Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've stumbled upon a conundrum, and am out of town, so I'm hoping you guys can assist me with your collective wisdom to help me at least get home to my mechanic.

I have a 2004 MDX, and had the tranny rebuilt by a shop a week ago. It's been working fine, until last night, when I was about 2 hours into my drive, doing about 75mph when the AT Temp light came on. After a minute or two, I got off at an exit and found some smoke and a bad smell coming from under the hood. I also noticed some red ATF fluid spilled around in the engine compartment. Nothing was pouring down from the vehicle on the ground, even though I still had the engine running.

The only thing that I noticed was a tiny rubber hose sticking straight up from the tranny port came undone. After googling it, I think it was the breather tube? It came undone off the tranny, but the other end isn't attached to anything, so I'm confused why it's even there. Anyway I put the hose back on. I also checked the tranny oil level and it was super high. Like 6-7 inches up the stick above the indicator holes. I wiped it again and checked again and the whole stick was basically covered in ATF. I figured maybe it's too hot and that's why the oil is so high. So I let it idle for about 10 minutes, and slowly continued the drive.

I had about 10 minutes left to get to my destination, despite the AT Temp light being still on. About 5 minutes into the drive, the AT Temp light turned off. This morning, I checked the tranny oil again, completely cold, after being parked overnight, and it's still super high. Almost all the way up the stick. I haven't started it yet, but I'm wondering if all of these symptoms tell you anything. I'm clueless..

Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I would speculate that tranny vent line was loose or left disconnected during service. Also possible that excess fluid level could cause liquid to blast out and disconnect vent line.

You can drain ATF by establishing a siphon through the AT dipstick tube (small tubing will take hrs to drain possibly) or opening drain plug to partially drain, or completely drain and correctly refill.

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kind of find it hard to believe that the tranny shop that rebuilt my tranny overfilled the oil by that much. That's why I was wondering if maybe there could be some sort of blockage somewhere, which doesn't allow the oil to get to certain parts of the tranny, which would explain why the level is so high and why the tranny overheated? BTW when I check the tranny oil now, the oil smells horrible. I don't remember it having much of an odor at all. Now it smalls similar to hydraulic oil.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Suggest a complete drain and replacement w/ Honda ATF. Only way to have an overfilled trans is for someone to overfill.

good luck

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
ATF Foaming.. Very common on non-Honda ATF Filled transmissions.. Yeah it also happened to me with a change of AMSOIL SYN ATF on my TL-S.

Oil foams up and goes up the breathing tube of the transmission then becomes liquid.. This depletes the transmission ATF Fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense, and is the only conclusion I could come up to after googling. However, would the tranny repair shop putting in the wrong ATF explain it overheating?

They really did a ****ty job. After they finished it the first time, I picked it up and found it had the same problems as before (slipping between 1st and 2nd) and also the D5 had started blinking to boot. So I took it back to them. They rebuilt it a second time, and now apparently they put the wrong fluid in.

Futhermore, they didn't properly attach that breather tube; didn't fasten this black electrical junction box thing, which is supposed to fasten to the tranny with 2 bolts, and they also lost the cover caps on the plastic engine cover.

Overall a horrible experience, and I have to take it back to them yet again, to put the right ATF in..

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Yeah sounds like a very lazy/bad shop work...
Lots of times in rebuilds they use universal ATF for filling up since its quoted on the bill and its cheap as hell, This happened on my first B7WA failure on my TL-S (With problematic transmission era).. They rebuild it and filled her up with some random no known brand ATF... I quickly drained and filled with Honda Z1. That same transmission then was filled by me with AMSOIL SYN ATF (Which by the time it was supposedly the top-of-the-top ATF) it puked it all out just 2 weeks later and destroyed the transmission due to clutch pack overheating. Without ATF there is no lubrication, No lubrication = HEAT GOES UP! And eventually the clutch packs fail due to lack of lubrication.

Now my TL-S is running a spanking AV6 Trans Swap so no more trans issues for this fella....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting how much of a difference the type of ATF you use can make. Your explanation makes sense, about it overheating after all the oil spits out, but my ATF level was still extremely high, even after it spit it out and overheated. I checked the level cold and hot, it was still a few inches above the high mark on the stick. That's why I'm dreading finding out that maybe there was some blockage in the tubes that prevented the oil from draining downward all the way, and that's why the tranny overheated?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts