Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Are running boards worth the investment (I see they run for around $500), or is it just for looks with no functional help to get in and out of car and a place where snow and ice accumulate?

We have a infant so not sure if the step would help when I put the car seat in and out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
As far as utility go my Sport Running boards are pretty much useless...
I am shoe size 9 1/2 and my shoe barely fits (6.10" Tall), I think the other running board (Not Sport) might be more useful since is not sleek flush to the car like the sport.

It is useful when I am cleaning the sunroof and roof of the car but that´s it.. On daily basis I dont use it at all.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have the advance running boards for my 11 MDX. I mostly got them for looks; but, they do come in handy for drying the roof after a wash or accessing the cargo box on the roof. My mom and mother-in-law get more use than the wife and I getting in/out. They really don't get in the way for me and my pants don't get dirty getting in/out if the boards need a little cleaning. I wish they came with some LED lighting on top or under the running board. I'm glad I decided to get them.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
My mom also has a Bad Knee and cannot use the board for the same issue..
She told me that the slate area was too little and she could not comfortably use it as a step.

Are the Advance Running Boards the same as my Sport Running Boards?
Sport Running Boards:

These are the ones I think are more useful:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got the sport ones for looks, protection, and the kiddos. I personally like the look of the sport ones and plus it adds some protection to the lower side panels from road debris. However, the ones that use them the most are the kiddos when getting in and out. I have 3 kids and the two older ones use them all the time. The youngest is 2 so these will be getting a lot of use in the next few years as well. Personally, I don't find them in my way when I get in and out... I usually step on it with my heel when getting out and I'm able to clear it altogether when I get in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input, i also have arthritis in my hips so I would be more interested in functional than looks aspect.

is it best to buy OEM product or would aftermarket work also? I live in western PA and dont see anything for sale on the used/craiglist market

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
thanks for the input, i also have arthritis in my hips so I would be more interested in functional than looks aspect.
Really just depends on what your hip difficulty is. We really just got them for looks and to help keep stones/mud/etc off the sides. They help a little in regards to the latter but not much. When we've taken some younger relatives with us (5/6yo) I've seen them used the boards.

My wife had surgery on her leg this winter and really had a hard time getting in the MDX for awhile. She drove one of our cars most of the winter but when she did use the MDX she said the boards definitely helped. She would step up onto the board with her good leg and then just sit down. So depending upon your hip injury it may help. I'd stop by a dealer that has one with the boards and just try it out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have after market running boards (they were on the car when I bought it) and they don't fit right … they slope down front to back. I need to see if I can adjust them, just hasn't been a priority. I really don't like them from a functionality standpoint. I'm 5'-8" and I step over them to get in and out and I think they get in the way. That said, I know the kids use them and I think my wife does, too (5'-0"). I do use them to wash the roof and access the roof box.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

is it best to buy OEM product or would aftermarket work also? I live in western PA and dont see anything for sale on the used/craiglist market
The OEM Advance running boards will have a larger step and has plastic cover so you don't have to worry about scratches on the foot step if it is muddy outside. They do come with a chrome trim along the edge. The edge seems to stay looking new after +2yrs with regular use for me.

I looked on-line for prices from other Acura dealerships. I then took the on-line price into my local dealership to see if they could match and they did. The good thing about the local dealership is they can offer 2 day free shipping sometimes because they are always ordering parts everyday. The local dealership also gave me a discount on labor since I been a customer for +10yrs (also did a roof rack and trailer hitch at the same time).

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I was suffering/recovering from back spasms, I found myself actually using the boards to get in and out. I would imagine that I probably would have managed without them as well but I think that I also found that they were pretty helpful especially when getting in. Granted back spasms and hip arthritis are two separate things so I guess it would depend on how bad your arthritis is. I would almost say maybe go to an Acura dealer and see if they have any used MDXs with the running boards... and just test it out :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Same as others that have kids. I agree that the sport running boards are really only useful for kids or small people with small feet.

The combo of running boards and lowering allowed my sons start getting in the car all by themselves before the age of three so it was well worth it to me.

Functionality aside, I found the sport running boards to complete the look and provide nice aesthetics too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts