Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '16 SH-AWD with Tech, so it has the forward-looking camera. It seems like the windshield glass on these things is very prone to damage. Right now, I have to drive downtown by freeway every couple of days and it seems like every time I do, I wind up with another chip/small crack that will eventually require repair (I'll do small-scale repair first, but figure that within 10Kmi, this thing will need a new windshield).

My BMW gets rock dings in the windshield, but they're just small chips and they don't crack or run; nothing like the Acura gets.

- Has anyone else noticed the tendency to damage easily?
- Have you replaced your windshield yet? (what mileage)
- Did you replace with OE or what brand?
- Any special features (e.g.: tint, HUD coating, camera apertures) that might need to be specified?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
No problems yet here but when the windshield is replaced, the dealer needs to recalibrate the AWP cameras.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
If I was you I'd only go with an OEM windshield even if there are aftermarket ones available (and I don't know that there are). The windshield has sound deadening material in it that might not be in an aftermarket one. It's best to not risk an aftermarket one for something like this.

I have a little over 2 years on my 2014 Tech, have driven it coast to coast twice and a bunch of other places, and so far the windshield has only received one small chip in it. I haven't had the chip fixed yet but I'm going to try having it fixed with the simple chip fix process by Safelite or someone but haven't gotten around to it yet. My insurance doesn't cover getting chips fixed.

See what your insurance covers and stick with OEM.

Note - there are a couple other threads on here about windshield replacements so you might want to search for them. They were probably for the 2014 but I doubt the windshield has changed much, if at all.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Interesting thread, and ironically, I absolutely agree with the OP......I now have 3 cracks in my windshield which I have gotten filled in 1.5yrs of ownership, but all occurred in the past 12mos, something I have never had to have done on previous cars.

It's been commented on by people driving in my car, wow, you have a few good dings huh?

Having owned many cars over the years, and driven in much worse areas of the country, which are far greater prone, I cannot believe this and absolutely notice this as a difference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had my '16 replaced at the dealership due to an irreparable rock chip. I used OEM. The aftermarket one was available but actually pricier in retail cost! You WILL HAVE TO get the cameras re-calibrated, which is another step and so another cost.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great responses

Thanks all!

Good stuff in the responses. I'll make sure and look for the things mentioned.

I have a drive to San Diego planned in the near future. If it yields more pock marks/cracks, I'll be having mine replaced when I return. It looks like OE is the only option and I suppose I'm OK with that. :-/

·
Registered
180 Posts
i have 2014 mdx advance, was driving on highway approx 55mph then i saw a tiny rocking coming my way and left a mark, safelite repaired but it was very noticed, so i called and demand for OEM (original from dealer) and replaced, no need to calibrate camera or such.
perfect since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 MDX windshield had a cracked. A small rock spin off another car on the highway. I drove on this inner city highway every day in my Toyota Siena ( had it for 12 years) and no cracks of ship windshield. Had to replaced it, cost $2K plus. Good thing my insurance paid. The replacement windshield got air freight in and also damage during transport. I wonder if this is an Acura windshield not strong enough with withstand small flying object.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on getting the cameras recalibrated! Getting my windshield on Advance 2014 replaced soon. They tried an aftermarket but it didn't work right with the Heads Up Warning. Early on they thought they could replace with a different windshield, then thought they'd have to go OEM, then found another aftermarket they thought was just like OEM, then found it didn't work so now we're back to OEM and the total cost will be around $1400 (will cost me $1000 with the deductible). YUK.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had my windshield replaced a month ago by Safelite who told me that they can't use aftermarket even if it was available to due Acura's safety system. I paid $150 for the replacement and recalibration (paid upfront but reimbursed by my insurance). So far everything is working as if it came from the factory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 MDX Tech SH AWD W Rear Ent Acurawatch with less than 6k miles on it and had the windshield replaced yesterday. My windshield was hit by a very small rock and it spread quickly halfway across the windshield. The glass repair company had to obtain the windshield from Acura and the total cost was approximately $1,300.00. The repairman explained that the issues of the windshield cracks spreading quickly is not just an Acura issue but appear to be prevalent in some of the newer vehicles across the board as the automakers may be moving to a thinner and cheaper glass. He indicated that Jeep is by far the worst. I asked him if my cameras would need to be recalibrated and he indicated that they would and further indicated that often they need to be recalibrated if the installer does not keep the camera facing forward in its original position. There was another step in there that I do not remember. I tested all of the Acurawatch functions such as crash mitigation, lane departure and it appears to be working well after the windshield change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received a stone chip yesterday in my 2015 MDX. It was in the edge of drivers side above my sight line. Before i hd gone 10 miles the chipped area started a run. Today it is about 12 inches in length and directly in my sight line. I right now regret that my deductible is $1000.
I do believe these windshields are more susceptible to cracking as the manufacturers are cutting weights everywhere to achieve newer CAFE standards.
oil change

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I had known about windshield issues with the MDX, I would have taken that into consideration before purchasing and probably would have gone a different route. I have owned many cars throughout the years and never had the issues I've had with this MDX. It must be the way the vehicle is designed or the glass itself. I bought a certified used from a dealership July 2016, one month later, a small rock hit right on the edge of the drivers side and immediately split two feet across the windshield, directly in my line of sight. It continued to spread throughout the day and I had to get it replaced. Now, into the sixth month of ownership, another rock hit dead center in the middle of my class and put a deep chip in the windshield that is slowly starting to spread. I've never had to take other cars in for windshields like I've had to do with this one and I haven't even owned it for a year....

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I had known about windshield issues with the MDX, I would have taken that into consideration before purchasing and probably would have gone a different route. I have owned many cars throughout the years and never had the issues I've had with this MDX. It must be the way the vehicle is designed or the glass itself. I bought a certified used from a dealership July 2016, one month later, a small rock hit right on the edge of the drivers side and immediately split two feet across the windshield, directly in my line of sight. It continued to spread throughout the day and I had to get it replaced. Now, into the sixth month of ownership, another rock hit dead center in the middle of my class and put a deep chip in the windshield that is slowly starting to spread. I've never had to take other cars in for windshields like I've had to do with this one and I haven't even owned it for a year....
My '16 MDX is getting its windshield replacement for the second time next week (#3 windshield glass). Total of three damages all from rocks flying around I-80 in California: #1 Windshield was replaced due the cracks more than 6" and in front of my view, #2 Rock chip repaired, and #3 Damage more than 6" and spreading. All replaced or repaired by Safelite.

Same routine as the first one, dealership is going to recalibrate the sensors with my insurance reimbursing the cost. If you do get it the windshield replaced, make sure they move the rain sensor plastic film over otherwise the auto rain sensors will not work. Found that out a couple of months ago when California finally got rain. Dealership replaced the film and billed Safelite.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My '16 MDX is getting its windshield replacement for the second time next week (#3 windshield glass). Total of three damages all from rocks flying around I-80 in California: #1 Windshield was replaced due the cracks more than 6" and in front of my view, #2 Rock chip repaired, and #3 Damage more than 6" and spreading. All replaced or repaired by Safelite.

Same routine as the first one, dealership is going to recalibrate the sensors with my insurance reimbursing the cost. If you do get it the windshield replaced, make sure they move the rain sensor plastic film over otherwise the auto rain sensors will not work. Found that out a couple of months ago when California finally got rain. Dealership replaced the film and billed Safelite.
interesting.

aside from that. i thought the likes of Gorilla Glass (that's right, the ones that youve heard so much on your mobile phone) were going into the automotive market in order to provide their IP to the windshield for instance. has that not been implemented for other glass companies not Gorilla Glass? or is it cost for the new take or the license to use it, is what's scaring car manufacturers?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Just as another data point - I have a 2014 MDX with 38k miles with much of that on coast to coast trips where there tends to be random strikes against the windshield. I've had a number of hits including one that put a chip in the windshield but it never spread into a crack. Others effectively bounced off without causing a noticeable problem. They don't all break routinely although I wouldn't be happy to have to replace it twice within a short time span either.

There are different windshields on the MDX - mine's a Tech. I think the Advance has more sound deadening in the windshield which would mean differently made windshields so this could be a factor. It could also be that some people have a streak of bad luck. If one checks with the windshield replacement places they'll see windshields from all different kinds of vehicles are getting replaced - it's not something unique to the MDX.

Side note - I had Safelite do a 'repair' of the chip but wish I hadn't. They ended up expanding the chip in their effort to repair it and when all was done it was more noticeable and annoying than it was before. Luckily this is on the passenger side rather than the driver side. This chip was a couple of years old at the time the so-called repair was done so I wasn't worried about it expanding into a crack - it had already been in extreme heat, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
interesting.

aside from that. i thought the likes of Gorilla Glass (that's right, the ones that youve heard so much on your mobile phone) were going into the automotive market in order to provide their IP to the windshield for instance. has that not been implemented for other glass companies not Gorilla Glass? or is it cost for the new take or the license to use it, is what's scaring car manufacturers?

I would think transparent aluminum would be available by now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts