Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a sprint booster to change the throttle characteristics in my 2010 X. The $250 did not sit very well with me for something that just re-scales the throttle resolution. With some research I found several companies make a similar device, though some have different features. I ended up finding a used Apexi Smart controller on ebay with PnP harness so I gave it a try.

Here is some info

Quick Tech: A'PEXi SMART Accel Controller - DSPORT Magazine

The install was laughably easy. Truly plug and play. Disconnect the harness going the throttle pedal, connect the module and mount it. The only question is where or if you want to mount the control switch.

So what it does is it intercepts your inputs to the accelerator control and sends the ECU a modified signal based on your inputs and a selected profile. This does not make your car faster or increase power. At best, it can slightly improve response time in milliseconds. What is can do is change the way the ECU responds to your normal inputs. Given a certain throttle input, it does make the car feel more responsive.

I am not going to argue the overall efficacy of such a device. The common argument against it is you can do with your foot what this device is doing for you. I will however take up that argument and say if you look at the profiles in the link above, it will become clear you would have a difficult time delivering the same signal, consistently and repeatably to the ECU. Even if you could, the feeling would be completely lost because you are doing all the work.

For me I am using this device to address this complaint I have always had with the X.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-sec...eration-pulls-then-shift-then-hesitation.html

I have been using the "Boost" modes or "high throttle". Both help address my major complaint, which is the rapid and noticeable shifting into 2nd and 3rd.

The boost mode is especially interesting because it "lofts" the throttle for you based on time and input. Very early in the throttle command it makes the ECU respond as it would under high demand and holds the shift. In a short amount of time the Apexi unit returns the throttle to normal, and the ECU responds accordingly. This feels seamless to the driver, only noticing more response, and a delayed shift. High throttle mode feels similar but stays scaled up after the initial throttle input. It makes the X feel stronger than it is. I have not used the eco modes or low throttle, but you can turn the unit completely off.

Bottom line, is this device does make the X feel better. Mostly by manipulating the ECU into shifting at a more appropriate time. However this is completely driver preference. The various modes are a nice touch although "boost 2" is a bit ridiculous, providing way more initial throttle than is needed. The other modes are smooth and seem nothing more than a more aggressive factory tune. As an added touch I decided to mount the control switch in the blank on the dash. Its easy to change modes, which can make it fun to play with as your mood changes.

Overall I recommend it if you want to make some subtle changes the response feel of the X. However, I would not pay full price for it either.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I like the clean installation of the button very nicely done indeed.. Kudos to OP for that sweet ass installation!!!

I hardly ever drive in full Auto anymore (mostly because of the retarded super fast upshifting that loves to lug the engine) so the input lag and trans delay is something I do not feel anymore, This little gizmo is sweet for the people driving in full auto all the time because the trans shift logic that is very dumb and tuned for ECO but for us that do use SS 24/7 it won't do anything more but to trash the throttle input senstivity ex: I want 20% to be 20% not 30%.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all!

The switch is back lit and the color indicates the mode. I pretty much use Hi-throttle, which is red, all the time. I still love it and well worth the money I spent. Having it for a while I can speak a bit more on the downsides.

1) The back light switch flashes in boost mode 1 and 2 when the controller is working. The purpose is to let you know when it is activated. The downside is at night I can see the light flash in the drivers mirror. You cant see the switch directly because the steering wheel is in the way. You can mount it somewhere else or cover it with something, or run it in a different mode. just FYI...
2) The first full tank of gas I lost about 40 miles. Some of this is to be expected, and some is likely because I was playing with it while new. If you use boost or hi-throttle modes, be prepared to give up some gas.
3) This is good or bad depending on how you look at it: After driving in high throttle mode for about 1 week, I forced myself to drive a day with the unit off (stock). OMG. It is almost un-driveable now! The throttle is sooooo lazy. I would have a hard time giving this this up now.

Still it does exactly what it should and I love driving the MDX a little more. So much the S2000 has not left the garage the last two weekends!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

This thing is very fun but..... The MDX is not a sports car and I am tire of getting 17mpg. Also the smart controller exasperated my oil consumption issues. So after about 6 months, I think I am going to uninstall it. Its been off for the last month and I have finally gotten used to the lazy stock throttle.

If anyone is interested in this, please let me know...

Thanks,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.