Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all Acura Dealers so arrogant? They think that they are doing you a favor by selling you a car. I guess I should be happy that I can buy the car for only window sticker with no required options. All options are full list. Damn, I wish I liked another SUV as much as the MDX. My new MDX is scheduled to be delivered later this week or early next week.

I have had an RL for about 4 years and really liked the car and hope for the same appreciation of the MDX. It has not been because of the great service I have received form the dealer here. The dealership here in Madison has been less than stellar, but if you want an Acura, you have to deal with them. They are the only dealer in Wisconsin. I am jealous of you who have a choice of dealers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
J.D. Powers can help.

There is no excuse for any auto dealer treating their customers the way you've described...whether they are the only Acura dealer in town or not.
If you'd like to take some action...why not write a factual, calmly-worded letter to Acura of North America stating the way you were treated and "copy" J.D. Powers & Associates in Agoura, CA?
It may not change anything, but it will certainly get the telephones ringing in the upper management offices at the Madison Acura dealer. Believe me, Acura North America HATES to hear about their dealers not treating customers right.
Acura needs to learn "the Lexus lesson" and only when customers speak up will things start to change.
And, incidentally, ALL Acura dealers are not that arrogant.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Leader hit the nail on the head. Acura corporate recognizes that their dealer network is the current weak link in their performance. Acura is building GREAT vehicles and selling them for extremely competitive prices. Intitial quality is incredible, the cars are durable and perform well, and resale values are high. But even long-time Acura fans like me have to admit that Lexus is killing them when it comes to consistent excellence across dealers.

A factual, calmly-worded letter to Torrance WILL get results. They can't do much about the laws of supply and demand (i.e., if MDX's and their accessories are going for full MSRP, then so be it), but they will not tolerate poor treatment of customers. This, in my opinion, is the difference between Acura and BMW: With Acura, the product is outstanding and the corporation is trying to get their dealers to match it with great customer service, whereas with BMW the product is so-so and corporate is happy to encourage the "better-than-everyone-else" attitude with their retailers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Learn how to "search" on the internet!

American Honda Motor Co, Inc.
Acura Division
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

J.D. Power and Associates
30401 Agoura Road
Agoura Hills, CA 91301

Both these addresses are readily available. The Honda address is in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I also was upset by the way Acura dealerships deal with their clients.

I expected much more friendly service from them and less pushy. At one dealership, we visited with my wife, salesperson just sat with his legs crossed looking up at us standing(even didn't bother to offer to have a seat) in front of him and cried how difficult his life is. No offering to have a test drive even though a car was available(but it's by appointments only). Looked like unhappy when we asked to show the car. Referred to himself as a "best producer".

At the other location everything was great including salesman, but they had a "rule" - you have to buy some accessories. Was not a big deal actually(they had more or less reasonable prices and allowed to pick less costly ones), but why should they force it? It's not what luxury is about.

Finally, I found the dealer who offered an MDX for MSRP with NO forced accessories. Plus a little faster than the previous one. I felt good with them(no pressure, very friendly and easy to deal with) and left a deposit. I got my car almost as promised and was happy ..., but small things came in finally at delivery time. Actually at signing time(till then it was pretty good). And it was a real disappointment since they were small(comparing to the whole price and class of the car and previous service).

The thing is that when I ordered a car and got a copy of the order form I found out that it had wheels locks and window itching imprinted in it. I immediately asked my contact person at the dealership if it means that I have no choice, but got them installed(at that point I already new that they install them "by default" and try to charge when people come to get the car and that I could've gotten them for more than twice less). I was told - NO, if you don't want, you don't get them.

Of course, I got them installed(not that I was unprepared to find that). Main points of the following discussion/negotiation with the sales mngr. were:
1. His - we always do it and it can't be removed, labor is already done and if you don't want them, wait for another car, we could've sold the car easily for $3K more and still can if you won't take it, but we are honest and don't do that but sell our cars for the people in line and at MSRP, some other crap and finally, - just take the car and "BE HAPPY" it's so small etc.
2. mine ... okay it's pretty obvious. I just turned their last shot at them - it's so small for you, just waive the price....

It took some time(my personal I have to mention) and finally I got locks for free and a good deal on the other item in exchange on "excellent survey" from me, which they almost had before that anyway.

That's what I do not understand at all, - why should they make those "deals"? Why can't they just call and ask if a customer wants those options? I just don't want to have a "forced luxury", since it looks cheap.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Dealer arrogance and often outright rudeness and incompetence had been discussed at lenghs on this forum ever since its creation. Its a shame that in more than a year nothing really changed. :mad:

This just proves one thing - Acura corporate does NOT care about dealer-sales-related complaints and/or cannot (or do not want to) do much about them. :(

It is just so funny to read about all these dealers "begging" for "perfect" surveys. What for??? Who are they kidding???

Many dealers offer "windows etching" for a certain fee. I am not going into a discussion about all pros and cons of this procedure. All I know is that I got app. 10% discount on my insurance after having etching done by a local police precinct employee. It was for free and the guy even refused a tip! Moreover, he "begged" me to send to him anyone else who would be interested ( I see no reason why one should not be!) I am quite certain that similar programs are available in many/most/all(?) areas as a part of nation-wide H.E.A.T. and other similar initiatives.

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are only three ways I can think of for Acura corporate to know how a particular dealership is treating its customers:

1) Send in spy customers who actually work for Acura and have them record their experiences. This is extremely effective but maybe too expensive.

2) Get letters from especially pleased or especially irate customers. This is helpful, because only the extremes at either end will actually take the time to put pen to paper. On the other hand, they often will not get enough data to do much with (i.e. if one dealer had five bad letters written about them, is that enough to assume that all customers are treated badly?).

3) Use the surveys. This is clearly the approach they are taking. Acura sends a survey to EVERY new customer, hopes for a decent return rate, and then allocates cars, etc. based on the results. A dealership that does well on the surveys gets more MDX's than one that performs poorly, and since a hot item like the MDX equals profits, it is very much in the dealer's interest to get good survey results. Unfortunately, many of them try to pressure customers into saying how great things are rather than just working to make things great to begin with!

THAT'S why they are always begging for top-notch surveys.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I knew it was possible to get etching(sorry for the misspelling) for free, but did not know it's so easy! Thanks for the info, vip9!

I agree with you, Iceman and would like to add one more obvious way for Acura to get overall impression, - this forum. It's probably not very scientific, but sure can provide some input for possible improvements. I actually have been thinking for a long time why we do not have an Acura representative(or direct link to) here? Where else they can easily get a country-wide picture?

Most upsetting thing about my dealer, as I mentioned, - I was almost completely happy with them, till that discussion happened. Honestly, I got my deal(not so good as I found ;-) ), but kept thinking about not giving him "excellent report". I feel kinda sold out for less than $200... Bad feeling.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You must complain.

The facts of running a business have not changed. Most dissatisfied customers simply will not take the time to complain to the "proper person." Many of us have expressed our displeasure with a clerk, counter-person, or bank teller...but, you're talking to the wrong person.
If you have a problem with an Acura dealer you can lodge a complaint with the General Manager (hopefully not the Sales Manager). You should also send a calmly-worded letter to Acura of North America (irate letters get tossed). And, most importantly, you can honestly complete the survey sent to all Acura new car buyers...indicating where the dealership let you down.
Face it - if you don't make your feelings known to the people in power, nothing will change. Always make sure you're complaining to someone who can do something about your concerns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
Leader(in L.A.)
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing