Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I’d do a quick review of the atlp v2r pipe:

Fitment was good, no problems there. Honestly the quality is good but the rv6 unit is better. Having held and inspected both I can see where the extra cost comes from in the rv6 piece. The welds on the atlp unit primaries form a “ridge” which protrudes into the lumen of the tube and could cause a slight bottleneck and exhaust turbulence. It is also advertised as having a 3” collector however those were not my findings.

Sound is unchanged, driving feel is largely unchanged also imo. The most influential reason for me to do this was to replace the factory pipe which as you can see was working on a flex section failure.

Anyway, on to pics and measurements:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Are these legal? It appears an emissions control device present on the OEM part is missing on the new one.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The r in v2r stands for “race”. So they are designed for “track use”. In my county there is no visual inspection. I believe the tabs on the cat section are there to fool a visual inspection too, as the factory heat shields can be bolted to them.

·
Registered
860 Posts
exhaust hanger rod welded at the wrong spot.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn’t call it wrong, It slipped into the mount no problem just as the factory piece

·
Registered
860 Posts
I wouldn’t call it wrong, It slipped into the mount no problem just as the factory piece
Hanger rod should be welded after flex pipe, not before .
That part of exhaust is bolted to the cats and it is moving with engine. There is no need for hanger before flex... Probably after some time it will destroy rubber hanger or maybe not.
Actually there should be no support of any kind that is attaching to the body of the car before flex...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That part of exhaust is bolted to the cats and it is moving with engine. There is no need for hanger before flex... Probably after some time it will destroy rubber hanger or maybe not.
Actually there should be no support of any kind that is attaching to the body of the car before flex...
Ah ic well that makes sense. I’ll have to keep an eye on it for wear, or would it be better to just disconnect it?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ah ic well that makes sense. I’ll have to keep an eye on it for wear, thank you!
My suggestion, just remove rubber part, it is doing nothing in this case.

Quick question: Is it 400 grade stainless? Dont look like 304 for sure... And it looks like painted?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My suggestion, just remove rubber part, it is doing nothing in this case.

Quick question: Is it 400 grade stainless? Dont look like 304 for sure... And it looks like painted?
Not painted. It’s made of 439 stainless

·
Registered
860 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts

See, this is why I like lurking. I didn’t know that & wouldn’t have caught it without your direction either. Always learning, always learning....

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Thanks! It’s atleast as good as the oe part that needed to be replaced lol
How can you be so confident when you already know this replacement part is made by guys who can be a bit smarter.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I stand corrected...it is NOT as good as the factory part. There is a very annoying cabin vibration after installing this part. I have talked to another user who reports the exact same issue. I believe the design of the hanger location and the size of the flex section has something to do with it. Atlp is telling me I need a valve adjustment but I cannot possibly see how the valve lash could be effected by the exhaust back pressure.

The other user I spoke of earlier did get aforementioned valve adjustment with no change in cabin vibration. It looks like this may be coming off and going back. It destroys the luxury of the vehicle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I stand corrected...it is NOT as good as the factory part. There is a very annoying cabin vibration after installing this part. I have talked to another user who reports the exact same issue. I believe the design of the hanger location and the size of the flex section has something to do with it. Atlp is telling me I need a valve adjustment but I cannot possibly see how the valve lash could be effected by the exhaust back pressure.

The other user I spoke of earlier did get aforementioned valve adjustment with no change in cabin vibration. It looks like this may be coming off and going back. It destroys the luxury of the vehicle.
I'm the other user you spoke with. Per our conversation I can confirm the same issue. I am also inclined to agree with your assessment regarding the design of the hanger location on the ATLP j-pipe. The vibration is coming from the flex section back to where it bolts to the rest of the exhaust. I believe installing a proper hanger location could solve the vibration issue. The valve adjustment I had done prior to the installation of the j-pipe and do not believe this had any effect on the vibration.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm the other user you spoke with. Per our conversation I can confirm the same issue. I am also inclined to agree with your assessment regarding the design of the hanger location on the ATLP j-pipe. The vibration is coming from the flex section back to where it bolts to the rest of the exhaust. I believe installing a proper hanger location could solve the vibration issue. The valve adjustment I had done prior to the installation of the j-pipe and do not believe this had any effect on the vibration.
i added a hanger in that location and it didnt help at all. im inclined to believe the only fix would be maybe a larger flex section or raising the idle to 800rpm where there is no problem. i have reset the pcm with my hds and performed an idle relearn with no success.

according to the FSM the correct idle is "710 +/- 50 rpm". my mdx is right at 710 after warming up according to HDS. id be interested to hear what your idle settles at after its warm.

my theory is this has been a problem with the production of this pipe from the beginning. it only manifests in a very narrow rpm range that only some mdxs choose to idle at which is why its not prevalent in every vehicle. anyone who has an mdx that idles at 750 or above would be fine, as the few times my mdx settles at this speed briefly the whole problem goes away until its back in the 700-710 range.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Whenever pipe diameter is increased, exhaust flow is increased too. More flow, more vibrations But it is only in narrow rpm range.
Like you have it only at idle and probably with AC on. If you would turn of climate control, vibrations should be almost nonexistent.
Relocating hanger will not help much, but some vibration damping mounts should do the trick. It did help on my Infiniti exhaust.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whenever pipe diameter is increased, exhaust flow is increased too. More flow, more vibrations But it is only in narrow rpm range.
Like you have it only at idle and probably with AC on. If you would turn of climate control, vibrations should be almost nonexistent.
Relocating hanger will not help much, but some vibration damping mounts should do the trick. It did help on my Infiniti exhaust.

what are vibration damping mounts? different than standard donut hanger?

·
Registered
860 Posts
what are vibration damping mounts? different than standard donut hanger?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNF94HO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would put two of them after, flex.

Ideally you would need to weld a bolt on exhaust and then screw on the mount, you can buy two: https://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/exhaust-clamp/nickson-exhaust-clamp/59033_0_0 and screw two vibration mounts on them... Not sure it will help, but you might try. It did help with my Infiniti vibrations
There is nothing wrong ATLP pipe, sure hanger rod is welded in wrong spot, but other than that. You getting vibrations because exhaust flow is increased and better flow is a good thing ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Here is a pic of my older Infinti exhaust setup. Also you could stack two vibration mounts...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts