Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are they any good? I saw pretty decent reviews for these on various sites.

Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V)

Thanks
I just installed them on my 2007 X 6 weeks ago. They are a great tire. I have not had a chance to drive them in heavy rain or snow but so far on dry surfaces they are much smoother/quieter than the stock Michelin's I replaced. (Tire Rack $143/tire + $10 shipping) :29:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Great tire, I've had mine on since July and they've seen every condition thus far. These are much better in the snow then the OEM Mich's. Haven't gone through anything too deep, but they've been fine in up to a foot so far, DTC light hardly ever flashes now as well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I purchased the Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V) last week and returned them. The side walls are too soft which affected the steering response. They have a 109 load rating which should be stiffer than the OEM Michelin. These are not designed for SUVs which is probably why they're softer. I took them to the Snow last week and snow traction was slippery on both moving and breaking through snow.

I went with the Yokohama Geolander HT-S instead. Steering response is much better and side walls is equal to slightly stiffer than the OEM Michelin. Rained hard yesterday and these handle well on the wet roads. Haven't evaluated snow traction yet, but reviews were good in Tirerack.com. Going up to the snow this weekend so I'll get to test snow traction.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Envigor comes in both SL and XL load ratings depending on the size and the 255/55/18 is an XL load rated tire, it's fine for an SUV, especially one as light as the MDX. I run mine at 34 PSI cold pressure, they usually go up to 36 PSI once they warm up and I haven't had any issues with them being too soft. The max load pressure (the pressure at which they're rated for their maximum load capacity) on an XL is 42 PSI versus 36 PSI on an SL tire, so you can play around with the pressures all the way up to 42 PSI to stiffen it up.

Tire Tech Information - Load Range/Ply Rating Identification

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and what about the tpms? I just go to any tire shop and ask them to mount the tires or have to go to a dealership for tpms to work after installing new tires?

·
Registered
405 Posts
and what about the tpms? I just go to any tire shop and ask them to mount the tires or have to go to a dealership for tpms to work after installing new tires?
They'll install your stock tpms. The system will automatically detect the tpms once the car moves.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I noticed those also, on tirerack.com , but for my car, not the Mothership.

I agree with an above poster, that they might be car tires and not SUV tires, ideally, tho by specs alone you'd think they would work fine.

I'm eyeing these, instead: General Grabber HTS

...yes, cheaper, maybe too cheap, but surveys and reviews are good, and price is much less than GY/Mich's. Tirerack.com tested them vs Bridgestone and Pirelli on a 2006 Porsche Cayenne. General ranked 1st.

Test Results: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=114

An older tire review thread here: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/2-general-discussions/16676-goodyear-vs-michelin-tires-04-a.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't buy them. All 4 of mine were scalloped in 7 months, real bad uneven wear patterns that didn't make any sense. Dealer tried to get them replaced as a manufacturers defect but yokohama doesn't cover scalloping, they said it was due to over inflation.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Don't buy them. All 4 of mine were scalloped in 7 months, real bad uneven wear patterns that didn't make any sense. Dealer tried to get them replaced as a manufacturers defect but yokohama doesn't cover scalloping, they said it was due to over inflation.
What pressures where you running them at? I've had mine on for 15 months with no issues, usually leave them at 37-38 psi.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yokahama Avid Envigor's 20k in less than 1 year.

I bet the installer screwed something up. I've had mine for almost 1 year, but over 20k on them and they've been flawless. They still look new. I went 90 today on them and had no shimmy or anything. Great tire for me.:D

I rotate and balance every 4-5k miles (lifetime from Tire Kingdom, so it's free) I run around 32psi cold, 35-36psi warm.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Most instances of tire scalloping are caused by suspension problems - leaking shocks, cracked bushings, worn ball joints, stuff like that, anything that allows play that lets the wheel/tire "wobble around" instead of tracking in a perfectly circular, straight line.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The General Grabber HTS tires are amazing. Better traction, handling, and much higher treadwear rating. Also lots cheaper than the OEM Michelins.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The General Grabber HTS tires are amazing. Better traction, handling, and much higher treadwear rating. Also lots cheaper than the OEM Michelins.
Eh, it's a low rolling resistance tire and only B temp rated, I guess if you're looking for fuel efficiency then it'll be ok, but I wouldn't trust it at 120 mph even if it is H rated. I'll stick with the V rated Yoko's for autobahn driving.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The OEM Michelins are only H rated. In addition the MDX top speed is limited to 124.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The OEM Michelins are only H rated. In addition the MDX top speed is limited to 124.
I know, and I'd love to find a way to remove the limiter, there's plenty left when you hit it. OEMs are rated up to 130 and perform ok, but I wouldn't use a low rolling resistance tire that's only B temp rated at those speeds, even if they are H rated. Yoko's definitely feel better at 100+ then the OEMs though, more stable and they track better.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The one advantage to the Generals is that they are light truck tires. So they are designed for heavy vehicles. In my experience, running car tires on heavy SUVs leads to short tread life.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I purchased the Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V) last week and returned them. The side walls are too soft which affected the steering response. They have a 109 load rating which should be stiffer than the OEM Michelin. These are not designed for SUVs which is probably why they're softer. I took them to the Snow last week and snow traction was slippery on both moving and breaking through snow.

I went with the Yokohama Geolander HT-S instead. Steering response is much better and side walls is equal to slightly stiffer than the OEM Michelin. Rained hard yesterday and these handle well on the wet roads. Haven't evaluated snow traction yet, but reviews were good in Tirerack.com. Going up to the snow this weekend so I'll get to test snow traction.
I have Yoko Avid Envigors on my BMW. They are good summer tires but forget about snow traction. They are terrible in snow. They should not be marketed as all season.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have Yoko Avid Envigors on my BMW. They are good summer tires but forget about snow traction. They are terrible in snow. They should not be marketed as all season.
I put them on my X3 and I agree. We had a mild winter last year but prior to it was somewhat white knuckle.

The tires handle great and are quiet. I've noticed on tirerack the have been some complaints about tire life. I've been keeping an I on them - so far ok (20k

1 - 20 of 26 Posts