Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have owned my MDX for almost 3 weeks now and quite enjoy it. Aside from doing some maintenance on some wear and tear items and sending the NAV unit to be fixed which I was aware of, there hasn't really been any issues...

That being said, I am wondering a few things, with which you may be able to shed some light, with you all being MDX owners...

1. The AM reception has a LOT of interference, feedback. My previous cars (Volvo XC90 and Nissan Sentra) did not have this. Some stations which were crystal clear before in AM (ie. sports and news shows) now have a lot of interference in the background, even though the stations are local. Is this normal, or is this something that can be fixed? If so, is it easy? I noticed the FM is similar - very few stations come in in stereo, which is too bad because the Bose system is truly great, especially on CDs.

2. I just recently had the brake pads and rotors replaced with very good ones. I still notice, however, that I have to apply a lot of pressure to brake...I have heard that this "soft braking" is normal for a 2004 but apparently in 2006 is better. Has this been your experience?

3. On cold days that snows, one of the windshield wiper sprayers seems to get iced up a lot. Of course it had to be the driver's side. The passenger side is fine. I just had to stop the car and dig away at the iced up area...but it's weird one side is doing it and the other is not.

4. A bit of rust around the wheel wells. I have heard that Honda uses the rubber trim around there and that one of the bad side effects is that it traps moisture. One of the pieces of rubber is coming apart so I am wondering whether I should remove it altogether? I recently got it rust proofed, so if I remove the rubber, the metal underneath would not have been treated though.

5. I noticed when my son sits in the passenger seat and buckles up, the SRS light comes on. My mechanic scanned the codes and said both his buckle and my buckle need replacement. Mechanically the seat belts work fine but what is the downside of not fixing this? I don't have the SRS light on the driver's side but my son does. Even if no one is sitting there and I am parked and buckle the seat belt, the SRS light comes on so definitely the buckle. But wondering what the impact is for not fixing (at least right away)

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

·
Registered
267 Posts
1) No, I get great reception. Maybe the wire is loose inside?

2) Sounds like your brake guy didn't bleed the brakes when the pads were changed.

3) Many reasons from how you park to maybe only one wiper was changed recently.

4) No idea, I live in West Coast where we don't have anything like that.

5) Get the Code from your Mechanic, if the buckle is bad that is fixable by Acura for free, if the code is a 62-1 (Right Seat Belt Buckle failure) Buckles and belts are unlimited warranty, ABS is NOT (go figure)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) No, I get great reception. Maybe the wire is loose inside?

2) Sounds like your brake guy didn't bleed the brakes when the pads were changed.

3) Many reasons from how you park to maybe only one wiper was changed recently.

4) No idea, I live in West Coast where we don't have anything like that.

5) Get the Code from your Mechanic, if the buckle is bad that is fixable by Acura for free, if the code is a 62-1 (Right Seat Belt Buckle failure) Buckles and belts are unlimited warranty, ABS is NOT (go figure)
Thanks...regarding #5, it is the buckle as he got 62-1 and 61-1...BUT the seat belt buckle lifetime warranty is US-only...it does not apply to Canada

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yes, remove the wheel arch moulding. Clean the area as best as you can with a fine wire brush, then apply an anti-rust paint like POR-15. I lived in NY State for many years, owned many Honda & Acura vehicles, and got to do a lot of that work.

·
Registered
695 Posts
1..yes, there were lots of complaints on the early MDX's AM reception...there was a TSB for it...mainly involves dropping the rear headliner and "cleaning" up the connections around the antenna...

The rest, you got me...I have not had those issues on my 02.

·
Registered
278 Posts
For #3 you can try cleaning out the sprayer with something soft like a old toothbrush. I assume you have windshield fluid that will not freeze such as rain x or that other company?

For #5 check on the Acura website if your vehicle has any open recalls I think there was one for the seatbelts at least on my 05.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
If you have a USB charger (or similar) plugged in, it will inject a host of radio frequency interference into your electrical system.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, remove the wheel arch moulding. Clean the area as best as you can with a fine wire brush, then apply an anti-rust paint like POR-15. I lived in NY State for many years, owned many Honda & Acura vehicles, and got to do a lot of that work.
Thanks Bluepill...I took your advice and removed them this morning. Interestingly, most of that trim has a metal backing but the last 4 inches or so does not, and that's what comes loose and retains the water, salt and crud, feeding the rust.

Glad it's gone. I can see several parts in it where it was trapping water and rust was starting to form. It's a lot worse on the passenger side than driver's side.

So for the POR-15 it looks like it comes in black, clear, silver, etc. So my MDX is green and it doesn't come in green - so do I just put on a clear coat and then try to buy some touch up paint to paint over it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts