Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's with the running greyhound avitar?

Do you have houndies? If so, I would love to hear about them.

I currently have 2 retired racers. Sampson, a 9 yr old red male, and Sandy, a 5 yr old red fawn female. Madison, our red brindle female, died from congestive heart failure last June. And we previously fostered Ranger, a blue male who was Sampson's litter mate. All of them came from St. Croix Meadows racing park (now closed) in Hudson, WI.

-Dana

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
There are a few greyhound lovers here on this forum... here is a picture of our 12 year old Brianna. She is the sweetest dog I have ever owned. I look forward to her loving greeting every day when I get home! Even at 12 years old she still can run, she gives our 4 year old GSD quite a workout as they chase each other in the back yard.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beautiful houndie...

I love brindles. And I see her face has greyed up nicely. :p I can imagine how attached you are. We were devistated when we lost Madison. We did not eve know there was anything wrong... Then, two days later... But we adopted Sandy within two week.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Dana (& Maik):

Yep, I have one greyhound, for now anyway. I haven't given in to the infamous potato chip syndrome yet (i.e., not being able to stop at one) :2: Chewy is about 3.5 years old. I don't think he raced very long because I got him at about 1.5 years old. He's my big baby and absolutely loves to hop in the X to go for a ride.

I also have 2 cats and luckily they all get along perfectly, although the cats do boss him around. :whip: The last 6 months have been a little difficult at times, because he suffers from seizures from time to time. Right now, they are just calling it epilepsy and I have him on phenobarbitol to control the seizures. Since being on the medication, he only has seizures maybe once every 3 months (in fact he just had one yesterday afternoon). But he's feeling much better today! :p Here's a photo I had done right before xmas at the local Petco.

So sorry to hear about your loss Dana. I'd be devastated. Do you have any pictures of any of your greys?

- Dana

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
One more

Chewy and Mecca......

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another beautiful houndie...

These hounds sure do have a way of becoming the center of the family. And yes, they are like potato chips... Well, more like 45mph couch potatos! I think they do better in pairs... Partners in crime.

Pictures of my beasts.

Some of these pictures are kinda big, so they may take a few seconds to download from my server at home. My dsl is adsl, so I am throttled at 128 for an upstream.

This one is Sampson and Madison. It was taken less than two weeks before she died. We did not even know she was sick. She went in less than two days. From the picture, it appears the she knew she was sick, and so did Sam. He had been laying by her a lot... Constantly watching over her as he is here. We did not realize it until days after.

(large photo)
http://pictures.sitehound.net/General/Hounds/April 2002 008.jpg

This one is Sandy, who has quickly become the best friend of my daughter, Abigail. Sandy is a complete goofball. She has been really good for Sampson, who did not eat for two weeks after Madison died.

(large photo)
http://pictures.sitehound.net/2002/Christmas/Abigail loves Sandy 004.jpg

This one is Ranger... Sampson's litter mate who we fostered for a while. He's the most lazy greyhound I have ever seen. He lives in our town with friends of ours. They have another greyhound also, named Micky.

(small photo)
http://pictures.sitehound.net/General/Hounds/ranger2.jpg

This one is too funny not to mention... Sampson was in some trouble this day.

(small photo)
http://pictures.sitehound.net/General/Hounds/bissel.jpg

I have a really good picture if Micky someplace, but I can't find it. She is a 10yr old white/red patch female, who is not doing very well these days.

-Dana

·
Registered
351 Posts
Beautiful

Very nice pics, Dana....especially the beautiful one with Madison and Sampson. Whenever I see two or more hounds together like that, it makes me want to get a companion for Chewy. Right now, he tries to "hang out" with the cats, but they just don't get it. Sometimes, he can get close to Mecca (as you see in the picture above), but if he tries to snuggle or get too close, she runs away. The cats get especially confused if he licks them in the face...they run away and shake their heads as if to say "yuk!" :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts