Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always get these coupons and have used them in the past. But if you read the fine print it says limit up to 5 quarts. Wtf does that mean? Do they only pour in 5 quarts regardless of whether it's enough or not? I think this is the last time I do an oil change at Acura and will just do them myself like I used to. Who knows what the **** they're doing and if they are even changing the filter or letting all the old oil drain out etc.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
The spec states 5.7 quarts with filter although in my experience (I always do my own changes) the 5 quart jug of Mobile 1 seems to fill it perfectly. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about that disclaimer - I think it's a very general one for all vehicles to cover themselves on an odd circumstance when someone brings in a vehicle type that might require an unusual amount of oil.

Even when they've offered me free oil changes, which I think they did when I first bought the MDX (free 1 or 2), I just skip it and change it myself. It's more convenient for me to change it myself and I know it's done correctly when I do it myself.

·
Registered
406 Posts
WTF does that mean? It means that for $26.95 or whatever their coupon price is that price only includes 5 qts and if your car takes more you will be charged extra. No dealership or independent shop would risk paying for an engine because they refused to fill with the correct amount of oil. Pretty simple and common in the biz.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Even if they charged for an extra 1/2 quart of oil, which is unlikely I think (but I've never used them so I don't really know), it couldn't be that much extra cost. You could always call and check with the dealer on this point first if it concerns you.

Keep in mind that these prices usually don't include full synthetic - they typically charge more for that if that's what you want.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Thats crazy. All Acuras take full synthetic. Why wiuld a deal risk installing snything less?
Not true.The Acura dealer is the only place I've found 0W-20 in a blend rather than full synthetic - in Acura branded containers. Don't make an assumption they'll put in full syn. Also, these coupons tend to be pretty generic and often have an asterisk somewhere that full synthetic is extra.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not true.The Acura dealer is the only place I've found 0W-20 in a blend rather than full synthetic - in Acura branded containers. Don't make an assumption they'll put in full syn. Also, these coupons tend to be pretty generic and often have an asterisk somewhere that full synthetic is extra.
I asked and they said Acura only uses full sun. In fact the asterick on the coupon says if you want Mobil 1, it's extra

·
Registered
406 Posts
I work at an independent shop and we have 0W20 in syn blend. Valvoline is the standard oil, but we carry (and charge extra for) Mobil 1 if someone wants to specify it. The upcharge for additional capacity is $3.50 for conv, $6.00 for syn blend, and $8.50 for full syn per qt and we charge by the 1/10 over 5 qts. Dealerships pretty ,uch follow this same model. Nobody gives away oil because oil changes are typically a loss leader or break even to get people through the door so you can sell them additional parts or service as well as keep the relationship fresh via regular visits.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Acura only uses full sun. In fact the asterick on the coupon says if you want Mobil 1, it's extra
That's contradictory - if they only used full syn then there'd be no need for a disclaimer about an extra cost for full syn.

Really though - the Acura branded oil (don't know who the supplier is) that I saw at the dealership was 0W-20 in a blend - not full syn. It could be that a particular dealership only offers full syn on their oil changes and charges an up-charge for that every time but it's not universal that all dealers do. I don't know for certain but I'd guess the MDX didn't come from the factory with full syn in it either but rather, the blend.

The post by 'Pkrface' above pretty much adds to what I stated.

Regardless, the point is to make sure of what one is buying when they get an oil change - don't assume the dealer will put in full syn unless it's explicitly stated so and don't expect it'll cost the same as their standard coupon or quote rate for an oil change. Also don't assume full syn is required because it's not according to the owner's manual specification for oil.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's contradictory - if they only used full syn then there'd be no need for a disclaimer about an extra cost for full syn.

Really though - the Acura branded oil (don't know who the supplier is) that I saw at the dealership was 0W-20 in a blend - not full syn. It could be that a particular dealership only offers full syn on their oil changes and charges an up-charge for that every time but it's not universal that all dealers do. I don't know for certain but I'd guess the MDX didn't come from the factory with full syn in it either but rather, the blend.

The post by 'Pkrface' above pretty much adds to what I stated.

Regardless, the point is to make sure of what one is buying when they get an oil change - don't assume the dealer will put in full syn unless it's explicitly stated so and don't expect it'll cost the same as their standard coupon or quote rate for an oil change. Also don't assume full syn is required because it's not according to the owner's manual specification for oil.
They said they use Acura Oil 0w-20, which right on the bottle says Full Synthetic. If you want M1 instead of Acura, they charge extra,

·
Registered
217 Posts
Acura oil 020 is not full synthetic it’s a blend where it’s only available at the dealer.
Mine charges extra for fully synthetic if I want to get it done .

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Here's an example of Acura branded syn blend (SB) -

And here's an example of Acura branded full syn (FS) -

Again - the important point is to just make sure you know what you're buying and that if the ad says 'synthetic' rather than 'full synthetic' it's possible you'll end up with a blend - not that there's anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
They said they use Acura Oil 0w-20, which right on the bottle says Full Synthetic. If you want M1 instead of Acura, they charge extra,
Don't ever take people's word at face value and treat it as the truth. Always verify. Lots more bullshit comes from the facial region than the posterior region of humans.

In your case, I'd ask them to present you with a sample bottle because both full syn and syn blends exist.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's an example of Acura branded syn blend (SB) -

And here's an example of Acura branded full syn (FS) -

Again - the important point is to just make sure you know what you're buying and that if the ad says 'synthetic' rather than 'full synthetic' it's possible you'll end up with a blend - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Don't ever take people's word at face value and treat it as the truth. Always verify. Lots more bullshit comes from the facial region than the posterior region of humans.

In your case, I'd ask them to present you with a sample bottle because both full syn and syn blends exist.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
And this is why I'm saying **** it. Thank you very much

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dealers don’t use bottles of oil they usually have bulk oil which they use to change oil which should be close to OEM speck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
6 Participants
neoshi
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing