Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all of the 'old timers' I have done a search and read the pros and cons of each....But, I have to make this decision today so the dealership can install on my new MDX. I have no idea which to get, I like each of the three equally. I've decided to go with whichever gets the most responses. Again, I've know the benefits of each, just want a final decision on which one. Members please type which you like...

1. Black Running Boards
2. Black Side Steps
3. Chrome Side Steps

Kill this thread after 4/1 3:00 pm Eastern

·
Registered
818 Posts
OP MDX said:
To all of the 'old timers' I have done a search and read the pros and cons of each....But, I have to make this decision today so the dealership can install on my new MDX. I have no idea which to get, I like each of the three equally. I've decided to go with whichever gets the most responses. Again, I've know the benefits of each, just want a final decision on which one. Members please type which you like...

1. Black Running Boards
2. Black Side Steps
3. Chrome Side Steps

I vote for "none of the above", IMHO the MDX looks better with nothing "hangin" off the sides of it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
OP MDX said:

1. Black Running Boards
2. Black Side Steps
3. Chrome Side Steps

Do you have any kids? If so, go with the Running Boards. If not, Chrome Side Steps. Good luck!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: April 1, 2003 Decision

Pac8 said:

Do you have any kids? If so, go with the Running Boards. If not, Chrome Side Steps. Good luck!
Have a 18 month old with more to come over the years. I was a little concerned with side steps with the 2± inch opening that a small foot could get stuck in. Is this your reasoning?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Side Steps

I vote for Black Side Steps.....

They look really cool on a Silver or Havasu Blue. I have the same on my HB !

So my vote is the Black Side Steps.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes! Little ones are the first on my priority list. Their safety is my first concern.

Even though the CSS would be nicer and sporty, but not worth the risk of getting the little ones hurt. It would also be easier for them to climb up and down with the RB.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Black Running Boards because of the kiddies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the MDX is a light color (white, silver, hav blue) I prefer the black running boards or side steps. If its a dark color then the chrome looks very nice. I am going to get running boards because I also feel these are the best for my kids. If you don't have kids the side steps are great if you prefer that look.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You should have it on the poll. It will be much easier to view the result.

Anyway, it good GREAT in any of them. But with the kids, I will go with running board.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
fendesj said:
If the MDX is a light color (white, silver, hav blue) I prefer the black running boards or side steps. If its a dark color then the chrome looks very nice. I am going to get running boards because I also feel these are the best for my kids. If you don't have kids the side steps are great if you prefer that look.
I agree exactly with fendesj.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
fendesj said:
I 2nd that motion, but running boards look too 'stodgy' anytime IMHO. But can't argue with their functionality.
Plus, I think stainless or chrome look good with any color.

Whatever you decide, consider ordering them from hondacuraworld.com, and do the install yourself.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Chrome side steps because they look great. IMHO, the chrome goes well with the chrome door handles and the OEM wheels for all colors (but especially the dark colors). BTW, my 2 and 4 year old kids use the side steps with no problem.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DaleB said:

I 2nd that motion, but running boards look too 'stodgy' anytime IMHO. But can't argue with their functionality.
Plus, I think stainless or chrome look good with any color.

Whatever you decide, consider ordering them from hondacuraworld.com, and do the install yourself.
fyi, final negotiated price for accessories is comparable with Tim's and includes installation. I'll be buying a bunch of other goodies from Tim in the near future that I can install.

From these initial posts, it sounds as if there is a clear consensus that side steps may be dangerous in conjunction with small children. Has anyone had an 'accident' with a side step? i.e. child slipping on one, etc

·
Registered
59 Posts
IMO

My vote would go to the running boards. When I bought our car 9 days ago I wasn't sure either but the dealer agreed to allow for a swap if I liked the chrome sidesteps better than the black running boards once he had a chance to show me what they looked like on a real car. Well, 4 days later he called me up and told me they had a silver X with chrome sidesteps and I should come check them out.

Well, they didn't look as cool as I thought they would (equal but different but I thought beforehand they'd just be spectacular) and the black running boards look outstanding on the silver anyways. Couple that with the fact that the sidesteps are almost unusable (which was another negative against the XC90) and I have a 2yr old with another little one on the way so I say go with the black running boards.

OverTime

·
Registered
549 Posts
Running boards

IMHO, the side steps are really designed to look like the nerf bars on a rock crawling 4wd where they actually serve the purpose to protect your rocker panels. Since I don't plan on using my X, or anyones X, for rock crawling why put on pretend nerf bars. (Again, my opinion. No offense intended.)

Also, neither the running boards or side steps offer any loss/gain in ground clearance, yet the step surface of the RB is closer to the ground and has better clearance to the bottom of the doors. This makes for easier ingress/egress. Also, as was mentioned, the RB's have no place to get a little foot stuck. And, RB's don't allow mud and crud to penetrate and accumulate from under the vehicle.

I would recommend the running boards.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
fendesj said:
If the MDX is a light color (white, silver, hav blue) I prefer the black running boards or side steps. If its a dark color then the chrome looks very nice.
:werd:

And IMO there is ample pad space on the sidesteps for kids, with little risk of slipping through the crack. Ours is 2.5yrs and has no problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Three choices for you

Chrome Sidesteps
Chrome Sidesteps
Chrome Sidesteps

IMHO, by the time the little ones are old enough to climb into the X their foot/with shoes on will be too big to get caught in the gap between the Sidesteps and the X. I am more concerned with my 3year old who likes to jump off the sidesteps like they are a diving board. :rolleyes: Good luck.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
More votes for chrome side steps!

I went through the whole thing with little ones (in fact, if you click on my Maniks! link, you will see a little one helping with the install...) The kids have never had any trouble with "falling through", I think that's pretty much a non-issue.

I like the way the chrome accents the door handles and other silver trim - black side steps are nearly invisible against the dark bottom molding.

IMHO, the running boards are for stodgy old folks. Come to think of it, I am a stodgy old folk, but I'm pretty jazzed with the look of chrome side steps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Side Steps

One other thing to think about with the sidesteps is entry/egress for the driver and passenger. Since they are not usable but still manage to protrude a good distance AND have a lot of depth to them what ends up happening is my calf slides down along them - sure it keeps them clean in that spot but my pants take a beating. My wife mentioned this when test driving the XC90 and I found the same to be true on the X.

However, I think I'd agree with most that the black running boards look better on the lighter color Xs and the chrome sidesteps look better on darker Xs.

Pretty subjective though - go with what YOU think looks better :). I wouldn't worry about childrens feet getting stuck with the sidesteps - I don't see that happening.

OverTime

1 - 20 of 30 Posts