Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do a ATF flush soon and want to make sure the procedure below is adequate. Thanks

1. Drive the car a little bit to warm up the engine.
2. Drain and refill 3 qts of ATF and drive at difference gear for 3-5 miles.
3. Drain and refill 3 qts of ATF and drive at difference gear for 3-5 miles
4. Drain and refill 3 qts of ATF and drive at difference gear for 3-5 miles
5.Drain and refill the final 4 qts of ATF and drive at difference gear for 3-5 miles. This is the final refill, check and add just a little bit more ATF if need.

Need 13 qts of ATF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
That is the same procedure I used; although you listed a 4X4 drain and fill.

I also measured the amount drained and replaced with same amount, slightly over 3 qt for mine.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. So 3x3 is 3 drain and 4 fill up? It has been a little over 30k miles since I did my last flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Ok. So 3x3 is 3 drain and 4 fill up? It has been a little over 30k miles since I did my last flush.
No, as the name would imply, a 3x3 is 3x drain + 3x fill.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Before you begin, check the fluid level.

With the engine warm, turn it off and measure within one minute.

Let's say you're completely full...you should be able to drain a little over 3 1/2 qts.
If you're 1 qt low, then you will only be able to drain a little over 2 1/2 qts.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Before you begin, check the fluid level.

With the engine warm, turn it off and measure within one minute.

Let's say you're completely full...you should be able to drain a little over 3 1/2 qts.

If you're 1 qt low, then you will only be able to drain a little over 2 1/2 qts.
Here’s your more thorough explanation you’ve written up before (I liked & kept it):

After each gravity drain and fill, you should keep your foot on the brake pedal while you shift into each gear, then repeat.

Next manually shift as you drive, starting at its lowest gear and slowly drive up to 2500 rpm. Shift to the next gear and slowly drive up to 2500 rpm.

After you've driven in all the gears, including reverse you need to let the tranny shift, by itself.

Put it in drive and slowly speed up and feel each shift. The tranny will shift in to its cruising gear around 4200 rpm and the rpm will drop. Find a parking lot and back up about 100 feet.
It's ready for its 2nd gravity drain and fill.
(Carpayment4life)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts