1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
128 Posts
not exactly this one but some other similar products.

couldn't find myself being refreshed as they advertise.
besides some noise coming out from the unit gave me a headache
to remove the unit.

:3:

·
Registered
653 Posts
I was interested in this as well. I pretty much have year round allergies. (Allergy tests showed that out of 32 things tested, I was NOT allergic to mold or ferns :)

My friend has one and loves it. I thought these units were silent and produced little or no noise?

I was considering the Quadra model and not the GP version. I heard somewhere that the air passing the UV chamber does not remain long enough to effectively work. This is only what I heard, I do not know if this is true or not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Save your money guys… The Consumer Reports reviewed the air purifiers and found that this type does not provide any benefit whatsoever… Here is the snippet:

The other electronic-precipitator model, the Sharper Image SI637 Ionic Breeze Quadra Silent Air Purifier, proved unimpressive in our tests. Ads for this unit tout its silence and miserly power consumption. Both are attributable to its lack of a fan. But so is its disappointing performance; we found almost no measurable reduction in airborne particles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
DevExpert said:
Save your money guys?The Consumer Reports reviewed the air purifiers and found that this type does not provide any benefit whatsoever?Here is the snippet:

thank you!

was there any report on additional headache due to the unit? :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are some dabates about ionic type air purifiers, since they will create ozone. Small amount of ozone can clean up the air. However, some people claim that ozone is not good for our body. BTW, the negative-charged (or positve-charged) particles tend to stick on your wall and make your wall dirty.

I'm not a expert on air cleaner. You can search the information on the news group. I'm still sticked with the filter type purifier.

BTW, this post may be better in the off topic forum.

Elli

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't think they are worth the money. They do filter the air, but they don't push much air. We have two Ionic Breeze filters (second one was half price) and we also have 3 hepa filters. During pollen season, we need to run the hepa filters. The Ionic Breeze filters just don't push enough air.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Standalone HEPA filters have been shown to effectively eliminate most airborne particles. There have also been tests on HEPA vacuum cleaners and also vacuums with "microfiltration bags" that have been shown to also be effective. We currently don't recommend Ionizers for our patients (although some have claimed to notice a difference with them).

Allergy season is here :eek:

BTW, I'm an allergist :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so what do you guys use in your cars...?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a pair of these in my Home Theater room and they do a good job. I don’t know how CR tested them but I have to clean mine about twice a month, as they start making a slight buzzing sound, as they get dirty.

Earl

·
Registered
715 Posts
Well, I had two of these Sharper Image cleaners and returned them both....and cheerfully got my money back. You have to move air to clean it, and the "breeze" just doesn't cut it IMO. The crud that the units pick up pale in comparison to what a HEPA cleaner picks up.

The product line is apparently the best seller ever for SI. That says a lot since I remember Richard Thalheimer selling "fake" Rolex watches in the late '70's. Some people like them. I stuck with my HEPA filters.....and am very satisfied.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got a pair of the full sized version and it does not work. I would go with the Friedrich.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
mc0818 said:
I got a pair of the full sized version and it does not work. I would go with the Friedrich.
mc0818, you should probably return them, and get some that work. Obviously you got defective units. Mine work fine.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I did read a review about a year ago, and the Friedrich and another brand were considered most effective. They both had internal fans were rather plain to ugly looking boxes, but very effective.
They were some measurable benefit to the Ionic Breeze within smaller environs where there was reasonable air circulation. If I can find it again, I shall post the link.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As I understand the problem with Ionic Breeze from SI was that it does not have a fan that pulls the air in for filtration...

Today I saw the Honeywell Environizer at Radio Shack (only looks similar to the SI unit) and I got the smaller version to try. http://www.radioshack.com/Content/Environizer.asp?hm=sub3
From there it says that
Environizer cleans the air by positively charging the incoming air. Then the positively charged particles, like pollen and pet dander, attach to the negatively charged rod, "trapping" them.
These units do have the fan to draw the air through the unit and they do not emit the Ozone. Interesting thing that in Instructions for this unit specifically is mentioned that EPA does not recommend the Ozone emitting air cleaners since they are not safe for household use :8: …

I decided to try Environizer and see what it traps and test if there is any benefit… We'll shall see… I'll post an update in 3-4 weeks...

·
Registered
73 Posts
DevExpert:

I heard about the statement on the Ozone, too. That's why I still stick with HEPA air purifier. It's good that this one does not emit Ozone. Another thing is that you might want to check the wall after use it. I was told that those positve-charged particles tend to stick on your wall. Your walls will get dirty.

Please post your test result. I'll love to hear it.

Thanks,
Elli

1 - 20 of 26 Posts