1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yup, they're right. Leather trim. I still think they're pretty nice. Acura is kinda up front about it, from their web site:
Many features you might not expect in an SUV are standard, including leather seating surfaces for the first and second row seats
...and kinda not up front. ;)

There's no light on the panel next to the shifter, but the current gear selection is lighted on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The 'seating areas' of the front and 1st back row seats are perforated leather. In other words, where you sit your butt and rest your back. Other parts of the seats and all of the 3rd row seats are vinyl.
There are perforated leather inserts in the doors, and part of the steering wheel.
The shift knob is about half perforated leather, but many change it out for the burl one.
There is an illuminated shift indicator (day or night) on the instrument panel.
Most feel a little more luxury should have been indulged on the X, but it never really takes away from the enjoyment of owning one for most of us.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Autoweek is wrong -- I think

If autoweek is saying ONLY "leather ...side bolsters, arm- and headrests " that not right

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
So Far Nobody's Got This Right

This subject comes up every few months. Tim otta use this question for his next contest since it's rarely answered correctly. Dale's closest :)

I'm not gonna run to the garage to check everything, and am gonna rattle this from memory, but I'll start with the how do you tell explanation for those who aren't as lazy as I am and want to check:

- Get in your MDX and sit in the front seat
- Extend your fingers so your hand is flat
- Feel the perforated leather on the front seats
- Feel the side bolsters (seat and back area)
- Feel the front of the headrest

- Now, reach behind and feel the map pocket

That first grouping all felt smooth, right? The map pocket felt, uh, not smooth. Smooth = leather, not smooth = vinyl.

By memory:

- All of the forward side of the front row are leather: perf area, seat and side bolsters, headrest. I *think* the door-sides of the bolsters (where the SRS bags are) and the sides of the headrests might be vinyl (don't recall) - do the tactile check. The rear, indented portion of the front row seats are vinyl (map pocket area and directly above it).

- All of the forward side of the second row are leather: perf, seating areas, and seatbacks. The doorsides of the seat portion and backrest portions are vinyl. The portion of the headrests that your head touches is leather. The sides of the headrests are vinyl.

- The third row is vinyl.

- Yes, the door inserts are leather. The center console is vinyl covered. The door armrests are vinyl.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Posted at the risk of being branded a heretic:

Excuse me for interjecting here, but does anyone else enjoy the irony in the fact that it is so difficult to tell whether it is leather or vinyl? I mean with the obvious quality of the vinyl used in most luxury automobiles as a companion to, or substitute for, *real* leather, does it really matter?

I know we are taught that *real* leather is better, but I have found that the current generation of top-of-the-line vinyls are easier to clean and last longer (with minimal care) than most leather.

Nonetheless, it *does* make it confusing when you attempt to clean/condition the seats: Ok, this section gets Lexol, no..wait..this section gets Vinylex....now what was leather again?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Posted at the risk of being branded a heretic:

donsev said:
Excuse me for interjecting here, but does anyone else enjoy the irony in the fact that it is so difficult to tell whether it is leather or vinyl? I mean with the obvious quality of the vinyl used in most luxury automobiles as a companion to, or substitute for, *real* leather, does it really matter?
LOL - good point. When I was pecking away my last reply, I was thinking back to my 'old' 318iC. It was "leatherette" in BMWspeak. I remember before even looking at the car, I was worried that it was gonna be a vinyl like my '70 Chevy had. But, you honestly couldn't tell it wasn't leather...exept it didn't have the leather smell...;)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Re: Posted at the risk of being branded a heretic:

donsev said:

I know we are taught that *real* leather is better, but I have found that the current generation of top-of-the-line vinyls are easier to clean and last longer (with minimal care) than most leather.

Nonetheless, it *does* make it confusing when you attempt to clean/condition the seats: Ok, this section gets Lexol, no..wait..this section gets Vinylex....now what was leather again?
Good point.

Kind of reminds me of the MB salesmen that Alber Brooks is on the phone with in "Lost in America":
On the morning of his last day at work, he puts everything on hold while he has a long, luxurious telephone conversation with a Mercedes dealer. Brooks has great telephone scenes in all of his movies, but this one perfectly captures the nuances of consumerism. He asks how much the car will cost - including everything. Dealer prep, license, sticker, add-ons, extras, everything. The dealer names a price.

"That's everything?" Brooks asks.

"Except leather," the dealer says.

"For what I'm paying, I don't get leather?" Brooks asks, aghast.

"You get Mercedes leather."

"Mercedes leather? What's that?''

"Thick vinyl."

But seriously, if the people from the magazines get it wrong (and they are in a few dozen cars a month) and even owners here get it wrong, then the match between Acura's vinyl & Acura's leather is very very hard to tell apart.

For a fascinating glossary of types of leather/tanning processes check out his link:
http://www.eleatheronline.com:7575/glossary1.htm

·
Registered
446 Posts
What to use

Donsev. You bring up a good point on what cleaner to use. I have always know it wasn't “all” leather but didn't know what was or wasn't. When cleaning the seats I just use Lexol on everything and haven't noticed any adverse effects. Now that we have documented what is and what is not maybe I will switch cleaners......second thought....nah:D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
In the late 1970's, I bought a Plymouth Volare. The salesman proudly excaimed that the seats were made of genuine naugahide! He was really quite confused when I asked him how many naugas it took to make those seats!

·
Registered
77 Posts
shifter light

jonnygoodboy said:
There's no light on the panel next to the shifter, but the current gear selection is lighted on the instrument cluster.
Mine has a light next to the shifter as well as on the dash.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Lighted Shift Indicator

My 2 cents:

DASH:
The dash has shift indicators for P, R, N, D5, D4, D3, 2, 1 [these are black-out]. The current shift lever position is lighted [with or without having the X's lights on] = current shifter position is displayed [lit up] on the dash.

CENTER CONSOLE:
The shift gate has labels next to the shift positions = P, R, N, D5, D4, D3, 1<>2. These labels are ONLY LIGHTED when the X's headlights are on. There is NO INDICATION on the shift gate labels as to what position the shifter is in [e.g. some cars have shift gate lights that reflect the current shifter position, the X does NOT].

Unless my X is broken this is how the 2002 Xs work. While a 2001 may be different, I doubt this very much.

·
Registered
77 Posts
shifter

sure, the shifter light only comes on at night as it should. why would anyone need a light during the day?

for day operation, can't you tell where it's at from just looking at where the shaft is? or as you said, you can also look at the dash as it lights up there regardless.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
dcmdx,

I'm sorry, didn't mean to indicate that I had any problems with the shifter setup. I was simply trying to respond to the item originally raised by R Stevens. In fact the shift setup is just fine with me.

Though ... now that I am here ... the TL arrangement is more fun to drive.

·
Registered
77 Posts
hey srpbep,

no prob. ah yes, the TL setup would be nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts