Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 MDX and everytime I change engine oil I drain 3 qts of tranny fluid and add 3 new qts. Somehow I eneded up with an extra qt setting around----so time for an oil change. I ask my son to pickup 2 qts for me. What I've always got was ATF Z1---now he brings home ATF DW1 ???Did they change it or what---will they mix together OK???

·
Registered
779 Posts
Fwiw...

DW-1 is the new replacement for ATF Z-1. It is compatable with Z-1 and you can mix them without concern. Some folks have reported smoother shifts with DW-1. Use it without worrying because it will soon, if not now, be all that you will be able to purchase as the Z-1 is being phased out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much!!!:d

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just got 4Qts of a 75,000 + miles Valvoline ATF-Z1 substitute for 17bucks.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I have a 2005 MDX and everytime I change engine oil I drain 3 qts of tranny fluid and add 3 new qts.
You don't need to change your transmission fluid that frequently. The recommendation in the manual is to change the engine oil (and filter) every 7500 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first, and to change the transmission fluid and the fluids in the VTM every 30,000 miles or 24 months, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Jmho...

I have posted this before but I will do it again...Because of Honda's miserable history with their trannys I do a 3 quart tranny fluid chage every-other oil change, which I do at 3,000 miles. Cheap insurance for me. Does it help? I don't know, but I do know that Honda has spent MILLIONS on tranny replacements over the years and their customer consideration varies widely from some getting no help at all toward the $4,500 cost, some get half pay and some get free replacement. My son had to pay $2,500 toward his replacement (Accord) and I asked for a 36K/3 yr warranty, which they granted, instead of the 12/12 standard warranty. I would not use any fluid other than Honda's fluid because of the problems with their trannys. For a few bucks more I get the fluid at the Honda dealer and in the past he has given it to me for what I can get it for on the internet. As always, FWIW.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have posted this before but I will do it again...Because of Honda's miserable history with their trannys I do a 3 quart tranny fluid chage every-other oil change, which I do at 3,000 miles. Cheap insurance for me. Does it help? I don't know, but I do know that Honda has spent MILLIONS on tranny replacements over the years and their customer consideration varies widely from some getting no help at all toward the $4,500 cost, some get half pay and some get free replacement. My son had to pay $2,500 toward his replacement (Accord) and I asked for a 36K/3 yr warranty, which they granted, instead of the 12/12 standard warranty. I would not use any fluid other than Honda's fluid because of the problems with their trannys. For a few bucks more I get the fluid at the Honda dealer and in the past he has given it to me for what I can get it for on the internet. As always, FWIW.....
I do the same thing except I do it every 5000 miles and use Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil and nothing but Acura-Honda ATF--Change VTM every 15,000 and use mobil 1 synthetic 80-140 in the little transfer case

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just drained my transmission of 4 quarts and put in Amsoils new transmission oil for the 2011 MDX its a low viscosity oil. Yes i can feel a big difference in the way the transmission shifts and goes into gear. Will do two more changes that way will have the trans flushed and all new Amsoil in trans. I think a good synthetic oil is the way to be going as it saves you money in the end. For get about the cheap oils as yes they are cheap to buy but cost you money in the end.

·
Registered
779 Posts
question....

Why have you decided to use Amsoil in your '11 tranny? Honda's new fluid (DW-1) is reportedly a syn and is designed/recommended for 2011 and newer trannys. Why use something contrary to that recommended by the manufacturer. Don't get me wrong. It's not wrong, per se, to do that but I'm just curious. Has Amsoil provided any test results comparing the two fluids or are you just doing it because you like Ams and it says it's "compatible" on the container? thanks for any response.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why have you decided to use Amsoil in your '11 tranny? Honda's new fluid (DW-1) is reportedly a syn and is designed/recommended for 2011 and newer trannys. Why use something contrary to that recommended by the manufacturer. Don't get me wrong. It's not wrong, per se, to do that but I'm just curious. Has Amsoil provided any test results comparing the two fluids or are you just doing it because you like Ams and it says it's "compatible" on the container? thanks for any response.
Why you say:Simple Its the best synthetic oil on the market today with some others that are ok. Then there are some that are a very poor grade of synthetic oil. the new Honda/Acura is a good oil that is made from other companies for Honda /Acura specs. Amsoil has 100% control of everything that gos into there product.I have used there products for about 30 years and do believe in what they say about there products, as i say i am using there products in all my vehicles and they have kept them out of the shop with know break downs. As soon as i changed the transmission oil this week and have been driving it around i can see how much smoother it gos into gear and shifts. the engine is so much more quieter and runs smoother also. Power steering feels so much smoother. And yes they will back you up if there is any problems with warranty issues. Plus my gasoline mileage has gone up also by about 2-3miles per gallon. I feel now days you can not affoed to put in cheap oils and say i paid $17.00 for the oil to change my transmission and feel good about it as its going to bite you down the road. Repairs are very costly now days and labour rates are also pricey. So spend it in the parts and fluids to help keep you out of the shops.

·
Registered
779 Posts
thanx....

Thank you for your response. I went to the Ams site and noted that it does replace z-1 but it does not mention the newer DW-1 for model years 2011 (and previous because that's all you can get now, in my area anyway). I'll be interested to see it Ams updates their fluid to also replace DW-1 (if the can figure out what's in it, that is).

I've never used Ams products but, then again, I've changed ALL of my vehicle's fluids frequently, along with filters, and never had an oil-related failure. I believe that frequent maintenance is the key whether you use syns or dino. I like syns better because of their resistance to thermal breakdown but to each his own as long as the fluids are REGULARLY changed. During my misspent youth I worked for Standard Oil in one of their service stations and saw a lot of BAD fluid maintenance done by vehicle owners, from Cadillacs to chevs to Morris Minors (what dat?).

Again, thanx for your comments.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Synthetic oil is made from petroleum oil.
Not always. Group III yes. Group IV no. American Honda does not mention Synthetic on the bottle and does note their new fluid is "lower viscosity for IMPOVED fuel economy" as shown in a picture here.
The switch from Honda ATF Z1 to DW-1.... issues. - Bob Is The Oil Guy

But is DW 1 really synthetic? The USA bottle does not say synthetic. The Canadian bottle does.

DW 1 flash point is lower than several cheap dino and other ATF's.
Flash point of DW 1 and Z1 are the same according to the MSDS.
http://www.worldpac.com/tagged/HONDA_DW-1_ATF_08200-9008_OES_(USA)_and_CA66844_OES_(Canada).pdf
DW1 flash point 170 deg C, 338 deg F
http://www.worldpac.com/tagged/Idemitsu-Honda-Genuine-AT-Fluid-08200-900-OES.pdf
Z1 flash point 170 deg C, 338 deg F

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Maxlife_ATF.pdf
Maxlife flash point 202 deg C.
http://www.dilmar.com/PDFS/Coastal/Coastal Type F ATF.pdf
Coastal Type F flash point 365 deg F.
http://www.dilmar.com/PDFS/Coastal/PDS - Coastal Dexron VI ATF.pdf
Coastal Dexron VI 405 Deg F.
http://www.dilmar.com/PDFS/Coastal/Coastal Dexon III-Mercon ATF.pdf
Coastal Dex III 378 Deg F.
Flash points of Coastal Type F, Coastal Dex III , Coastal Dex VI, and Maxlife Dex Merc are higher than DW 1. Coastal is the cheapest brand ATF at Autozone.

DW 1 synthetic or not?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do I or do i not want to get into this whole debate about Synthetic oils etc. Just will say the Acura/ Honda DW-1 is not a pure synthetic oil. But i do know that these two are slowly switching over to pure synthetic oils in the next very short time frame like 2013 /2015 as they looking at them very seriously. As for there transmission problems they have switched to the oil (DW-1) . If you want to look up the specs on what i have been talking about with Amsoil i will give you all the link.
AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil and Engine Oil
AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic and Manual Transmission Fluid
Not you can look it all up and compare just navigate around there web site to get the answers that you are wanting.

·
Registered
779 Posts
But...

I could find nothing that says their multi veh tranny stuff is for "2010 and 2011" vehs, as you stated. It does state,

"AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF is recommended for transmissions, hydraulics, power steering and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:

• GM DEXRON® III-H
• Ford MERCON® & MERCON V
• Chrysler ATF+4®
• Toyota Type T-III and T-IV
• Honda Z-1 (Not CVT)
• Diamond SP II & III (Mitsubishi/Hyundai/Kia)
• Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
• Subaru ATF, ATF-HP
• Nissan Matic D, J & K
• Idemitsu K-17
• BMW LA2634
• LT 71141
• Audi G-052-025-A2 & G-052-162-A1
• Volvo 97340
• MB 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9 & 236.10
• JWS 3309
• NAG 1
• ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B & N402
• Voith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363)
• ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 14C, 16L, 17C
• Allison C-4, TES 389
• Mopar AS68RC

Note: Not for use with CVT or Ford Type F applications."

Just because a particular manufacturer is "FIRST" in developing this or that, which Ams seems to emphasize, actually means nothing because as time goes on there are MANY manufacturers who enter the market with similar products, ie the iPad, flat panel TV sets, audio devices, cell phones, refrigerators, automobiles, and on and on. Is it worth the extra expense? Who knows. Their advertising says it is and if it makes you feel better that is also good because confidence in ANY product means a lot to the individual consumer. I also think that regular oil and filter changes mean a lot and I would never extend my change interval to 15K miles, I don't care how good a manufacturer says their oil is. I'm hopeful that anyone who subscribes to their extended change intervals reads their exclusions prior to embarking on that type of maintenance. I would like to see published some testing done on extended service oils by reputable independent labs with absolutely no connection to the Ans company. I'm sure their sales-folk have such documentation and if any are on this forum I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see it as this subject has come up several times.

We'll see if anyone is kind enough or knowledgeable enough to respond. This is always an interesting subject to investigate. Syns are touted as being less suseptable to thermal breakdown. Is Ams MORE less suseptable? I need more than advertising to show me. As was said years ago in a famous ad, "WHERE'S THE BEEF?"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts