Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little surprised to find the gas cap untethered.... Has anyone come up with a creative and clean solution? (E.g. some other Honda/Acura product with tethered gas cap I can apply to the MDX)

Richard

·
Registered
671 Posts
I never thought about that - I've never had a tethered cap that I liked, always seemed to get in the way or dangle and scratch the car...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AcuraMDX2002 said:
I never thought about that - I've never had a tethered cap that I liked, always seemed to get in the way or dangle and scratch the car...
Hmmm, see '01+ Audi's (at least A6's) for a nice example - rubbery tether on ring around gas cap tied to filler door hinge, notches on cap to hang on filler door.

Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Why?!?!

Personally, I despise tethers... awkward, always need to fiddle, gets crap on the paint if you let it hang when wet...

never could understand why they are needed.. in my book a "solution" is only needed when there is a "problem"

:)

A

PS Perhaps some chrome chain? For a more agressive 'biker look'

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Experienced this yesterday while filling up.

Gas cap fell, rolled under the MDX, right in the middle.:eek: :eek:

:3: :3:

Going to hold it next time, and not use the thingie on the lid.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Gas Cap Fling

ByeByeChrysler said:
Experienced this yesterday while filling up.

Gas cap fell, rolled under the MDX, right in the middle.:eek: :eek:

:3: :3:

Going to hold it next time, and not use the thingie on the lid.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I've actually had that happen twice. When the pump shuts off, the jolt can fling the cap out of the holder!:eek: In both cases I hadn't inserted the cap into the holder all the way (only one thread). The "gas cap fling" teaches you pretty fast to either put it all the way in the holder or keep it in your hand!

·
Registered
122 Posts
After crawling under my X for my gas cap for the ##XX*!! time I am going to figure out some way to tether it. Mine tends to pop out of the holder when closing a door or occasionally when the auto fuel shut-off activiates on the pump. I also seem to be especially clumsy with it when I'm wearing winter gloves. By the way my cap is specially programmed to come to rest in the biggest pile of slush under the car (usually, beyond arms reach).

Anyway, I'm thinking that a short length of "beaded" chain (#6 or #8) in plastic would do it or that plastic coil (looks like a phone cord) stuff they use to connect PWC & snowmobile kill switches to the rider.
I am wondering if an autoparts store may already have a universal tether kit.
I let you know what I find.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
DaleB said:
. . .
A drip pad would be nice though.
Griots Garage has a nice Fuel Guard for $12.95

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
DaleB said:
I just automatically slip it in the cap holder. Had similar problems with tethers,
A drip pad would be nice though.
I always grab a paper towel while it is filling and place it on the nozzle during removal. I was taught that gas on paint=bad. People probably watch me but who cares. Every little bit I can do to keep my baby looking brand new I do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts