Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 MDX with 52K miles - which means I am out of my warranty. I have looked at the TSB threads and I am not clear if TSB's are covered only under warranty. One thread states that some TSB's are covered under warranty - but I do not know how to tell which ones or if all are.

I am looking at the following TSB's:

B16-035 Clunk in rear end
B14-031 Steering Column Noise
B16-008 Chirp noise from engine

But am not really willing to pay out of pocket for the fixes.

Any insight/knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Official Honda/Acura policy is "Some repairs may be eligible for coverage beyond normal warranty periods". These are considered "Goodwill" repairs, and may be full or partial pay by the manufacturer. I think it is mentioned in the warranty booklet.

You need to approach a dealer with any request to start the process towards possible approval.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Depending on how good the relationship is with your dealership if they would cover the repairs or even give you a discount since you are just barely out of warranty.

Acura usually will cover a TSB if it is a safety related item like when I needed to replace my power steering hose on my TSX because it could leak and cause an engine fire. Acura might even offer an extended 100,000 miles warranty down the road if there are enough failures. Acura did this for my A/C unit that failed at 90K for my 08 RDX and the magnetic shocks for my 11 MDX Adv.

You will most likely be 100% responsible for the cost unless you are under the 4/50,000 basic, you have an Acura Care extended warranty and the item is covered, falls under a safety TSB/recall, or specific factory extended warranty for that item. I had to pay out of pocket for my 08 RDX to fix a TSB for a groaning sound under the dash at start up cause by the A/C baffles adjusting.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Acura might not cover the TSB even if your vehicle 'was' still under warranty. They often require that a vehicle exhibit the problem described in the TSB. It depends on what the TSB issue is.

Some TSBs just have a software update as the resolution. This means no out of pocket parts cost and s/b more palatable for a dealer to consent to.

The bottom line - contact the dealer and ask them but be prepared to state the issues your vehicle is exhibiting to cause you to think the TSBs s/b applied to your vehicle. For example, my 2014 doesn't have a rear end clunk or other noise issues you mentioned so I haven't had those TSBs applied and don't plan to unless the problem appears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Acura might not cover the TSB even if your vehicle 'was' still under warranty. They often require that a vehicle exhibit the problem described in the TSB. It depends on what the TSB issue is.

Some TSBs just have a software update as the resolution. This means no out of pocket parts cost and s/b more palatable for a dealer to consent to.

The bottom line - contact the dealer and ask them but be prepared to state the issues your vehicle is exhibiting to cause you to think the TSBs s/b applied to your vehicle. For example, my 2014 doesn't have a rear end clunk or other noise issues you mentioned so I haven't had those TSBs applied and don't plan to unless the problem appears.
The 3 TSB's I listed are the ones where I see symptoms. I had mentioned the rear end clunk on an earlier service visit (prior to the actual TSB) but, of course, they found nothing.

I had read on this forum of others having the steering noise and the chirp with no resolution so I did not even mention it to my dealer. I may end up on the bad end since I didn't mention the issues previously.

Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not necessarily apples to apples, but I had a Nissan Pathfinder that had a 3/50K warranty and 2 months out of warranty (only 32K miles on the car) I had a $1200 issue that had a TSB out on it. I did all of my own maintenance so Nissan denied my request for repair. Said if I had had my maintenance done by Nissan techs it would have been covered. I probably saved $1200 by doing my own maintenance but just the same I'm no longer a loyal Nissan customer.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts