Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the post says I installed bc racing coilovers on a mdx 2020 which is 22” rims. Truck looks amazing in my opinion. Cleaned up the fender gap very well.but now I’m having a clunking sound coming from the drivers side front and I’ve already upgraded to moog sway end links so I know it’s not that.just wanted to know if anyone had any idea what it might be or has encountered a problem like this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check your spring preload?
No I haven’t. I don’t have tools,time or experience to really be taking the coilovers out to check this type of thing. But I’m setting a date soon to go to mechanic and have the front coilovers removed and check the preload on them. I’m really starting to think that could be it.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
137 Posts
Make sure you go to a speed shop rather than a regular mechanic, most mechanics don't know a thing about aftermarket suspension adjustment. When you have coil overs, there is going to be some noise and most times it's due to preload and the lack of the rubber spring perch pads that the stock suspension uses. PS, check your CV boots often. Every single one of mine ripped right after I dropped my MDX. I dropped mine almost 4 inches with SF Racing coil overs, how much did you drop yours?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn’t touch the ride height when I got it from bc racing. They went from the box directly on to truck. And the front was perfect fit with the 22’s that I had on the truck already. I was going for the flush look you know. But yeah pretty significant drop probably around 4 inches give or take.I really couldn’t take the factory height it look like a monster truck lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn’t touch the ride height when I got it from bc racing. They went from the box directly on to truck. And the front was perfect fit with the 22’s that I had on the truck already. I was going for the flush look you know. But yeah pretty significant drop probably around 4 inches give or take.I really couldn’t take the factory height it look like a monster truck lol
Make sure you go to a speed shop rather than a regular mechanic, most mechanics don't know a thing about aftermarket suspension adjustment. When you have coil overs, there is going to be some noise and most times it's due to preload and the lack of the rubber spring perch pads that the stock suspension uses. PS, check your CV boots often. Every single one of mine ripped right after I dropped my MDX. I dropped mine almost 4 inches with SF Racing coil overs, how much did you drop yours? View attachment 117130
I’ve looked at the cv boot a few times since dropping it seems like everything is fine so far lol. The truck is a 2020 so most things look fairly new underneath but I guess anything can happen. On another note I’ve seen a lot videos were they adjust the preload while the coilovers are still on the car.I wonder if I can do the same.that’s just a matter of jacking up car removing wheel and adjust. But then idk sounds easier said then done.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
137 Posts
BC racing sends the kit with ride height and preload pre-adjusted? I had to set my preload before installing and it took me weeks of daily tweeking to finally get the ride height to my liking then I had to adjust ride height again months later after the springs settled. I am not sure if you can adjust preload with the springs on the car but I suppose you could if you unloaded the weight off the suspension. My front drivers side and both rears are making noise so I will have to adjust them real soon. My guess is that the springs settled and threw off preload.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BC racing sends the kit with ride height and preload pre-adjusted? I had to set my preload before installing and it took me weeks of daily tweeking to finally get the ride height to my liking then I had to adjust ride height again months later after the springs settled. I am not sure if you can adjust preload with the springs on the car but I suppose you could if you unloaded the weight off the suspension. My front drivers side and both rears are making noise so I will have to adjust them real soon. My guess is that the springs settled and threw off preload.
Yea bc says their coilovers come pre loaded to the specs of your car but that you should always double check everything before install.which I didn’t because where I went was a mechanic shop not a speed shop. I reached out to bc racing and they recommended a shop that’s here in New York that they deal with directly,so I’m waiting on a appointment so I can bring my car there and get this issue solved.. I’m just curious what state are you in like what’s the time difference?I’m here in New York.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts