Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Y'all!

I did a search, but I don't see where anyone has replaced door glass themselves. Wife was overjoyed this morning to see her driver's side rear window shattered and her briefcase MIA. Just great. Safelite wants $400 to replace it, not bad really, but I can order the glass for $150 incl shipping. We've had some unexpected bills and I'd like to save a few bucks.

Anybody ever replace door glass themselves? Just trying to get an idea how hard it is: $400 might be worth it if it's a PITA.

I'm also replacing the rear discs as soon as they arrive. Long story, but the summary is: buy new rotors when you buy new pads.

2009 Base, 95K miles trouble-free.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have tried the yard, but didn't really have time to go out there and dig around. I ordered new glass from Rockauto and installed it last week. Only problem is a HUGE gap between the glass and the bottom weatherstripping. I can't figure out what the issue is, and I'm reluctant to open the door back up until I have some idea what to do.

When I open it back up I'll take pics and do a write-up, it's not that difficult but there are a few gotchas. I could do it better next time, but I'm hoping there is no next time!

c.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I should have tried the yard, but didn't really have time to go out there and dig around. I ordered new glass from Rockauto and installed it last week. Only problem is a HUGE gap between the glass and the bottom weatherstripping. I can't figure out what the issue is, and I'm reluctant to open the door back up until I have some idea what to do.

When I open it back up I'll take pics and do a write-up, it's not that difficult but there are a few gotchas. I could do it better next time, but I'm hoping there is no next time!

c.
I can post the service manual scans for you but the only thing it shows in there is how to remove the glass and regulator and reinstall. It's very possible you pulled the channels towards the car when installing the new glass and they need to be pushed and screwed into place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I'll look at the service manual pages, can I find them online somewhere?

The rear channel was a real bear, that's true. It is sort of spring-loaded to keep the glass snug in the channel. It's entirely possible I tweaked it when I was muscling the glass into the channels.

Figures we would be having almost two solid weeks of rain now. Oh well.

Thanks all, I'll post my findings!
c.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I opened the door back up last night to try and figure out why there's a big gap at the lower weatherstrip. The front weatherstrip channel is fixed to the door, it can't go anywhere. The rear channel is held by a bracket: you have to remove the bracket to provide enough flexibility to install the glass. The regulator bolts in top and bottom, pretty straightforward.

The cap problem seems weird: it's just not that complex a system, and I don't see anywhere to adjust the fit.

I am considering adding shims, either to the bolts that hold the glass on the regulator, or on the regulator mounting bolts, to shift the glass outboard so it will seal.

I did a search to find a service manual, but Helm shows it's out of stock, and $170: ouch.

I may have to swallow my pride and go to Safelite. Probably should have done that first. Live and learn.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Turns out that I have 2 sets of the mdx 07-09 service manuals and one copy of the electrical manual.

The drivers' rear door is in 20-30

I included the latch section because there is a collar on the bottom of the lower channel that might play into the glass positioning. I have not taken the glass out of an MDX, so good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts