Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't tow often, maybe twice a year and looking to get an oil cooler, I figured its good to have regardless. I see generic oil cooler for $20-$50 compared to OEM $230. Anyone use an aftermarket cooler or did everyone get the OEM. I don't see how or where I could mount those aftermarket cooler, which is why I plan on going OEM but wanted to double check.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was just going to post the same question. Were about to add the tow pkg (DIY) and the cost of that cooler is outrageous. Please post up some pics or links please.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Transmissions are expensive. I didn't want to potentially jeopardize mine by saving $200 on an aftermarket cooler. My wife's last two cars had transmission problems so I got the 100k warranty on the '15 MDX and the OEM cooler. Cooler was $204+$163 for dealer install.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I wouldn't risk a potential warranty issue due to putting on an aftermarket tranny cooler in an effort to save somewhat less than $200 on this vehicle that one paid tens of thousands of dollars for. It's one thing to put one on a 1998 Dodge truck or something but not on an expensive vehicle still under factory warranty (assuming it is). I think if the tranny fails and they see you have an aftermarket cooler on it, which means someone was messing around with the tranny disconnecting lines, etc. they could justifiably easily deny a warranty claim on the tranny.

You'd probably be better off not using any additional cooler at all unless you plan to tow more than 3500 pounds. At least if something in the tranny fails you wouldn't have the warranty concerns.

Better yet, just install the factory cooler.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
ATF Coolers are not rocket science, In fact he can get better ATF Coolers aftermarket than the OEM Unit.

Acura obviously will try to say anything to avoid a warranty claim but they cannot use a PROPERLY Installed Aftermarket Cooler as an Excuse as it doesn't void the warranty to use one. Only voids it, if it damage the transmission by miss-Installation (Ex: Cooler line leaks ATF or Cooler line was pinched and blocked ATF Flow).

I would get the OEM if you are worried about a possible Warranty Claim just for piece of mind, Once the warranty is over AFTERMARKET ALL THE WAY.

·
Registered
83 Posts
ATF Coolers are not rocket science, In fact he can get better ATF Coolers aftermarket than the OEM Unit.

Acura obviously will try to say anything to avoid a warranty claim but they cannot use a PROPERLY Installed Aftermarket Cooler as an Excuse as it doesn't void the warranty to use one. Only voids it, if it damage the transmission by miss-Installation (Ex: Cooler line leaks ATF or Cooler line was pinched and blocked ATF Flow).

I would get the OEM if you are worried about a possible Warranty Claim just for piece of mind, Once the warranty is over AFTERMARKET ALL THE WAY.
That's what I was thinking, but might be worth it for easy install also. Were getting a Trailmanor 2720 that may be around 3500lbs loaded so i do want to add the trans cooler but maybe not right away. Also the OEM hitch is pretty slick so probably go with the Acura Tow pkg too. Okay guys Thanks

Reactions: Steelermdx

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the feedback. I'm going OEM, also the install mounting seem so much easier with what looks like part hard lines in the diagram. I may tow a friends boat which is close to 5000 lb, but I'm hoping installing the cooler cant hurt, it would only help with lowering the temp if not towing and possibly extending the life of the tranny.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I dunno if I read you right but You should not Tow 5K without the OEM Cooler/External ATF Cooler though... Acura only recommends 3.5K without external cooler.

So before you tow the boat the Cooler must be already installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts