Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi MDX'ers,
Just came back from a 5h trip to the mountains. When driving uphill in very hot weather the AT-temp came one. As soon as the A/C was turned off and pass was cleared and we were going down again the AT-temp went out.
Home again checking the ATF level the dip stick is dry (operating temp, turn off, wipe off, check). I went to the local Acura this morning early and got 1qt of 08200-9008A and put it in. Warming up. Checking. Not even at the bottom of the stick. I thought 1qt would be enough.
If the level is that low it can explain the over heating. I will need to put some more in. The tranny was flushed last year by my (trusted) mechanic and has been running OK since.

But what I don't understand is where is the ATF gone? The tranny is not wet underneath. There are no drops in the drive way.
Do I just keep filling up or is there something else going on?

Thanks!!:smile2:

AG

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Look at your coolant for any signs of the dreaded "strawberry milk shake", and look at the condition of the fluid on your tranny dipstick. The transmission fluid is routed through the bottom of your radiator, and if that circuit fails internally, you end up co-mingling the coolant and tranny fluid. I guess I don't need to add that's a bad thing... ;-)

It's always possible that your mechanic messed up... it happens all the time (one of the many reasons I twist my own wrenches). Just make sure you're parking on a level surface when checking the fluid level.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks habbyguy,
Yes, that would be bad.
I checked the water level and it was good and looked clean.
The oil on the dipstick (when I go to wipe it the first time) looks somewhat normal for 8k mi since change. It's no longer crisp red, but more light brown and still has a healthy non-burnt smell to it.

Yes, the option of the mechanics messed up is there although he is a friend and super-honest!
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, now I have added 2qts and its finally showing on the stick. Took it for a spin and it even seem to shift smoother. Wife says she felt the same with the ride earlier in the day even with just 1qt added.
Checked the radiator water again and the water is clear blue from the coolant.

I will keep a close eye on it in the days to come.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Unless your mech filled it low, check for tranny fluid leaks at or near the bottom of the radiator where the fluid hoses enter/exit the radiator. Those fittings have been known to corrode and break. Seems you should get drips but the plastic trim cover among the bottom may be holding some up. You can look down from the top of the radiator and see if it looks wet.

Sometimes the coolant can get into the trans from those fittings so check radiator and when your trans fluid level is correct, check for off color fluid.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks LeftOverParts,

The coolant is at the top level and clear without any oil in it.
Our driveway is clean with no oil drips, but I will check the hose connecter when the MDX returns later in the day.

Thanks! :)

AG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.