Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

All my vent based magnetic holders does not work well any more due to the vertical design of the vent, also I don't prefer the use of stick pads (residue?). Please let me know any other good choices that can keep my phone around the center console. THX!

·
Registered
353 Posts
What I did is made one up using the "ProClip" mount specific for the MDX, and gluing to that base a generic Magnetic Charger instead of using a ProClip mount specific for the phone. That way, when I get a new phone, I don't need a new mount.

Here is a picture of that in a different car to give you an idea - same idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all,

All my vent based magnetic holders does not work well any more due to the vertical design of the vent, also I don't prefer the use of stick pads (residue?). Please let me know any other good choices that can keep my phone around the center console. THX!
Im planning on getting the Proclip mount once the 2018 Hybrid is released.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just wanted to note that I came across this thread for suggestions and glad I listened to those who suggested the ProClip.

Here is the review I posted for them on their page:
After reading mixed reviews of ProClip, I took a chance and placed an order and hoped for the best. I was reluctant to spend $70 for a phone holder, but I was doing the math and realized I've already spent close to that much on various phone holders that simply don't work. I've never been a fan of vent-clipped mounts or suction-cup mounts as either they block the vents or they eventually fall off. I also don't like having to place a metal plate in the phone case for magnet mounts.

I placed an order for the vehicle-specific mount along with the phone holder. Very shortly, I received a notice that the mount that I ordered was not in stock but will be available within the next 2 days. I needed the phone mount ASAP so I just asked if I can switch to a different mount that was in stock. The rep (Victor) responded right away saying that another mount was in stock and said he can process the order once I gave him the go-ahead. I did and I received my order within 5 days.

The pieces are well made (the ProClip decals are tacky too my tastes, but that doesn't take away from the product). I carefully read the instructions and tested everything before I mounted/screwed anything. Everything fit pretty well, with the only tricky part was re-attaching the ball mount. Once set up, the mount is solid and secure and definitely the best phone holder I've used in any car.

TLDR:
Great customer service and great product. I will likely get this for my other cars.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
For the MDX I put the phone flat on the lower center console lid, behind the cup holders. The rubber strips do a fantastic job of holding the phone, even when cornering/braking; and I have quick access to the phone, if needed.

The only time I use phone mounts is on my motorcycles and mountain bikes. When I see them in cars I think it's tacky.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just wanted to note that I came across this thread for suggestions and glad I listened to those who suggested the ProClip.

Here is the review I posted for them on their page:
After reading mixed reviews of ProClip, I took a chance and placed an order and hoped for the best. I was reluctant to spend $70 for a phone holder, but I was doing the math and realized I've already spent close to that much on various phone holders that simply don't work.
Similar experience - just received and installed yesterday. Best holder I've ever had and while I didn't mind my previous one (although as a suction mount would still have to be frequently 're-suctioned'), it couldn't be adjusted to new phone and glad I bought this.

Two notes:
-I couldn't find locally until I searched under Brodit name.

-Instructions say you need to use the tool to pull up panels slightly, but I found while getting ready/checking placement that pushing down clipped it in place solidly.

-It may not be clear from the instructions, but you can actually combine/assemble all the bits before installing on the dashboard, and it doesn't make installing any more difficult (in my opinion). I think that's easier than installing and then assembling (especially in winter!). Once adjusted, it's not a holder that you'll want to use for different phones (or phones of different sizes), adjusting requires screws. (You can replace the phone-holding part of assembly by buying new)

-Placement - from my height and preferred position, the placement is comfortable and only blocks my view of a modest sliver of the upper left portion of the lower screen. Convenient enough but way that power cable goes might bother some slightly (hangs slightly around/near the gearshift); easy solution is to use something to clip the cable out of way.

-On the other hand, placement is superb for letting driver have easy access to phone without stretching or shifting. Every other location I've ever used is more uncomfortable, meaning some leaning/stretching which is not always convenient.

Because the placement is so specific and only adjustment is rotating ball on the mount, it may not please everyone. But it mounts incredibly solidly and very stable, unlike just about every other mount I have ever tried on several cars. Worth the money if you like the placement.

Note on placement: there are precious few places on the MDX console where placement doesn't interfere with something; they found a good spot where mounting doesn't require major modifications. So congrats to Brodit/Proclip. Incredibly solid but some things are subjective like placement. Worth the money compared to trying various phone holders that end up being next-to-useless.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I bought not expensive clamp mount from amazon then lock the suction cup directly to the left side of GPS screen...

https://www.amazon.com/Cellet-PHT850BK-Dashboard-Windshield-Samsung/dp/B00NYPBO26/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&qid=1516122260&sr=8-46&keywords=phone+clip+mount+for+car

:smile2:
heh...this is a better solution.

for some...with the better traffic alerts and up-to-date alternative mobile maps. the upper screen on the MDX is utilize less. so there's no issue blocking some of the content on the screen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts