Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 MDX, around 53K miles, just posted a check engine light for the first time. It indicates 'Emissions System Problem'. I connected my OBD2 scanner to it but the scanner comes back with an Err1, which means it can't talk to the MDX properly.

Do any of you know of a way to see the error codes in a display on the MDX without the need for a scanner?

If you think about it, it's pointless to have to connect a scanner to a vehicle like this when the vehicle already knows the codes and already has perfectly suitable displays either one of the center large displays or the MID. I had one vehicle once that'd display it piecemeal by flashing a light, which worked fine.

I can always head over to Autozone and try a second scanner but it'd be easier to just have the vehicle do it and I don't know if the second scanner would have more success than the one I tried.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wasn't very patient - I went to Autozone and used their scanner to read the code, which worked. It's code P0455 which points primarily to the gas cap, which is what I gave the highest probability to in the first place. I'm giving the cap another chance - I removed it and put it back on.

Now I need to figure out how to clear the code since my scanner doesn't seem to work with this vehicle (but it's an old scanner). I may just buy another scanner.

If you know of an easy way to reset the code without a scanner and without removing battery power, let me know.

I'd still like to know the answer to the question I started this thread for though - whether there's a way to have the vehicle itself display the codes without the need for a scanner or inserting jumper wires.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Do you have a smart phone? Download the app "Torque". Then go to Ebay and buy a OBDll dongle and plug it in. Once you set up torque you will be able to monitor everything Acura has programed for the OBD port. It will also allow you to read and clear codes. It is customizable so you can have all sorts of gage readouts. Total cost if you also pay for the better version of torque should be less than 20 dollars.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^ Thanks, but I know it can be done with a scanner/dongle. I was trying to determine if this vehicle was capable of indicating the codes itself and if they can be reset via some diagnostic setting or something without the need for an ODB2 device.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I know in the past that you could get Hondas to display codes via blinking patterns on the lights in the instrument panel (check engine light, D light for transmission, etc.) The way to do it was to jump pins 4 and 9 on the OBD II connector with a short wire or paperclip. Not sure if the newer models can still do this. I also don't know if there's a way to clear the code without a scan tool.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Isn’t the gas cap code one that will auto reset the next time the car performs and passes an evap test? I’d give it a couple days of driving.

·
Registered
731 Posts
^^ Thanks, but I know it can be done with a scanner/dongle. I was trying to determine if this vehicle was capable of indicating the codes itself and if they can be reset via some diagnostic setting or something without the need for an ODB2 device.
I recall I was able to go into the “developer or service mode” by pressing 3 buttons on the console at the same time - I can’t recall which three but it’s searchable. And from there I was able to clear the codes.

I needed to do that when I got the Christmas Lights Dash issues becasue my battery need to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ I tried the Nav+Back+Menu but that only brings up a diag screen for setting things regarding the nav system - I didn't see an option to reset the codes. Maybe there's a different 3 button combo.

The Autozone scanner would only scan the code, and even for that one needs to scan it then take the tool back into the store for them to hook to their POS terminal to display the code and recommend what you can buy from them to fix it (a gas cap in my case, which I didn't buy), which is pretty clever on their part to both avoid theft of the tool and create an opportunity to sell a part, and their scanner doesn't reset the codes according to the person I talked to there.

And my scanner, the same brand and look as Autozone's but obviously with some differences, still doesn't work with the MDX. I'll probably buy another scanner since I like to DIY these types of things.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I believe it was something funky like selecting self diagnosis mode and then XM and then Diagnostic and the codes were there. I deleted each code one by one.

It’s there

Something like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts