Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have problems with AT&T's cable modem?
I have been having problems with their service recently. I have been without internet for over two weeks now and still don't know when they are going to fix it. Arrrgggggg!!! It takes them about two weeks for anyone to take a look at the problem.

I'm wondering how reliable is the DSL compared to cable modems.
With frustration with the AT&T's support, I just might change over to DSL if DSL seems to be more reliable than cable modem.

Any comments and suggestions will be nice.
Thanks.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Cable Modem

I have both a cable modem an a DSL line. The cable modem is more or less a shared environment and does suffer from slow response times (when the network is being over-utilized) and extended outages during vendor ugrades and enhancements. DSL is a more dedicated technology with a guaranteed amount of bandwidth both on th upside and downside of the circuit. I would not except the amount of downtime that you are experiencing with AT&T. Ask for some of your fees to be rebated to you!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
whitemdx,

I'm also in the bay area so was tranistioned over to attbi after the @home debacle in early December. We were down for 2 days then back up.

Mine's been up ever since -- no downtime for email or net. Speed is the advertised (and now capped) 1.5 down and 128 up. No diff for basic surfing, but obviously do notice the diff for large file downloads. FWIW ping times are better on the attbi network.

What, exactly, is down @ your end? Do you have a solid light (link) to the network, or is it flashing? I'm running a linksys router and did have to make some changes to the configuration.

You might check out www.dslreports.com and head over to the ATTBI forum...lotsa folks there have already troubleshooted and resolved transitional/connectivity issues, if yours is related to that!

BTW, I *still* hear the horror stories about PacBellDSL around here (multiple failed installs, etc). Our cable's been great since day 1. Of course, I understand that means nothing to you right now. I think a lot of the decision for many people boils down to "who do I hate less: ATT or PacBell"...dslreports site has info on PacBell in the area, too, so you might gain some insight on their quality of service, too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was also transisitoned over to attbi cable service here in the Bay Area. It took about 4 days to get service back up, but has been fairly solid since. There have been a couple times when the system has been down, but only for an hour or so.

As Worm states, the speeds have been throttled back a bit, but overall service has been good.

I can't get DSL at my house, so cable is the choice and it's better than dial-up:D

I'm not a big ATT fan, which is why I have DIRECTV, but I do like the high speed cable pipe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was fine after the attbi transition until two weeks ago. According to the technicians, they constantly have problem with the cable TV technicians. Cable TV technicians don't have any konwledge of internet connections. So they do their maintanence and as long as there is TV signal, their job is done regardless of whether they ruined the internet connection. I think this is what happened with me in my case. I had fairly stable connection until two weeks ago.
I've been wrestling with the first line of tech support which got me nowhere. They just tell you that it is being worked on. I finally got fed up and spoke to the supervisor and got some answer.
With my case, it took them 10 days for the technicians to show up. They found the problem with my line and requested "line technicians" to work on it. According to the tech support supervisor, that takes 7 to 10 days. It has been already. If it doesn't get resolved within those days, they will resubmit a request to those "line technicians" to work on it. Who know how long that will take???
So for those of you who has attbi cable internet, cross your fingers that you don't go through what I am going through. I thought waiting for MDX was bad enough.
Now that I'm so used to the cable modem connection, I'm spoiled. I'm really really really frustrated without my internet at home.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have used Pacbell DSL for over a year now and had never have problems with the connection. There were only a couple of times that I couldn't get connected, but only for a short period. I am also happy with the speed of the donwloads. I never really measured the actual transfer rate, but its overall experience is better than that at work!

I wish I can say the same thing about Pacbell's service department's quality and availability. It usually takes me a long time to find someone to talk to, and when i do, I usually cannot get the answer I look for.

In short Pacbell DSL works great (for me at least), if you don't have probems, or if you can solve them on your own.

I recently got a laptop and installed a router with wireless connections, and it's great! Now I can take my laptop anywhere (within 300 feet or so, with decreasing connection quality and speed the further you are away from the router) and still be able to serf the net! The downside is I am now spending more time on the internet, since it's so easy. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
kinmanc
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing