Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had the MXV4's and they have been great even in the rain. Noise is minimal and grip is predictable. Had them for 2 years now and they are wearing normal, so that's a good sign so far.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Guys, I am replacing my tires. I currently have some cheap "Radar" brand the dealership put on when I purchased the vehicle. I have tried gamet of tires and in my own personal experience, Michelins are best and I've had the least trouble with them. My generic tires had plenty of tread but now is leaking air on one tire. Aso my car shakes at high speeds. I've tried balancing, rotating, alignment, etc...even the dealership was stumped because it had plenty of tread. They started asking me "well, did you run over"...I stopped them right there. No my rims are not bent. I knew all along the problem was cheap tires so finally I am replacing all 4 tires.

I called costco, guy said I can put on either the Michelin primacy mxv4 or Michelin latitude(oem). I think they were 168ea for primacy and 177 for latitude. Costco Out the door price of 668(primacy) or 715(latitude). This includes the 70 instant credit from michelin. Costco guy recommended the latitude over primacy because he said that primacy are made for sedans where latitude is made for suv's.

Seems like a good deal to me. Any comments regarding latitude over the primacy?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had Michelin Primacy mxv4s on for about 10,000 miles now and like them very much. They are quiet, ride smooth, handle ok and are wearing well. Most of my travel is highway with light load.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have had Michelin Primacy mxv4s on for about 10,000 miles now and like them very much. They are quiet, ride smooth, handle ok and are wearing well. Most of my travel is highway with light load.
I ended up getting the latitude. I just didn't like the fact that on the specs it said for passenger vehicles. So far I like them very much. Just like you mentioned. But I am coming from generic tires so for what it's worth. Costco 735 out the door w nitrogen.

As soon as I put these tires on the steering wheel shakes and alignment issues fixed itself. Can't believe how quiet these are. Now I can really hear the torque converter whistle!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put the Michelin Primacy MXV4 on my 2002 just a week ago. Much smoother riding than the old Goodyear tires. Quieter as well. Tried them today in the snow (only a couple of inches) and the traction was good. Happy with them. $152.00 each with $15.00 mount and balance at Tire Rack

Keith

·
Registered
9 Posts
How are the Michelin Latitude Tour's doing after a few miles?

My 03 is about finished with it's second set of Cross Terrains. The OEM set lasted 60K and the current set is at 45Kish. I am not down to the bars but the LF has a larger than safe crack in the tread and needs to be replaced. The tires are at 4/32's right now. These tires were great for the highway and occasional snow and ice and I am bummed that I cannot get them anymore. I noticed some wandering at speed on a recent trip down I95 and discovered the crack. Discount will warranty the one under roadhazard but not the other three. I will get a slight discount for the mileage pro-rate.

Discount is recommending the Latitude Tour or the Primacy. I am leaning towards the Tour since it is an SUV(ish) tire. I really prefer Michelins as I have had good luck with them over the years.

Anyone here to help me make my decision easier? LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
How are the Michelin Latitude Tour's doing after a few miles?

My 03 is about finished with it's second set of Cross Terrains. The OEM set lasted 60K and the current set is at 45Kish. I am not down to the bars but the LF has a larger than safe crack in the tread and needs to be replaced. The tires are at 4/32's right now. These tires were great for the highway and occasional snow and ice and I am bummed that I cannot get them anymore. I noticed some wandering at speed on a recent trip down I95 and discovered the crack. Discount will warranty the one under roadhazard but not the other three. I will get a slight discount for the mileage pro-rate.

Discount is recommending the Latitude Tour or the Primacy. I am leaning towards the Tour since it is an SUV(ish) tire. I really prefer Michelins as I have had good luck with them over the years.

Anyone here to help me make my decision easier? LOL
I was in the same boat and I went with latitude. It does seem a bit more noisy than normal michelins but its been good so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Argh. They sold me the Latitude Tour but I noticed that they installed the HP version. It does not match the paperwork and the mileage warranty is less. Granted the HP is more expensive but it seems the reviews favor the regular tour and not the HP.

·
Registered
487 Posts
A few comments on the Primacy MXV4's. I ran a set on my '07 Ford Freestyle AWD for about 40k miles. Probably the smoothest tire I've ever run - handled wet and dry extremely well. I never really gave them a chance in the winter, since I ran dedicated snow tires on the vehicle. But I did run through a couple of early spring storms a couple years ago and they did okay, although in deeper snow I'm not sure they'd be up to par.

The Latitude tread design, while a bit more aggressive than the MXV4's, isn't necessarily something I'd want to run all winter up here. They're similar to the tread pattern on the Bridgestone's that came on the MDX I'm running now. The did decent during the couple storms we had this winter, but after wearing a bit I'm not sure I'd go with them through another season.

My options are twofold. I either run a more agressive all-season tire - like the Nokian WR G2 SUV - or pick up a set of winter rims and run a set of Nokian Hakka R's, and then keep running the bridgestones during the other 3 seasons. Will have to decide that before winter...

andy

·
Registered
326 Posts
I was also shopping for tires 2 weeks ago and narrowed it down to Latitude Tour (NOT HP) and Primacy MXV4. I picked Latitude Tour because I like the more aggressive thread as compared to Primacy which is really for passenger car or van.

IMO, the Latitude Tour is very quiet & comfortable compared to the Cross terrain. Both have the same 65k wear warranty. I used to pay $195 for the CT 3 years ago and the Latitude is only $159 nowadays minus the $70 instant rebates from Costco.

If you like Primacy tires, the site below has it for $145 while Costco sells for $175. For some reason, this site has the lowest prices for the primacy but not the other type.

https://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehicle/tires/michelin/asc/all_sizes/all_tires/all_speeds/page_1.html

·
Registered
89 Posts
Putting a set of Primacy MXV4s on my 05 tomorrow. Goodby Cross Terrains.

Most of my driving is highway so looking forward to a significant difference.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Putting a set of Primacy MXV4s on my 05 tomorrow. Goodby Cross Terrains.

Most of my driving is highway so looking forward to a significant difference.
These tires ride really smooth. What pressure are you guys running. I think at 32 psi the X will tear these babies up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Serious question.

Acura puts on certain tires, and certainly not the least expensive, as part of their design aspects of ride/handling, etc.

Yes, they buy them cheaper than we do, in bulk, but they still use more expensive tires, for a reason, that we might never know.

The question: Why mess with it?

<<<---- Always buys OEM spec tires.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Serious question.

Acura puts on certain tires, and certainly not the least expensive, as part of their design aspects of ride/handling, etc.

Yes, they buy them cheaper than we do, in bulk, but they still use more expensive tires, for a reason, that we might never know.

The question: Why mess with it?

<<<---- Always buys OEM spec tires.
OEM spec tires are often chosen to optimize mpg to help meet CAFE requirements (low rolling resistance). If your needs are different (better handling/traction/etc) a non-OEM tire is often better. A good example is the GY Integrity that was OEM on Honda Pilots for many years. Owners replaced them asap because they were downright dangerous in any wet/snow conditions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What about balancing?

I read somewhere on site that dealer should be used because of the alloy wheels and special balancing weights? I am getting ready to replace OEM tires--and thought I would use dealer (they are good guys). I am sure I could get replacements cheaper--but have been leary? any comments??

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
OEM tires are selected for a lot of reasons. They generally provide a blend of factors such as treadlife, dry traction, wet traction, winter traction, ride comfort, low noise, cost-effectiveness, etc. If you like them, fine; if you feel that your priorities among these factors differ from the car manufacturer's, there are many other tires from which to choose that may meet your priorities better.

I read somewhere on site that dealer should be used because of the alloy wheels and special balancing weights? I am getting ready to replace OEM tires--and thought I would use dealer (they are good guys). I am sure I could get replacements cheaper--but have been leary? any comments??
There's no need to buy tires from the Acura dealer or to get them installed (mounted and balanced) there; you can do that anywhere. Any competent mechanic or tire shop should be able to mount and balance tires, even with modern features like TPMS sensors. In general, an Acura dealer tends to be a more expensive option for tire purchases. OTOH I've found that some shops are not that careful when mounting and balancing tires, and can damage wheels, so it's a good idea to ask around for recommendations of places that are especially careful when mounting tires. FWIW, I've found that Walmart is surprisingly knowledgeable and careful about mounting tires, including tires not purchased there, and of course their mounting/balancing prices are reasonable.

I recommend shopping around for prices, no matter where you want to buy them; even if you don't buy them from the cheapest place, other places may be willing to meet their price. When comparing prices, remember to compare the total including all charges, including the tire itself, sales tax (which, depending on where you live, you usually pay at any in-person store, but not on internet purchases), shipping (which you don't usually pay at any in-person store, but you do on most internet purchases although not Discount Tire Direct which has free shipping), and mounting/balancing/installing (which is often included in the price at an in-person store, otherwise you'll generally pay $10-25 per tire).

I've found that whenever I've compared prices including internet places and in-person places, about 80 percent of the time the cheapest total is by buying over the internet from Discount Tire Direct, and about 15 percent of the time the cheapest total is by buying over the internet from the Tire Rack. I then get them mounted locally (e.g. Walmart). If you want to limit yourself to buying your tires at an in-person shop, Costco is often the cheapest, although still usually a bit more money than those internet places; however, Costco only sells tires from Michelin, Bridgestone, and BFGoodrich.

Good luck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah and you are paying $125 per hour to install tires?? It's like ordering Coke at Ruth Chris's steak house!

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Yeah and you are paying $125 per hour to install tires??
Not necessarily. Dealers may include mounting and balancing in their price. Or, they may not. And most shops who charge for mounting and balancing tires do so for a flat fee (which is sometimes more than it would be if they were charging by the hour).

Again, when comparing prices, look at the bottom line total, including charges for mounting and balancing, sales tax, and shipping. (You'll probably find that the dealer is a more expensive option, agreed, but do the math.)

21 - 40 of 62 Posts