Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone driving around in a 3rd gen MDX with the ANC disabled? I installed my after market sub amp and I get the dreaded ANC feedback.

1. Does ANC really make a difference in the driving experience?
2. If you've done it, what is the best way to do it?

I've done the process of disabling it from the developers menu but it comes back on after a restart and I'm not even sure if it actually disables it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
One thing you could maybe try is to remove the anc module itself. I think it's behind the glove box and i have some instructions from the 16 pilot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm....so clear documentation where the module is located or how to disable it? Might have a o pull the headliner down and unplug the mic. That might cause other issues though.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hmmm....so clear documentation where the module is located or how to disable it? Might have a o pull the headliner down and unplug the mic. That might cause other issues though.
The mic is just the unit in the top controls and can be unplugged easily, the ANC module itself is behind the glove box. And yeah there are some concerns that removing it disables your microphone too. Nobody has ever tried it yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! Removing the ANC module fixed the problem. The kicker sub and amp now sounds awesome. I can feel the nice bass even in the front seat. Sweet! If you add an after market amp to power your sub, you MUST remove the ANC module.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Thank you! Removing the ANC module fixed the problem. The kicker sub and amp now sounds awesome. I can feel the nice bass even in the front seat. Sweet! If you add an after market amp to power your sub, you MUST remove the ANC module.
Does your mic work though?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Thanks for experimenting! Azine guys have been wondering for ages on how to disable ANC and now you've found the permanent method :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
The mic on my 15 mdx is located in the headliner in the rear compartment. Mine had to be replaced.
So when you removed the glove box, you had to take off the glove door and box? Pretty easy? The instruction say "Remove Glovebox" which does not show how to do that. Think I would just remove harness and leave the anc module there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. You can just unplug it and leave the ANC module in its place. Pretty easy to remove the glove box. Removing the mic from the headliner is more risky. Why take the risk of biding the headliner?

·
Registered
316 Posts
My MDX had an exceedingly loud feedback when it activated at around 40mph, 1600rpm. Service heard it and they admitted that was loud. They could not figure it out so they called their Tech support. They were told to replace mic. After it was replaced, it did not change a thing. Tech support then had them to change out the module. That was the fix.
Acura should have turned off anc anytime radio or other media is being played. No reason it needs to be on when music is playing, but it is what it is.

How do you get into the developers or troubleshooting mode on the navigation? I would like to see what other settings can be played with. Otherwise, I just may disconnect anc if removing glove box is ez.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So this is the mysterious noise I must be hearing, the feedback isn't that bad on mine, but I can hear it when I turn off the volume completely. I may just unplug the unit, anyone have instructions on how to remove the glove box?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
So this is the mysterious noise I must be hearing, the feedback isn't that bad on mine, but I can hear it when I turn off the volume completely. I may just unplug the unit, anyone have instructions on how to remove the glove box?
I only have the instructions from the 2016 Pilot, but they are very similarly constructed for the glove box.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't you just disable the ANC via software?

* Hold NAV + Menu + Back buttons until developer screen appears
* Hold Menu button until option list appears
* Scroll down to the third page with ANC settings and disable.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Just for Internet posterity, this setting does not survive a restart.

Also, the glove box removal instructions are substantially different for the MDX.

1. Remove the tray and the air filter cover.
2. Remove the glove box light by pulling it by the sides and twisting off the wire by the small black plastic piece that connects it to the light cover.
3. Remove the trim around the glove compartment. The wood trim piece on top, the side trim next to the door, the trim piece with the glove box open button and the passenger vent cover.
4. Remove four of the 8mm gold bolts and the four silver Phillips head screws that are holding the glove box in place. Note that one of the screws is different from the other three.
5. Pull out the glove box.
6. Disconnect the ANC module (PN: 39200-TZ6-A511) and tape the wire to its side so it doesn’t rattle.
7. Reverse the steps to reinstall. Remember to pull through the light wire inside as you’re refitting the glove box back in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found that only disconnecting the ANC unit behind the glovebox on our 2017 worked permanently (the software toggle doesn't survive a restart as others have pointed out).

Once we did that of course we did not need to disconnect any front or rear ANC microphones. Mostly what unplugging the Anc unit resulted in was a) doing so brought back some of the middle-low frequencies for XM radio (that were suppressed by ANC to give it "room" to cancel out the lower frequency exhaust notes, and b) now we hear the lower frequency exhaust notes more prominently (of course).

In our case it's a positive tradeoff, as we listen to XM a lot. If we didn't, I probably would not have bothered. And hearing the exhaust is (to me) a subtle difference. It's still quieter inside than our new Buick Enclave.

·
Registered
114 Posts
These instructions are quite good, and is what I followed.
I was hesitant to do this at first but it turned out to be very easy and only takes about 10 minutes.

I just wanted to clarify that it really does require the removal of every trim mentioned in order to get to all the screws to drop the glove box. After dropping the glove box, the ANC module is easy to identify. There isn't much going on behind the glove box anyway.
After disconnecting the module, the microphone still works with my bluetooth connected phone as well as voice commands.

Here's a picture.

1. Remove the tray and the air filter cover.
2. Remove the glove box light by pulling it by the sides and twisting off the wire by the small black plastic piece that connects it to the light cover.
3. Remove the trim around the glove compartment. The wood trim piece on top, the side trim next to the door, the trim piece with the glove box open button and the passenger vent cover.
4. Remove four of the 8mm gold bolts and the four silver Phillips head screws that are holding the glove box in place. Note that one of the screws is different from the other three.
5. Pull out the glove box.
6. Disconnect the ANC module (PN: 39200-TZ6-A511) and tape the wire to its side so it doesn’t rattle.
7. Reverse the steps to reinstall. Remember to pull through the light wire inside as you’re refitting the glove box back in.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts

I tried to access the developer screen on my 2018 using these instructions and nothing happened, even after holding ~15 seconds. User error or did this change with the new systems?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts