Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading many posts on Autopia by detailers discussing applying Zaino with a random orbital polisher, I decided to give it a try. I saw an inexpensive Turtle Wax random orbital Buffer?Polisher at Home Depot for $19.95 and decided that it would be perfect as it has but one speed (3500 RPM) and that is the speed that was recomended on the Autopia site. When I first tried it, I did the drivers side of the hood only. I then inspected and compared to the other half. I was a little concerned that it might cause swirls. Upon inspection, I found that not to be the case. There were only the same little fine swirls that are only clearly visable in my garage under the halogen lights. Both sides were very similar in that regard. I then proceeded to do the entire X. I did, however, remove the Z2 by hand after hazing. The results were actually about the same as doing it by hand. I would say that there were two advantages, I was able to spread the Z2 far thinner than I could by hand with no streaks and it cut the drying time down to minutes. By the time I finished the tailgate, the hood was ready to wipe.
There were still lots of nooks and crannys that required me to apply the Z by hand.
Overall, I would recommend the use of the orbital, it cut the time by quite a bit, and allowed me to put on thinner layers than I had been by hand.:)

·
Registered
715 Posts
maik, at first glance I thought you used your "PC" (as in personal computer) to somehow robotically apply the Zaino...now THAT would be a trick! :D

I have used a random orbital machine (Porter) in the past, both for carnauba and Zaino. I found that the pads that I used seem to have soaked up more Zaino than I was actually applying to my X, so I deep-sixed the orbital and strictly apply by hand.

It's a bit more work, but not much. And my Zaino supply lasts a heck of a lot longer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts