Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
mdxlife
From a practical perspective, how difficult was this to install?
About how long did it take you to completely install?
Are you happy with the ease of operation and added functionality?

Would you do it again?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Be careful. Mdxlife has been asked to provide pictures and information regarding their install, in the past, and they have become incredibly combative and threatening. It has been theorized that Mdxlife is affiliated with NavTool and is not an unbiased party.

It should be noted that NavTool has been guilty of astroturfing on numerous forums, and several customers have come forward to explain that they felt scammed by NavTool.

I admit the new video looks more convincing than anything I've seen from them, in the past... But I would urge extreme caution on the part of anyone who wishes to engage NavTool.

Reactions: carli123

·
Registered
57 Posts
On NavTool website I only saw version 4.0 for sale. Are they selling the 5.0 somewhere as well?

Do you know what improved in 5.0 over 4.0?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mdxlife
From a practical perspective, how difficult was this to install?
About how long did it take you to completely install?
Are you happy with the ease of operation and added functionality?

Would you do it again?
I already had 4.0 simply swapped it out to 5.0

it same functionality as 2018 MDX plus you get optional phone mirroring

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On NavTool website I only saw version 4.0 for sale. Are they selling the 5.0 somewhere as well?

Do you know what improved in 5.0 over 4.0?

i ordered it over the phone, 5.0 uses factory joystick for CarPlay control just like 2018 MDX

·
Registered
2015 MDX Tech SHAWD
58 Posts
This version does look a lot more polished than the older one and even the Naviks unit I have. My experience was less than ok with Navtool so I'll see how this release goes if others give it a try that is.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This version does look a lot more polished than the older one and even the Naviks unit I have. My experience was less than ok with Navtool so I'll see how this release goes if others give it a try that is.
I seen Naviks at one of the Acurazine meet ups, its a joke, they run CarPlay via composite signal that's a 50 years old tech and makes image all pixelated,

image of NavTool CarPlay on my MDX is like HD no pixelation looks identical to my friends 2018 MDX when i compare both side by side

·
Registered
57 Posts
i ordered it over the phone, 5.0 uses factory joystick for CarPlay control just like 2018 MDX

Hi @mdxlife , can you make a video of the new system working in your own car showing the different functionality? I see the the manufacturer video on YouTube, but would like to see a video from an end user perspective. Just a quick 2-3 minute cell phone video showing the functionality and screen clarity would be fine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi @mdxlife , can you make a video of the new system working in your own car showing the different functionality? I see the the manufacturer video on YouTube, but would like to see a video from an end user perspective. Just a quick 2-3 minute cell phone video showing the functionality and screen clarity would be fine.

Thanks.

Guys I'm not affiliated nor do i make commission selling it, so please don't ask me to make 2-3 minute videos. I don't have the time to make videos, then upload them etc.....

the easiest answer to your question - CarPlay image is identical to one found in 2018 MDX

I had NavTool 4.0 and you could see bit of a difference, when you compare navtool 5.0 to 2018 mdx its identical

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Guys I'm not affiliated nor do i make commission selling it, so please don't ask me to make 2-3 minute videos. I don't have the time to make videos, then upload them etc.....
It just seems odd, to me, for someone who is not affiliated with a company to spend the majority of their posts on a forum promoting the company's products and being completely unwilling to provide any evidence they actually use said products.

We've sparred on this topic, before, of course. I'm just communicating my personal observations/opinions.

Reactions: renbkny

·
Registered
278 Posts
Their BBB rating is the coveted "F" but some interesting reviews if they are legit... https://www.bbb.org/us/ny/staten-island/profile/electronic-instruments/navtool-inc-0121-128020

The owner and perhaps the guy here commenting is Vitaliy Sokolov.

The issue is the lack or proof that it works on an MDX. If Vitaly was serious he would get a video together showing someone installing the unit in an MDX step by step and showing it working....

I bet my family would love to have car play in their 2015 mdx but this is just way too shady for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I contacted NavTool online. They confirmed that 5.0 is available. $549 US. It’s a lot of money to put out if the product doesn’t really work.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Well the company video is nicer than the old version. You can actually see vitaliy use and explain the install. AND he shows some disassembly at the end of the video.

But yeah, I'm still very weary of their practices. Even the BBB reviews all talk about 5.0 in similar language, so it's hard to trust they are real reviews.

Time will tell. Someone might get one someday and if it works, then that's at least an option. And it does look more plug and play than the old model which requires wire splicing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have an idea! How about if everyone pitches in and buys me one... I’ll install it in my MDX and then let everyone know how it went!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Their BBB rating is the coveted "F" but some interesting reviews if they are legit... https://www.bbb.org/us/ny/staten-island/profile/electronic-instruments/navtool-inc-0121-128020

The owner and perhaps the guy here commenting is Vitaliy Sokolov.

The issue is the lack or proof that it works on an MDX. If Vitaly was serious he would get a video together showing someone installing the unit in an MDX step by step and showing it working....

I bet my family would love to have car play in their 2015 mdx but this is just way too shady for me.
https://youtu.be/Gz0WNAgG-Gk
actually video shows how it works

1 - 20 of 21 Posts