Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

· Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
490 Posts
2023 Acura MDX Technology Package starts at $54,250 not $58,145.
Acura website says $56,450 MSRP for 2023 tech

Seems silly to include destination in the discussion they are the same price.

In what world does a EX-L (base model effectively) compare to an MDX?

If you guys want to circle jerk to saving money I'm sure the Honda forum would love it.

· Registered
489 Posts
Sorry I was referring to the FWD. Does the 2023 Pilot EX-L ($43,245) comes with AWD or FWD?

I agree.
Seems silly to include destination in the discussion they are the same price.

In what world does a EX-L (base model effectively) compare to an MDX?

If you guys want to circle jerk to saving money I'm sure the Honda forum would love it.
C'mon man.... Ahh yes no doubt some recent purchasers of an MDX will need plenty of reassurance that their choice is head and shoulders above anything else, I get it. Hopefully others of us who are still shopping and seriously considering both options could have a rational discussion about comparing them and people won't get butthurt.

The only point of earlier price quotes is you need to try to quote apples to apples. The earlier quotes were comparing a Tech AWD. I think most people will be buying AWD in either the Pilot or the MDX, so let's not play the "starts at only $XYZ" game (for base model front wheel drive, which is basically a unicorn that nobody can even buy anyway since Acura isn't making them). And agree on the Destination...but you need to either include it or exclude it on both sides of the comparison. The Pilot prices someone posted INCLUDED destination so it's not fair to then quote the MDX prices without it.

And to the other poster re: EXL vs "an MDX" - I think that is what those of us who are comparing are trying to ascertain. MDX and Pilot have "the same" engine. Similar interior size. So then you need to start looking at the various options you get in different trims and try to compare a bit. Some people are happy getting Leather, Heated Seats, etc and even the EXL Pilot will have all those options. So then we need to figure out what EXTRA stuff you get in an MDX and make a determination vs price. This of course puts aside exterior looks and of course some people will just decide that the MDX looks way better than the Pilot, and so there isn't even an option to buy the Pilot, while others will think the Pilot also looks good and they like either one visually enough to then compare beyond that.

· Registered
1,748 Posts
This is really a silly conversation....having owned both cars, I can tell you that there is no comparison. The Pilot is a fine car in all respects and may well suit the needs of lots of folks. From a practical standpoint, it met all of my needs quite well.....however, it just was not as enjoyable to drive as my MDX. For me, the extra few shekels was well worth it. A year after buying the new MDX, the novelty has not worn off....

· Registered
489 Posts
This is really a silly conversation....having owned both cars, I can tell you that there is no comparison. The Pilot is a fine car in all respects and may well suit the needs of lots of folks. From a practical standpoint, it met all of my needs quite well.....however, it just was not as enjoyable to drive as my MDX. For me, the extra few shekels was well worth it. A year after buying the new MDX, the novelty has not worn off....
Hey that's great and I would assume that is the default position of anyone who bought an MDX (because otherwise they wouldn't have bought an MDX). I wish people could stop disparaging anyone ("this is silly") who may possibly still consider comparing them though. Realize that "a few shekels" is really around $8,000 to $12,000, or said another way, a 25%-ish premium to buy the MDX vs a Pilot. It was "well worth it" to you and for some people price is not a consideration. For others (like me obviously since I keep posting) they might want to think a little more analytically between the options first.

· Registered
1,748 Posts
Look....if you want to rationalize that there is no real difference between the cars that's fine. Only you can decide if the extra $$ is worth it. When I bought my MDX, I cross shopped the Audi Q8. It was a terrific car, but to ME, the extra $$ was simply not worth it.

· Registered
25 Posts
Hey that's great and I would assume that is the default position of anyone who bought an MDX (because otherwise they wouldn't have bought an MDX). I wish people could stop disparaging anyone ("this is silly") who may possibly still consider comparing them though. Realize that "a few shekels" is really around $8,000 to $12,000, or said another way, a 25%-ish premium to buy the MDX vs a Pilot. It was "well worth it" to you and for some people price is not a consideration. For others (like me obviously since I keep posting) they might want to think a little more analytically between the options first.
Exactly. There is no silliness in comparing the Pilot to the MDX. Our intent is not to make the MDX owners justify the premium over the Pilot. You like, you own it. I've owned the 2018 MDX SHAWD (base) and have also driven the Pilot (2017). Not that much of a difference other than looks and better interiors. However, with the 2022 MDX and onwards, I will applaud Acura for making an effort to differentiate the MDX from the Pilot (e.g., double wishbone front suspension, full LED project headlamps/tail-lights, ELS sound system, and a dedicated high-performance Type S model).
As Hogan indicated, I do fall in the category that wants to compare the Pilot (EXL, Touring) and MDX (Base, Tech), test drive and then make a decision, as the $$ delta between the respective trims is substantial (for me).

· Registered
489 Posts
Exactly. There is no silliness in comparing the Pilot to the MDX. Our intent is not to make the MDX owners justify the premium over the Pilot. You like, you own it. I've owned the 2018 MDX SHAWD (base) and have also driven the Pilot (2017). Not that much of a difference other than looks and better interiors. However, with the 2022 MDX and onwards, I will applaud Acura for making an effort to differentiate the MDX from the Pilot (e.g., double wishbone front suspension, full LED project headlamps/tail-lights, ELS sound system, and a dedicated high-performance Type S model).
As Hogan indicated, I do fall in the category that wants to compare the Pilot (EXL, Touring) and MDX (Base, Tech), test drive and then make a decision, as the $$ delta between the respective trims is substantial (for me).
Amen brother

As I said earlier too, unfortunately I think it may be folly to even compare the Base MDX if one can't really buy one in the wild. I am operating under the assumption that a Tech MDX is the cheapest option in MDX-land

· Registered
25 Posts
Amen brother

As I said earlier too, unfortunately I think it may be folly to even compare the Base MDX if one can't really buy one in the wild. I am operating under the assumption that a Tech MDX is the cheapest option in MDX-land
You're right, the base SHAWD is incredibly hard to find. I am going to piss off a lot of MDX owners here by comparing a 2023 Pilot EXL AWD ($45.4) to a 2023 MDX SHAWD TECH ($57.6).

However, in MDX defense, a more apple to apple comparison would be the Pilot Touring (almost $50k). Now the gap to the MDX Tech closes, and if we get reasonable 4% off on the MDX, then MDX will be my choice.

· Registered
4,853 Posts
This thread is about Honda vs Honda (Pilot vs MDX) but unless one is a truly loyal Honda serial purchaser, it's prudent to check out the whole market for a vehicle purchase and this includes other brands/models. When I bought my 1998 Dodge Durango it was about the only mid sized 3 row SUV on the market and was just what I was looking for at the time hence the purchase. Fast forward to today and almost every manufacturer has a 3 row mid size SUV product for sale and many/most of them can be had in some trim level that includes leather, carplay, a bunch of safety tech, reasonably powerful engines, etc. so on just spec it's difficult to differentiate many of them, especially if one keeps an open mind as to brand names.

This means the real differentiator will often come down to the nexus of all of the functions, features, quality, etc. which is best determined by a good quality test drive or better yet, multiple test drives. Something can look great on paper but not compare as well as the next vehicle when it comes to the test drive, and the results of the test drive will be interpreted differently by different people. Some like a firm, great cornering vehicle yet others want a cushy ride. Some care immensely about the 0-60 time and will pay a lot to shave some tenths of a second off that time yet others just care about 'reasonable acceleration' that can perform the duties of passing, etc.

Even though the Pilot and MDX are both Honda products they're targeted towards somewhat different audiences (albeit with a fair amount of overlap) and when it comes down to it I think it'll be the test drive versus what the individual is looking for bounced against cost that'll lead people to the best decision for that person. It's not a one size fits all hence why so many different vehicles are made, even by the same manufacturer.

As far as this thread goes - most people here either own an MDX of some vintage or are thinking of buying a new MDX and many of the people here also have purchased other Honda products including the Pilot so it only makes sense to have an MDX/Pilot comparison thread to discuss the merits of each one. I think there'll be plenty of people cross shopping the two due to their similarities.

· Registered
489 Posts
You're right, the base SHAWD is incredibly hard to find. I am going to piss off a lot of MDX owners here by comparing a 2023 Pilot EXL AWD ($45.4) to a 2023 MDX SHAWD TECH ($57.6).

However, in MDX defense, a more apple to apple comparison would be the Pilot Touring (almost $50k). Now the gap to the MDX Tech closes, and if we get reasonable 4% off on the MDX, then MDX will be my choice.
Yep, again I would love to see a side by side comparison of features. Is the EXL AWD really so far away from the Tech package feature-wise? Maybe it is, dunno. Is the Touring "closing the gap" which implies the MDX still has more, or is a Pilot Touring the same? (or might the Pilot Touring have anything that an MDX DOESN'T and reserves for the A-Spec or Advance trims?) The Pilot Touring says $48.5, so still $9,100 less than a Tech MDX, still "a few shekels" as they say :).

It's too bad that the MDX doesn't carry more of a difference engine-wise or transmission-wise vs the Honda variant. I'm thinking of CR-V vs RDX, where you CANNOT get the RDX engine or transmission in a CR-V. So real difference there. Like if ALL MDX'es came with the larger engine used on the Type-S, or if MDX EXCLUSIVELY offered a performance-tilted Hybrid option that isn't offered at all on Pilot. There I would think it easier to just stop comparing the Honda vs Acura. Like on the RDX I never feel the pull to line it up with a CR-V because with a CR-V you get a smaller engine and a CVT rather than the larger engine and a traditional auto trans in the RDX. But when the MDX and Pilot have basically the exact same engine then that really throws out the "higher performance" argument, and so we are all left to just admit that the MDX "LOOKS FASTER" while at rest since it is sportier styled, and it may feel a little more sporty in the twists and turns due to suspension, but it's not like the MDX is gonna completely gonna own the Pilot in straight power and acceleration.

· Registered
25 Posts
Yep, again I would love to see a side by side comparison of features. Is the EXL AWD really so far away from the Tech package feature-wise? Maybe it is, dunno. Is the Touring "closing the gap" which implies the MDX still has more, or is a Pilot Touring the same? (or might the Pilot Touring have anything that an MDX DOESN'T and reserves for the A-Spec or Advance trims?) The Pilot Touring says $48.5, so still $9,100 less than a Tech MDX, still "a few shekels" as they say :).

It's too bad that the MDX doesn't carry more of a difference engine-wise or transmission-wise vs the Honda variant. I'm thinking of CR-V vs RDX, where you CANNOT get the RDX engine or transmission in a CR-V. So real difference there. Like if ALL MDX'es came with the larger engine used on the Type-S, or if MDX EXCLUSIVELY offered a performance-tilted Hybrid option that isn't offered at all on Pilot. There I would think it easier to just stop comparing the Honda vs Acura. Like on the RDX I never feel the pull to line it up with a CR-V because with a CR-V you get a smaller engine and a CVT rather than the larger engine and a traditional auto trans in the RDX. But when the MDX and Pilot have basically the exact same engine then that really throws out the "higher performance" argument, and so we are all left to just admit that the MDX "LOOKS FASTER" while at rest since it is sportier styled, and it may feel a little more sporty in the twists and turns due to suspension, but it's not like the MDX is gonna completely gonna own the Pilot in straight power and acceleration.
It's hard to be objective between the Pilot and the non Type S MDX, unlike the RDX that has a clear separation with the CRV. I think Honda must be reading these forums and therefore they did the same with the 2023 Accord where they removed the excellent 2.0T engine, as the older Accord with 2.0T kind of cannibalized the TLX. Now the TLX is safe. ;).

We can talk days at length on handling, looks, features, and how it feels to drive. At the end of the day, I am waiting to test drive the Pilot in Dec and IF there is no perceptible difference to me, I will just buy the Pilot EXL AWD and call it a day. If I do feel a substantial delta, then a Liquid Carbon Metallic MDX SHAWD Tech should be in my garage. YMMV.

· Registered
16 Posts
I would say EXL Pilot which is now the base would have quite a bit to the next level. Judging by current Pilot and knowing Honda pretty well. You would be missing on navigation, heated seats, wireless charging, probably pano moonroof and much nicer wheels. Maybe even powered tailgate, or at least hands free would be the next level up.

Realistically you are probably at least 5-8k difference between the 2 vehicles on each comparable trim. If that is worth it to you is up to you. Yes power is going to be similar obviously but handling is quite different and the way it's tuned. I've had 3 MDXs and 2 Pilots now and you can't go wrong either way. You will get more for the MDX when getting a new car in the future so the initial "investment" is not a total loss.

· Registered
2023 A-Spec / Had '06 Touring/Nav
388 Posts
We can talk days at length on handling, looks, features, and how it feels to drive. At the end of the day, I am waiting to test drive the Pilot in Dec and IF there is no perceptible difference to me, I will just buy the Pilot EXL AWD and call it a day. If I do feel a substantial delta, then a Liquid Carbon Metallic MDX SHAWD Tech should be in my garage. YMMV.
Exactly. Unless you can make a decision based on text and images, you have to go see and drive the vehicles in person.

Most members of this forum are likely biased toward the MDX, like me. Duh. We made the comparisons and made our choice. If we can be of assistance with questions concerning the MDX specifically, that may be the most productive use of this forum. To get us to tell you we screwed up and the Pilot is equivalent or even a better value, good luck. For many of us, and certainly myself, there was no real choice between the Pilot and MDX.

Sometimes, no matter how nice a person identifying as female may be, we still opt for the pretty one....of course, beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder.

· Registered
489 Posts
Exactly. Unless you can make a decision based on text and images, you have to go see and drive the vehicles in person.

Most members of this forum are likely biased toward the MDX, like me. Duh. We made the comparisons and made our choice. If we can be of assistance with questions concerning the MDX specifically, that may be the most productive use of this forum. To get us to tell you we screwed up and the Pilot is equivalent or even a better value, good luck. For many of us, and certainly myself, there was no real choice between the Pilot and MDX.

Sometimes, no matter how nice a person identifying as female may be, we still opt for the pretty one....of course, beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder.
I hear you but would like to point out....NONE OF YOU even had this more "direct" comparison when you bought the MDX, unless you bought the MDX in the last 30 days. The current Pilot is LONG in the tooth and the looks are pretty minivan-like and dated, so 100% between a 2021/22 Pilot and a 22 MDX on the new larger MDX platform, I would take an MDX all day long and twice on Sunday. But for me at least, with the brand new 2023 Pilot on the same larger platform as the 2022/23 MDX, and with much improved looks both exterior and interior, the Pilot now does a big catch-up to the newest MDX, and that is only why I am now cross shopping.

And nobody is asking anyone to "tell us you screwed up" - first of all each person's choice is sacred and second of all, to my point above, how could you even suggest you made the wrong choice when the "choice" we are talking about has only been in view for 30 days now....

· Registered
489 Posts
I would say EXL Pilot which is now the base would have quite a bit to the next level. Judging by current Pilot and knowing Honda pretty well. You would be missing on navigation, heated seats, wireless charging, probably pano moonroof and much nicer wheels. Maybe even powered tailgate, or at least hands free would be the next level up.

Realistically you are probably at least 5-8k difference between the 2 vehicles on each comparable trim. If that is worth it to you is up to you. Yes power is going to be similar obviously but handling is quite different and the way it's tuned. I've had 3 MDXs and 2 Pilots now and you can't go wrong either way. You will get more for the MDX when getting a new car in the future so the initial "investment" is not a total loss.
Re: EXL - for sure it has heated seats - even the Sport model has that. And has powered tailgate per press release below, as well as wireless charging. Not sure about pano moonroof. Appears Touring gets the "satellite NAV" but honestly in late 2022, does anyone really value this feature? I would say 98% of us can use the wireless Carplay or Android Auto. It's a bit like saying the Touring upgrades from a standard radio with cassette player to a 6-CD changer....that's an upgrade for sure but who really gives a f&ck at this point :)

PRESS RELEASE:

Exceptionally Well-Equipped
Designed and developed in the U.S., the 2023 Pilot lineup starts with the very well-equipped Sport, which comes with Honda's all-new 3.5-liter V6 that debuts on Pilot, paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission that has been tuned exclusively for Pilot. The combination is smooth and responsive, with 285 horsepower at 6,100 rpm and 262 lb.-ft. of torque at 5,000 rpm (both SAE net). A new standard Hill Descent Control system enhances Pilot's off-road capability.

A new easy-to-use 7-inch touchscreen audio system is standard with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ compatibility, physical volume and tuning knobs and a simplified menu structure. Partial digital instrumentation, tri-zone automatic climate control, heated front seats, LED headlights and Shark Gray 7-spoke 20-inch wheels are also standard.

Pilot EX-L builds on the Sport's equipment with leather seats and a standard 9-inch touchscreen, wireless Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ compatibility and a simplified menu structure. Qi-compatible 15W wireless smartphone charging, an upgraded 9-speaker audio system and a power tailgate are all standard. EX-L also adds exterior flash with chrome trim and grille bar and machined 5-spoke 18-inch alloy wheels.

The new Pilot TrailSport brings even more off-road capability to the Pilot lineup. Exclusive rugged hardware includes an off-road tuned suspension with an additional inch of ground clearance, robust steel skid plates to better protect the underbody from damage on the trailnd expanded all-wheel drive capabilities.

Pilot TrailSport is also the first Honda SUV with all-terrain tires for improved off-road traction. TrailSport's unique 18-inch wheels have a rugged look and are carefully designed to reduce the likelihood of trail damage.

A new TrailWatch camera system (also standard on Elite) uses four exterior cameras and four camera views to help drivers navigate off-road obstacles.

Exclusive to TrailSport, a new available Diffused Sky Blue paint color highlights its rugged design and adventurous spirit. In the cabin, TrailSport stands out with rugged details including exclusive orange contrast stitching, all-season floor mats with TrailSport logos, and head restraints embroidered with the TrailSport logo. A sliding panoramic sunroof is also standard.

For a higher level of versatility, Pilot Touring adds on-demand 8-occupant flexibility (also standard on Elite). In the second row, a first-in-class multi-function removable middle seat can be conveniently stored underneath the rear cargo floor instead of being left at home in the garage. Families then have the seat available if they need it later in their journey, providing owners three distinct seating options on demand. Pilot is the only vehicle in its class with 8-occupant seating and an opening panoramic sunroof.

A 12-speaker Bose premium audio system custom-engineered for the new interior delivers a concert-quality listening experience. Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ and Wi-Fi Hotspot capability are also standard.

Pilot Elite tops the lineup with standard all-wheel drive, and additional interior features and functions including perforated leather seat inserts, ventilated front seats, a configurable 10.2-inch digital instrument display, a color head-up display, and a multi-view camera system with a 360-degree view.

Touring and Elite also receive premium exterior finishes, including a gloss black grille mesh and B-pillar, dual chrome exhaust garnish and distinct 7-spoke 20-inch alloy wheels with a machined-finish.

· Registered
2023 A-Spec / Had '06 Touring/Nav
388 Posts
Again, even limiting it specifically to the new Pilot, it's no different than comparing a CRV to the RDX, a Civic to ILX, or Accord to TLX. I'm pretty confident that very few, if any, MDX gen 4 owners given the opportunity to change to a "comparable" Pilot would do it. Even for $6-8K shekels.

You're comparing apples to pears here. Notice I didn't say oranges. The MDX and Pilot certainly have crossover market share but, consider this, Honda Motor Company is not in the business of cannibalizing it's own sales. They clearly intend, and believe they are acting on their intentions, that there are largely separate markets for these products.

· Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
490 Posts
Hogan is just a troll. He goes around to issue threads and moans about the 4th gen mdx problems.

Meanwhile he's all in on buying another first model year car from the same brand that is cheaper, lower spec and just flat out less car.

But please continue to tell us more about how a pilot is the same car as the mdx. It shares about 20% of its parts... SAME CAR!

· Registered
489 Posts
Hogan is just a troll. He goes around to issue threads and moans about the 4th gen mdx problems.

Meanwhile he's all in on buying another first model year car from the same brand that is cheaper, lower spec and just flat out less car.

But please continue to tell us more about how a pilot is the same car as the mdx. It shares about 20% of its parts... SAME CAR!
Dude whatever - not saying it is the "same car." Where do you get your information that it shares 20% of its parts by the way? I mean yes I guess you can say that the MDX has a "different engine" since it isn't the exact same engine but it sure is pretty much the same engine. Yes the sheet metal is obviously different and not "the same" parts exactly. Doesn't mean a rational person can't cross shop the two. And I haven't bought either one yet, and might end up choosing the MDX depending on how the Pilot looks and feels (and also, if the Honda dealers are going to pull some BS $10K market adjustment then of course I would have to go MDX).

If you read this forum there are plenty of complaints about MDX issues - honestly I wish I didn't read so many of them because then I could feel like by paying extra I was getting a much better engineered and assembled car.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts