Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the following is in the owners manual (on my 2014 MDX):

Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy.

Has anyone actually done this? Did you have the dealer do it? I have to admit it seems a little weird on a modern car.... With the regular slight dieseling sound from the DI engine, did you notice a specific valve sound that prompted you to have the dealer adjust them?

Again- just seems weird to me.

thanks

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That is only "if noisy".

Under normal conditions, wait until the "4" service and adjust them regardless of noise. (approximately 105k miles)

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Pretty stupid from Honda to "Adjust when Noisy" if anything the exhaust valves will get tighter (Quieter) with time long before the intake valve gap is so wide they will make any extra noise... Even then since the 3G has the very NOISY Direct Injection who the hell will tell it apart from valve train noise?

Direct Injection noise is pretty bad.. It would drive me insane not to be able to reduce that noise.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Valves adjusted at 150k, now 250k. Should I have the valves adjusted again?
It is due, based on mileage. If you plan to keep the car for a while longer, then I would do the valve adjustment.

Of course, if you don't plan on keeping the vehicle much longer, then you may want to save the money.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You have that many miles on a 3G MDX. How do you have time to post on this forum?
:grin:

We certainly plan to keep the MDX. Over the last year we were thinking to buy a new one / new car, but then decided to take the challenge and fix it up.

Suspension and brakes are all done and boy does it ride nice! Next...Tires, Power Steering pump (3rd time), transmission flush, rear and front main seals, timing belt and other bits, small tune up.

Then some paint and seat restoration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.