Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I bought an 09 MDX a few months ago. I noticed an aftermarket item installed under my steering wheel next to the fuse box but I have no idea what this is.
I tried unplugging the connector right behind the main box (a quarter-size plastic body in the picture) but nothing happened.

Today i realized there were a whole bunch of wires tabbed onto the existing wires. I wonder what it is. I can try to pull it out but I wanted to ask if anybody has seen something similar or knows what it may be.

Thanks!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
It looks like it may be an electric brake controller. Is there a trailer hitch installed on your car? If so, how many wires are on the harness plug? If there are 5 or 7, I may be on the right track.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks gwilki for your answer.

Funny thing is that it didn't have a trailer hitch when i bought it. I installed one myself after purchasing the car but this (what is in the picture) was already there. so i don't think it is a brake control. besides, shouldn't there be a button or something if it were a brake controller? I maybe wrong.
Thank you for your input. appreciate it. =)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like an old-school immobilizer...before the keys had built-in immobilizers some dealers would add this and it would prevent the engine from starting unless you had the transponder with you. That's what I think it is...

Something similar:
Transponder Immobilizer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like an old-school immobilizer...before the keys had built-in immobilizers some dealers would add this and it would prevent the engine from starting unless you had the transponder with you. That's what I think it is...

Something similar:
Transponder Immobilizer
Really?
Doesn't MDX come with immobilizer from the factory? If that is so, i'll just remove it. No need to have that...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A GPS tracking devise is what it looks like. Is there any brand markings from what you can see?
There is no brand or any marking except "pass" and date sticker on it.
Ok if it is a gps tracking, i'll take it out. Don't want others to know where i am going.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Really?
Doesn't MDX come with immobilizer from the factory? If that is so, i'll just remove it. No need to have that...
Yes they do...it just looked like an immobilizer that i've seen before...of course it could also be left over from an aftermarket alarm/starter

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Does it make any sounds during startup or when driving (looks like it could be a sensor alarm)? Are there any additional aftermarket parts like front or rear parking sensors or remote start? Does it look like the previous owner might have removed the aftermarket part and just left the wiring?

Maybe if you see what fuses it is tapped into, it could narrow down its function.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts