Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, appreciate and feedback on what this noise is I'm experiencing on my wifes 2012 Acura MDX Advance. 87k miles on the odometer.
The noise only stays for a minute or two. It seems to change slightly depending on if the car is in park or drive.

See link below for a video I took. Please ignore the mess in her car....

The noise is loudest near the end of the video. Appreciate any input!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yikes, I'm afraid this sounds like the hydraulic timing belt tensioner going loose. Better get that confirmed fast. When was the last time the TB was changed? Did you use the OEM components? In any case, get that looked at ASAP. TB failure will likely mean engine being scrapped, and you don't want that, as J37A is the single most powerful and most expensive Honda V6 ever produced.

·
Registered
981 Posts
serp belt tensioner or timing belt tensioner.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
look into/watch youtube on how to use a screwdriver or long tool as a mechanics stethoscope. It could be the tensioner for the timing belt, the A/C compressor, alternator, etc. Use the tool to help pinpoint what is causing the sound before throwing parts at the issue.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The easiest way to find out if it's related to the serpentine belt is to remove it and start the car. If the sound is gone, this means it's serpentine belt related. If not, well... there's your hydraulic TB tensioner...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same exact sound on my '11 MDX upon cold startup. Goes away after engine heats up. Did you isolate the noise? I have 90k and timing belt has NOT been replaced. (yet)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Acura recommends a timing belt service at 7 years or 105,000, which ever comes 1st.
When was the TB serviced?
Hi. Is there any info about "7 years" in owner's manual for Acura MDX 2012? Or maybe do you have some web link? I checked owner's manual and did not find this info about years.

I know it's not Acura link, but it looks like I see the same info as in owner's manual for MDX 2012:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hi. Is there any info about "7 years" in owner's manual for Acura MDX 2012?
No.

Or maybe do you have some web link?
No, it's an internal Acura rule of thumb. Think of it the same way as with code A, which officially is just oil change without a filter change, but every Acura dealership will tell you that they never leave the old filter and that they always change it.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hi. Is there any info about "7 years" in owner's manual for Acura MDX 2012? Or maybe do you have some web link? I checked owner's manual and did not find this info about years.

I know it's not Acura link, but it looks like I see the same info as in owner's manual for MDX 2012:
The issue is Honda/Acura don't publicly disclose a "time" for the timing belt service but rather a mileage interval after the introduction of Maintenance Minder system. Before the system, rule of thumb was every 7 years. More recently (about 2004ish) tech's started seeing that the rubber was not deteriorating as fast as older belts and would be good until 10 years thus some recommending 10 years.

Here is what the official statement from acura is:

the 60K miles/100K KM interval is based on "severe" service for temps under -20F/-29C, above 110F/43C or with towing. If your vehicle falls into any of those 3 categories I'd advise sooner replacement rather than later.

Rubber does tend to become more brittle when cold, and with you being in canada I'd highly recommend sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you guys for your replies.

I agree with you about rubber getting worse each year. I live in Vancouver, but I have my MDX for one year and it previously from cold Alberta (but not so cold as numbers in the owner's manual), without a hitch so I assume no towing used before.

My Acura MDX 2011 has 108000 km. The interesting thing I was at 2 independent repair shops and they told me don't change the timing belt until 160000 km. Then I went to the Acura Langley BC dealer and they told me to wait until 160000 km. I know they don't care about my vehicle or they know something about the timing belt and somehow they all don't want to take my money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts