Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yes, that is fill plug. It is generally very tight requiring a breaker bar to break loose. Long fill funnel is essential.

good luck

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I just modified a skinny nose funnel with a section of mister (thick-wall line used to supply pressurized water to outdoor misting units in an attempt to stay outside in the Arizona summer) hose, and fill through the dipstick tube (yes, Wanderlust, the one for the tranny). ;-) Even then, I had to shave the end of the tubing down just a bit to get it to fit. That eliminates having to try to work that big fill bolt off and out, along with the possibility of dislodging debris and dirt from the area into the open hole. Yes, it takes a little longer to pour a quart of fluid through the long tube, but it's got to be no worse that getting the fill bolt off and back on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just modified a skinny nose funnel with a section of mister (thick-wall line used to supply pressurized water to outdoor misting units in an attempt to stay outside in the Arizona summer) hose, and fill through the dipstick tube (yes, Wanderlust, the one for the tranny). ;-) Even then, I had to shave the end of the tubing down just a bit to get it to fit. That eliminates having to try to work that big fill bolt off and out, along with the possibility of dislodging debris and dirt from the area into the open hole. Yes, it takes a little longer to pour a quart of fluid through the long tube, but it's got to be no worse that getting the fill bolt off and back on.
+1 for filling through the dipstick. No need to crank open the fill bolt, replace the crush washer, etc.

I cut a hole in the "bottom" end of a condiment squeeze bottle like this one:

And fit the pointed end in the diptube and a regular funnel in the hole I cut open. I use a clear one to easily see the amount of fluid. The solid yellow and red bottles make it harder to see the fluid.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That tranny fill bolt is so easy and quick to unbolt!

I get it that some would want to avoid it, but a cheap long extension from Harbor Freight, a wobble adapter & a 17mm socket takes it out in a few seconds.

No real need to put a new crush washer on it. Just make sure it gets reinstalled.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
That tranny fill bolt is so easy and quick to unbolt!

I get it that some would want to avoid it, but a cheap long extension from Harbor Freight, a wobble adapter & a 17mm socket takes it out in a few seconds.

No real need to put a new crush washer on it. Just make sure it gets reinstalled.
People like to think it's easier to do it thru the dipstick, I've never really figured out why. I got my fill plug off in a few seconds with 2 long extensions and a wobble.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Both the fill and drain plugs are easier to break loose if the transmission is warm. That's when I do it.

Also, when I spoke to a few dealer parts departments they told me their techs usually don't replace the fill plugs washers; they typically just replace the drain plug washers only.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Both the fill and drain plugs are easier to break loose if the transmission is warm. That's when I do it.

Also, when I spoke to a few dealer parts departments they told me their techs usually don't replace the fill plugs washers; they typically just replace the drain plug washers only.
It would be impressive for the fluid to leak out of the top of the transmission case...

·
Registered
444 Posts
I always fill through the fill hole as well (really...it's not that hard to access), however, I just did a change on a 2014 with the six speed tranny and it's been moved and there's a hose in the way and some sort of fuse box. For the first time, I filled through the dipstick tube. However, the tube on the 2014 is huge and it was easy to get a large diameter vinyl hose in there. The dipstic tube on the 2006 is much thinner if I recall correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.