Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We currently have a 2005 Lexus RX 330 with 325K miles (not a typo). We need a new vehicle but because of the reliability we're finding that even a 2010 with 100K miles is $15000K. So we started looking at the MDX because we used to own 2 honda's and one Acura Legend GS(kick myself everyday for selling that car). I always start my search with consumer reports and only the 2013 model is listed with the highest reliability rating. So for that reason we've narrowed our search to that year. I personally think the interior of the MDX is vastly better than the Lexus, but wanted to see if there were any users with real world experience.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I have an 11 MDX Adv+rear Ent with +147,000 miles. Great vehicle and it still runs strong today as the day I purchased used in 2014 with 30,000 miles. The really big issues with the 2013 (and 2010-2012 also) are:

- oil consumption issue: can be as bad as 1 qt per 1000 miles. Acura had an extended warranty to fix and I don't know if it is still active. My 11 MDX didn't qualify because it was around 1 1/2 qts per 9500 mile oil change interval. The MDX needed to be at the 1qt per 1000miles to get the fix.

- Adv models with magnetic Active Damper System (ADS) the shock/struts can fail at anytime, no direct aftermarket replacement, and it can cost $600-$900 per corner to replace depending on DYI, local shop, or dealership.

- requires +91 octane: some folks do put in reg gas and haven't had any issues. The MDX mpgs can get pretty bad in city driving at 14-16 mpg range. It can make up for it on the hwy at 20-22 mpgs at 70-75 mph. No fun putting in +$70 of 91 octane at 14-15 mpg.

- 105,000 mile timing belt service. Many folks skip, delay, or trade-in the MDX because this service can cost $1500-$2200 depending on what needs to be done (timing belt, serpentine belt kit, water pump, coolant, spark plugs, valve adjustment, oil change). It is just fluid/filter changes and tire rotations/balances until the timing belt is due again at 210,000 miles. Getting a MDX with the timing belt service will save you $$ down the road.

My 11 MDX is great vehicle and tough as nails with way less issues compared to my 06 TSX or 08 RDX with similar mileage. Unfortunately, as much as I love my 11 MDX, I really don't recommend it over the 07-09 MDX tech or +14 MDX tech or Adv models.

I would really see I can find a sh-awd +14 MDX tech or Adv model. No where near the issues as the 07-13 2nd Gen MDXs, outstanding LED headlights, SUV room that drives like large sedan, you can use 87-93 gas, and mpgs will be in the upper 20s on the hwy and +20 combined.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an 11 MDX Adv+rear Ent with +147,000 miles. Great vehicle and it still runs strong today as the day I purchased used in 2014 with 30,000 miles. The really big issues with the 2013 (and 2010-2012 also) are:

- oil consumption issue: can be as bad as 1 qt per 1000 miles. Acura had an extended warranty to fix and I don't know if it is still active. My 11 MDX didn't qualify because it was around 1 1/2 qts per 9500 mile oil change interval. The MDX needed to be at the 1qt per 1000miles to get the fix.

- Adv models with magnetic Active Damper System (ADS) the shock/struts can fail at anytime, no direct aftermarket replacement, and it can cost $600-$900 per corner to replace depending on DYI, local shop, or dealership.

- requires +91 octane: some folks do put in reg gas and haven't had any issues. The MDX mpgs can get pretty bad in city driving at 14-16 mpg range. It can make up for it on the hwy at 20-22 mpgs at 70-75 mph. No fun putting in +$70 of 91 octane at 14-15 mpg.

- 105,000 mile timing belt service. Many folks skip, delay, or trade-in the MDX because this service can cost $1500-$2200 depending on what needs to be done (timing belt, serpentine belt kit, water pump, coolant, spark plugs, valve adjustment, oil change). It is just fluid/filter changes and tire rotations/balances until the timing belt is due again at 210,000 miles. Getting a MDX with the timing belt service will save you $$ down the road.

My 11 MDX is great vehicle and tough as nails with way less issues compared to my 06 TSX or 08 RDX with similar mileage. Unfortunately, as much as I love my 11 MDX, I really don't recommend it over the 07-09 tech or +14 MDX tech or Adv models.

I would really see I can find a sh-awd 14 MDX tech or Adv model. No where near the issues as the 07-13 2nd Gen MDXs, outstanding LED headlights, SUV room that drives like large sedan, you can use 87-93 gas, and mpgs will be in the upper 20s on the hwy and +20 combined.
Thanks! I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
2010 MDX Tech+Ent
135 Posts

My 11 MDX is great vehicle and tough as nails with way less issues compared to my 06 TSX or 08 RDX with similar mileage. Unfortunately, as much as I love my 11 MDX, I really don't recommend it over the 07-09 tech or +14 MDX tech or Adv models.

I would really see I can find a sh-awd 14 MDX tech or Adv model. No where near the issues as the 07-13 2nd Gen MDXs, outstanding LED headlights, SUV room that drives like large sedan, you can use 87-93 gas, and mpgs will be in the upper 20s on the hwy and +20 combined.
Ugh, I haven’t been able to get better than 10-13mpg city on our 2010. I tried going less than 91 octane and it only made the mileage worse with a small but noticeable loss in engine power, along with knocking/pinging under load.

Before we bought our 2010 Tech, I had consulted with an indie Honda mechanic about the top spec and he told me to stay away from it because of the electronic struts, so we went with the Tech model. Knowing what we know now about the struts, I am forever grateful to him for that advice…

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
as soon as you pass 75MPH in the MDX MPG plummets. I've found 70 MPH to get me close to 24MPG on my 2007.

Beware that the 2010-2013 can consume oil. Acura fixed a bunch of engines with updated parts so be on the lookout for one of those!

If you hear a whistle while driving at speeds above 45MPH, the driveshaft going from front to rear of car needs to be replaced. It's about 2K for it as the bearing is non-replaceable.

SH-AWD is awesome to have! Don't let the elite/advance model struts scare you. You can always buy aftermarket or factory "base/tech" shocks/struts and get the installed. I did that in my 2007. Elite/Advance models come with blind spot monitoring, active cruise control and cooled seats!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have had five MDXs and shopped the RX before I got my 2011 and 2017. I have not had any significant issues with any of them.
First, now is not a good time to buy a vehicle, but sometimes you don't have options.
My suggestion would be to try for a 2015 if your budget allows. It is the second year of the third generation and last year for the 6 speed transmission. A Tech or Advance would have more features and the price difference will not be as much as when new. Also get the SH-AWD.

Whatever you decide, just do your due diligence and review service records (now Carfax includes many service records, particularly if car was serviced at dealer or national chain). Note comments re timing belt/water pump/belts above. If no documentation of recent service, I would change all fluids as a precaution.
Good luck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've been watching this with interest, as the RX350 was on my short list when I purchased my MDX. I never looked closely at one, as when I began shopping I almost immediately found my 2008 MDX Base as a one owner car with only 56,000 miles. Once I located it I stopped looking at others and just purchased it. That was three years ago. She's now at 119,000 and has been mostly trouble free. I've had to throw some money at it but aside from scheduled maintenance [the biggest being timing belt water pump service which was done at a local Honda Acura independent shop and only set me back $1,000], we've done an alternator, power steering pump, battery and tires. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
We have both Lexus and Acura in the household and IMO, the Lexus build quality and Acura build quality are almost equal, where things get lopsided is with some practical things. Granted, I am comparing a flagship LS430 which was almost $70K when new to a mid-level SUV, but some things on the MDX are infuriating.

We bought our first MDX in 2001. Great vehicle. At the time, the navigation was the best, not only in class but overall no matter what you bought. Stereo was garbage. The few little niggling things were the black hole next to the seat/console area where anything that fit was lost forever, the aforementioned terrible stereo, and the A/C hose that would clog. Not too bad. So 2015 rolls around and the ol' MDX is feeling its age, so we find a sweet 2012 just off lease with, are you ready? only 3000 miles on it. The lessor hardly used it and unfortunately passed away before the lease was up, and it turned out it was cheaper to just wait out the lease... blah blah...

So I buy the 2012 and immediately drop my keys into the STILL EXISTANT BLACK HOLE.... Lexus put a little pad there. Stereo sounds way better... But they decided to go with DVDA... DVDA... do you know what that is? Of course not. The technology was dead before it hit the shelves. Sigh... and guess what I did this morning? UNCLOG THE AC HOSE!!!! Yep. But don't worry, the 2012 gets way less gas mileage than the 2001 did. At 80 mph it chugs gas faster than a frat boy with a funnel.

Meanwhile my 15 year old LS is still good as new, gets almost double the highway mileage despite having two more cylinders (because of maybe) and I've never had to unclog the AC tube. City mileage is about the same with both. Oh and the stereo sounds way better and I mean even with the cassette. But again, it's a different animal, easily twice the price of an MDX, made in Japan, unlike the RX which is made in North America (Canada maybe?) so it's not a fair comparison.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have both Lexus and Acura in the household and IMO, the Lexus build quality and Acura build quality are almost equal, where things get lopsided is with some practical things. Granted, I am comparing a flagship LS430 which was almost $70K when new to a mid-level SUV, but some things on the MDX are infuriating.

We bought our first MDX in 2001. Great vehicle. At the time, the navigation was the best, not only in class but overall no matter what you bought. Stereo was garbage. The few little niggling things were the black hole next to the seat/console area where anything that fit was lost forever, the aforementioned terrible stereo, and the A/C hose that would clog. Not too bad. So 2015 rolls around and the ol' MDX is feeling its age, so we find a sweet 2012 just off lease with, are you ready? only 3000 miles on it. The lessor hardly used it and unfortunately passed away before the lease was up, and it turned out it was cheaper to just wait out the lease... blah blah...

So I buy the 2012 and immediately drop my keys into the STILL EXISTANT BLACK HOLE.... Lexus put a little pad there. Stereo sounds way better... But they decided to go with DVDA... DVDA... do you know what that is? Of course not. The technology was dead before it hit the shelves. Sigh... and guess what I did this morning? UNCLOG THE AC HOSE!!!! Yep. But don't worry, the 2012 gets way less gas mileage than the 2001 did. At 80 mph it chugs gas faster than a frat boy with a funnel.

Meanwhile my 15 year old LS is still good as new, gets almost double the highway mileage despite having two more cylinders (because of maybe) and I've never had to unclog the AC tube. City mileage is about the same with both. Oh and the stereo sounds way better and I mean even with the cassette. But again, it's a different animal, easily twice the price of an MDX, made in Japan, unlike the RX which is made in North America (Canada maybe?) so it's not a fair comparison.
Yeah, my suspicion is the Lexus is generally a more reliable car with few overall issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts