Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I always purchase Michelin tires for all my vehicles. I have tried other brands and always seem to have the best luck with Michelin

The 2016 CPO MDX I bought last weekend had it's tires replaced prior to being turned in at the end of the lease. The lessee replaced the tires with Federal Couragia FX tires. I never heard of these before and cannot find any reviews on them. I did find that they are carried by Walmart and seem to be the on the cheaper end of all the different 245/55/19 tires that they sell.

Has anyone used Federal Tires before?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I'd never heard of the brand so I looked it up. It's a Taiwanese tire manufacturer. These tires are substantially less expensive than any of the top brands (Michelin, Goodyear, Continental, etc.). It's not a tire I'd even consider for a vehicle like an MDX where one of the reasons to buy an MDX s for performance , handling, comfort, which would drive me toward the top brands even if they cost somewhat more than the lower priced tires. It does, however, look like the kind of tire one would put on a vehicle they're just trading in or just trying to sell when the old tires are worn - i.e. cheap tires.

But...I've never actually used that brand tire before. Statistically, especially with higher end vehicles like Acura, most people probably haven't used them since that doesn't appear to be their niche as much as the low cost is.

It seems a little odd that a 2016 would've needed to have its tires replaced already. I'm still on the originals on my 2014 MDX (41K miles). Does the 2016 have a lot of miles on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2016 had 41.5K miles when I purchased it. As part of the certification process, a four wheel alignment was performed.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I wouldn’t have taken deliver of the MDX with Federal Tires...you should have laughed in the dealers face...a CPO no less with crap tires...

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Lol man i must drive hard. My fronts are goners at 15k miles.
That's the worst tire mileage I've seen posted here. I drive plenty aggressively and haven't had any issues - although I do have a couple of coast to coast trips in that mileage which should have been fairly easy on tires except maybe on the mountain roads.

You mentioned 'fronts' - don't you rotate your tires? Mine are all evenly worn but I rotate them when I do oil changes (roughly 8K miles). I also pay fairly decent attention to the tire pressure and try to keep it at factory spec of 35psi rather than over or under inflating. I do this myself so I know for certain they were rotated (and the oil changed) - I'm not very trusting of shops doing everything appropriately.

I wonder if you have an alignment or suspension issue. Note that I've never had mine aligned either since it doesn't exhibit any alignment issues and I'd rather keep their hands off of it if it's working okay plus contrary to some people, I don't think a vehicle should need to be aligned frequently - only when suspension components are replaced or there was a very severe whack to the wheels.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yeah i got lazy last oci and didn't do the rotation at 7k lol. Psi is always above 35. Worn at the outsides so i know it's turning that does it. I've never really gone past 25k with original sets so i figured meh. But I'll rotate them one of these weekends to even out out lol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.