Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am getting alot of static noise with normal radio and satellite radio but only when car is cold from a temperature standpoint...especially if car has been sitting outside for awhile...happens if its been sitting in garage for awhile if its cold outside.

But once the car has been running for 10 minutes or so, the radio fixes itself and sound is normal.

My guess, loose wire or connection on the amplifier???

Anyone else run into this?..if so, what was the cause and ultimate fix?...tia.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I get exactly the same thing in my 07 Sport, but goes away in a minute or two and only happens when close to zero degrees or below. Definitely the result of contraction due to cold in the cabin.

Easy to live with unless you're in a really cold climate. Not worth the hassle of dealing with proof to stealer, a week in the shop for warrantly replacement, risk of rattles and poor workmanship as they tear apart my dash, etc.. My personal time is too valuable for that rare nuisance of some brief static. Been exactly the same for 3 years now and has not gotten even a tiny bit worse.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get exactly the same thing in my 07 Sport, but goes away in a minute or two and only happens when close to zero degrees or below. Definitely the result of contraction due to cold in the cabin.

Easy to live with unless you're in a really cold climate. Not worth the hassle of dealing with proof to stealer, a week in the shop for warrantly replacement, risk of rattles and poor workmanship as they tear apart my dash, etc.. My personal time is too valuable for that rare nuisance of some brief static. Been exactly the same for 3 years now and has not gotten even a tiny bit worse.

hmmm...I have an 07 Sport also...I no longer have warranty and dealer has car now but cant figure out what the prob is.

·
Registered
499 Posts
07 sport here, same issue. I seem to recall a TSB about the audio "popping" when the key was turned off. The solution was to replace the amp. It was an early '07 MY VIN spread, so I wonder if it's related? No dealers near me, but curious what the solution is. By the way, HFL is also effected and the static seems to come from the front passenger door speaker, as far as I can tell anyway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
07 sport here, same issue. I seem to recall a TSB about the audio "popping" when the key was turned off. The solution was to replace the amp. It was an early '07 MY VIN spread, so I wonder if it's related? No dealers near me, but curious what the solution is. By the way, HFL is also effected and the static seems to come from the front passenger door speaker, as far as I can tell anyway.

what is HFL???...static from my car comes from all the speakers I believe...strange thing is it ALWAYS corrects itself after driving around for 10-15 minutes...so more annoying than anything else.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update: dont know how exactly but they seemed to have ruled out the amp as a source...there was a "popping" sound TSB where the amp was culprit but this is different...its loud static continuosly...they are thinking its the audio unit itself which makes me really happy since they cost 2K to replace.:mad:

·
Registered
113 Posts
am getting alot of static noise with normal radio and satellite radio but only when car is cold from a temperature standpoint...especially if car has been sitting outside for awhile...happens if its been sitting in garage for awhile if its cold outside.

But once the car has been running for 10 minutes or so, the radio fixes itself and sound is normal.

Bumping an old thread. Were you able to fix the issue?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yeah it would be nice if there was an easy solution. I believe this was common on all the earlier model radios. With temps being between -8 to single digits around here lately, the radio is pretty much useless on anything but long trips.

·
Registered
962 Posts
1. Sometimes using the rear window defogger will cause noise. Can be confirmed by not using the defogger.

2. Sometimes the high rate of alternator output after a cold start will cause noise. Can be confirmed by unplugging the alternator.

·
Registered
798 Posts
1. Sometimes using the rear window defogger will cause noise. Can be confirmed by not using the defogger.

2. Sometimes the high rate of alternator output after a cold start will cause noise. Can be confirmed by unplugging the alternator.
Those aren't it in this case. It is a design flaw in the radio itself. If the radio wasn't such a PITA to remove, I would've opened it up and checked the solder joints for cold solder cracks as all the new bio-friendly solder joints don't do or last that long. Just look at some of the issues with Apple iPhones.

Which makes me think the same manufacturer responsible for the HFL modules might be the same for our radios. LOL. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts

Must be a radio thing, I had a 07 TL type S that suffered from the same thing. My 07 X which I have purchased in the last 2 yrs does it also. I would assume there is no fix for this outside of a new system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear Defrost is my cause

My radio bad reception when the rear defrost is on, this will be an issue this winter and wondering if anyone has found a fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Radio Static

Yeah ours too (2007) when it's maybe under 20 degrees, wth? Once the interior (or radio) warms up a bit, back to normal. Our car was a FL car so I was thinking it just didn't like cold MO winters?!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine does it every winter. I live in the Dallas TX area and when it dips below 45 degrees, I get radio static until it warms up. If an amp replacement is all that is needed, then I may do that.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have similar audio problem, I have noticed that when it very cold (below 40 ) and the car was sitting overnight, the iPod controls in the car dont work untill the car warms up. It weird because same controls work for FM, its just for iPod that it behaves like this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm seeing the same problem in my 2007 Tech/Ent. It's been going on for several years now, and its only getting worse. Used to happen only in winter. Now, it's only no-static when the car is not already really warm, like when is it's in the mid 80s or higher, or when they car had not been sitting in full sun for a long time. IOW, the interior pretty much has to be hot enough to use the A/C for me not to get the static.

Dealer just shrugs his shoulders and says I need a new radio. I would nor mind doing the replacement myself if i could find anything reasonably priced, but, of course, there are no aftermarket units, the dealer want to rape me for a new one, and I'm wary of pulling something from a salvage yard.

Not sure if I'm asking for help here or just bitching. I love everything about this car otherwise. Its really frustrating.

am getting alot of static noise with normal radio and satellite radio but only when car is cold from a temperature standpoint...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, I have 07 that does the same thing. I was told in another thread that its the amplifier that is connected to the sub-woofer. They say if you replace the amp, that problem goes away. I have not tried this yet!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
bad amplifier, Phantom Audio rebuilds and refreshes the amps!

Reactions: bfhowell
1 - 20 of 20 Posts