainment system in the back , there should be RCA connections on the arm rest of the 3rd row seats and from there you can attach a device that connects Bluetooth to RCA or for like $10 you can buy RCA to 3.5mm jack and just attach it to your phone. They sell these on ebay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just installed a Honda Acura 98-05 Bluetooth Hands Free Car Adapter Kit (MBUSB3) from Grom Audio in my 2004 MDX. It took about 30 minutes. You just need to remove the trim panel around the radio, remove 6 screws to remove the radio, plug the adapter into the back of the radio, plug the microphone cable into the adapter, mount the mic and put everything back together. It pairs and connects easily with our Android and Apple phones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Socalgman - How do you remove the trim panel around the radio. I've got a 2005 MDX and it doesn't seem obvious to me but I'm not mechanically inclined either. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You'll need a plastic trim removal tool or a medium flat bladed screwdriver with the tip wrapped in tape to not mar the dash. Stick the tool or screwdriver in the crack between the trim and the dash and gently pry the trim up, working around the trim, starting at the top. Once the trim is loose, there are 3 electrical connectors to switches which you need to unplug. You'll find a part of the plug you can push in to release the wire connector. To re-install, just reconnect the switches, start at the bottom and gently press the trim panel back in place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just installed a Honda Acura 98-05 Bluetooth Hands Free Car Adapter Kit (MBUSB3) from Grom Audio in my 2004 MDX. It took about 30 minutes. You just need to remove the trim panel around the radio, remove 6 screws to remove the radio, plug the adapter into the back of the radio, plug the microphone cable into the adapter, mount the mic and put everything back together. It pairs and connects easily with our Android and Apple phones.
I was going to order one of these but the listing I saw said that it was not compatible with models that had the built in CD changer as it uses the connection for an external CD changer. My 2004 Touring does have a built in CD changer.

Is this true? Any help or comments you can provide would be appreciated.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You can run it in Satellite mode if your unit has XM.

HOWEVER

1) It's a pain to disconnect the link (It's in the rear left fender)
2) The Grom is very slow in that mode. Don't know why and I asked support but got the cookie cutter answer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My guess you will lose the ability to use the CD changer, which is probably why they said it is incompatible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I added the USA SPEC BT45t-Hon3 device for BT feature using the XM link. I removed it because the thing really sucked when identifying the title of the song when I used Pandora/Spotify. it kept switching back between the title of what was playing on XM and what was on my phone. Also, the main thing that annoyed me was that it kept triggering the warning light for my TPMS. I verified the HON3 device was the issue by removing it and not seeing the light coming back on. When I reattached it, the light would appear again. This happens anywhere around 15-20 minutes of driving. Even though I know nothing is wrong with my tire pressure, I was just annoyed by the light being there.

I would like to add a new radio, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of what is involved since I have the Nav + Bose, no RES.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I added the USA SPEC BT45t-Hon3 device for BT feature using the XM link. I removed it because the thing really sucked when identifying the title of the song when I used Pandora/Spotify. it kept switching back between the title of what was playing on XM and what was on my phone. Also, the main thing that annoyed me was that it kept triggering the warning light for my TPMS. I verified the HON3 device was the issue by removing it and not seeing the light coming back on. When I reattached it, the light would appear again. This happens anywhere around 15-20 minutes of driving. Even though I know nothing is wrong with my tire pressure, I was just annoyed by the light being there.

I would like to add a new radio, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of what is involved since I have the Nav + Bose, no RES.
Sounds like the USA SPEC is broadcasting a signal that jams the TPMS. eww.

But you left the XM plugged in? GROM wouldn't work at all until I disconnected the XM

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like the USA SPEC is broadcasting a signal that jams the TPMS. eww.

But you left the XM plugged in? GROM wouldn't work at all until I disconnected the XM
The USA Spec is designed to have XM piggybacked into it, so you can still use XM. I have a year sub to it for free anyways. XM still works fine when you put it on XM2 while the USA Spec uses the BT feature when you're on XM1.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just picked up a 2006 MDX with Bose, CD changer and no nav or RES and am interested in adding Bluetooth streaming audio to the setup. Does anyone have experience with replacing the CD changer part for Double Din sized nav head unit with Bluetooth? I have seen same sized android devices that I imagine would work just as well?
Does anyone have experience with using a double din unit in place of factory cd changer? I'm hesitant because the photos that I have seen just look off (spaces all around the double din, uneven fit with the dash part etc). ANy feedback would be helpful

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can't use hfl to play music.

Any audio shop can install for you a Bluetooth module or If your mdx has the dvd entertainment system in the back , there should be RCA connections on the arm rest of the 3rd row seats and from there you can attach a device that connects Bluetooth to RCA or for like $10 you can buy RCA to 3.5mm jack and just attach it to your phone. They sell these on ebay.
Thank you do you know I can get it on my 05 MDX non Navi can you tell me how??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you do you know I can get it on my 05 MDX non Navi can you tell me how??
Take a look at this post I made about how I added ab audio jack to my 2004. I think the same company also sells similar product with bluetooth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts