Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Wondering if I need to run the car to regular working temperature before doing the drain and fill like the oil change?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My understanding on any fluid change, you want to bring them to normal operation temperature.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding on any fluid change, you want to bring them to normal operation temperature.
That make senses when it apply to engine oil change, but I am not sure how to bring the atf to operation temperature

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Warming the atf up is really as simple as turning the car on and shifting between the gears to let it flow while parked in your driveway. Let it sit for a few minutes, then do the turn off and check procedure that Acura specifies.

I don't really recommend driving it around unless you're absolutely sure you replaced the correct amount of atf. I've seen some guys replace less on accident and then head grinding from having too little fluid. Sounds like that are never good on a tranny.

There's a couple threads here that have asked for the atf check procedure so search around for it. I would find it but I'm on my phone so it's not that easy. But it's basically you need to check within a certain amount of time after turning off the car. It's very short, not 10 mins

Nvm found it: https://www.mdxers.org/threads/atf-level.146690/#post-1286242

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Warming the atf up is really as simple as turning the car on and shifting between the gears to let it flow while parked in your driveway. Let it sit for a few minutes, then do the turn off and check procedure that Acura specifies.

I don't really recommend driving it around unless you're absolutely sure you replaced the correct amount of atf. I've seen some guys replace less on accident and then head grinding from having too little fluid. Sounds like that are never good on a tranny.

There's a couple threads here that have asked for the atf check procedure so search around for it. I would find it but I'm on my phone so it's not that easy. But it's basically you need to check within a certain amount of time after turning off the car. It's very short, not 10 mins

Nvm found it: https://www.mdxers.org/threads/atf-level.146690/#post-1286242

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I just check the TSB for flushing tranny, they actually rev up to 3000rpm while the car is parked. I tried to find a complete procedure for the atf drain and fill, but don't see it in the manual.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
For a literal extra measure of assurance - measure the volume of the fluid you drain out and then replace it with precisely the same volume of new fluid.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the reminder, and yes, I have been checking the fluid level for the whole week, it is just a little bit over the min dot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
This assumes that the previous level was exactly correct.
One should check the level before and after, of course, and I also made an assumption it's the 2014/2015 6 sp trans. That's why checking the drain volume is an 'extra' measure of assurance.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I followed the guide line as provided above, check dipstick after 1mins when the engine is off

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
warming up is not necessary but certainly ok. Do NOT flush any Honda auto tranny, per Honda. Easy job for DIY, just a little messy. lots of videos on YouTube but here’s is one specific to 2015, which I think you have: and only use Honda fluid!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts