Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer wants $900 for the headlight assembly, that is just he part, no HID components or anything. Salvage yard has one locally but wants $400. Crazy. I bought a used headlight on ebay but it appears it has a bad seal and leaks water. I'm returning that but for a little more I can get a DEPO or TYC brand aftermarket (brand new) for around $280.

I'm concerned about the lens for the HID. I dont know anything about HID so not sure if quality of OEM matters vs aftermarket.

Anyone have any experience with after market assembly's?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dealer wants $900 for the headlight assembly, that is just he part, no HID components or anything. Salvage yard has one locally but wants $400. Crazy. I bought a used headlight on ebay but it appears it has a bad seal and leaks water. I'm returning that but for a little more I can get a DEPO or TYC brand aftermarket (brand new) for around $280.

I'm concerned about the lens for the HID. I dont know anything about HID so not sure if quality of OEM matters vs aftermarket.

Anyone have any experience with after market assembly's?
I am pretty sure chinese version will have cheap projectors. If not new at that crazy price I would recommend keep looming at good used at ebay from $200-$400. These are not cheap headlights for sure.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Depo is better than TYC but still substandard than OEM. As noted, the projector is cheap and the lense is thinner and will scratch more easily. If you ever get rock chip on the highway, you can kiss your lense good-bye with the aftermarket version. Also the mounting tabs and plastic housing is inferior plastic which is brittle and can crack really easily, especially the mounting points.

Better to find a good seller on eBay selling OEM unit and transfer over your existing HID parts if they are still working.

Remember to match up your headlights as '07-'09 have lighter gray headlight bezels which are different than the '10-'14 models.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You should try repairing the one you bought used. The most basic repair is to get it to evaporate by taking all the bulbs out and keeping it in the sun or in some heat and see if there is any dirt inside once it is dry. If it is clean/presentable, you can google some instructions on how to reseal it with silicon. You can easily polish the lens and spray some clearcoat (UV protection) on it and be on your way. Not worth the investment on an old car if you ask me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts