Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, your advice would be much appreciated. We have a 2005 MDX with 220K- it needs front struts and new tires ( due to strut issue terrible wear on front, and I'm told one needs to replace all 4 even tho back two in almost new condition- Michelin). Check engine light is on, 2 Co sensors (P2251, P0134, P2254), some play in tie rods, needs alignment, all told around $2.5K in repairs with cheapo tires. Leather is bad inside. I think other than these issues, it seems to run well.Thinking to do just the struts and tires for safety, but not sure if it is time to retire her. This car would be used by teens so want to make sure it is safe. We need it for the summer, but then it wouldn't get much use until next summer. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The answer is always "depends". If $2,500 (or less) makes it safe and reliable in many markets $2,500 to buy a different car often results in a car that needs a grand or two spent on it, but if $2,500 buys you something that is better than your X after spending that money then buy a different car, but if not spend the money on the car you have. Another way to approach it is to use that $2,500 as a down payment on a more expensive car. In any case, if you choose to buy something else, make sure to get a pro inspection if you are not good at evaluating used cars yourself. I can't tell you how many times a newly purchased car was brought to my shop AFTER the purchase thinking it only needed minor work then finding out it needed massive work that was more than the car was worth. $2,500 doesn't buy much these days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello, your advice would be much appreciated. We have a 2005 MDX with 220K- it needs front struts and new tires ( due to strut issue terrible wear on front, and I'm told one needs to replace all 4 even tho back two in almost new condition- Michelin). Check engine light is on, 2 Co sensors (P2251, P0134, P2254), some play in tie rods, needs alignment, all told around $2.5K in repairs with cheapo tires. Leather is bad inside. I think other than these issues, it seems to run well.Thinking to do just the struts and tires for safety, but not sure if it is time to retire her. This car would be used by teens so want to make sure it is safe. We need it for the summer, but then it wouldn't get much use until next summer. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
@LEDFMDX
I would say it all depends on your financial situation and whether or not you're willing to do the work on your vehicle. If you can afford a new vehicle then sure why not, but its a lot of money and payments. $2,500 won't buy you a new vehicle, what you'll wind up with is a new/different set of issues. You can easily do all the repairs yourself, and the alignment is what $80? O2 sensors are about $30 each, the installation socket is about $15, shocks about $60, struts about $100, and the leather can be addressed with seat covers or junkyard replacements. Not a lot of money involved to bring it up to par, especially for teenagers. The repairs are so simple you could actually make your teens do them as you supervise.

·
Registered
800 Posts
@LEDFMDX
I would say it all depends on your financial situation and whether or not you're willing to do the work on your vehicle. If you can afford a new vehicle then sure why not, but its a lot of money and payments. $2,500 won't buy you a new vehicle, what you'll wind up with is a new/different set of issues. You can easily do all the repairs yourself, and the alignment is what $80? O2 sensors are about $30 each, the installation socket is about $15, shocks about $60, struts about $100, and the leather can be addressed with seat covers or junkyard replacements. Not a lot of money involved to bring it up to par, especially for teenagers. The repairs are so simple you could actually make your teens do them as you supervise.
Don't disagree and that's how I would do it, but all different skill sets out there and what one person views as easy the next is overwhelmed by the thought of tackling. As much as I have tried to pass along my skills to my son it never took, and when I am gone or no longer capable he is in for a rude awakening. I just did 3 door lock actuators on his Toyota Venza for $150 and that is $1,500+ at the dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an 03 MDX with 102k miles with the roof caved in about 6"...cheap.
One owner before me with a folder full of service receipts. Including recent timing belt and water pump(100k service).
good tires too!
Tampa area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not sure what the question is Tim, a caved in roof could mean a lot of different things including a roll over. Working on the mechanics of a vehicle is one thing, a caved in roof is quite another. If you have the equipment and skills to fix it knock yourself out, I wouldn't be comfortable purchasing a vehicle like that myself. An '03 is only worth about $2,000 but if you're skilled and already have access to a shop and the necessary tools you could probably get it to work, if not I would think that you'd wind up spending much more on just the roof than the vehicle is worth then you still have the mechanics to deal with. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts