Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean to raise the body a little bit more?

The new MDX is already 3.5 cm lower than last version MDX, and Acura never use primium class suspension like air suspension, so after half year of using,the height of the body dropped about 3cm further which I don't like, some will say that will enhance the performance in highway or intense driving, but I like a SUV look like a SUV or more off road looking.
so my question is if there are any solutions that can raise the body or at least maintain the original level, by not replacing the original suspension or replacing with a refitting brand suspension?

thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
You can remove the seats, interior plastic and insulation. That should lighten the load and increase the height....lol WTF?

The only other way is to replace the springs.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Create aluminum lifting spacers and use longer tophat bolts with 10.8 strength. Unfortunately, this is abnormal for the Acura community (maybe not the Honda community though), so you would have to prototype by taking off the suspension and creating a spacer that matches the tophat shape. Stiffer springs (which also don't exist) would just mismatch the strut's damping rate and taller springs would just cause binding during compression. The spacers are your best bet, but raise your center of gravity (you will roll more).

Example from my Subaru forum:
Credit: Subtle Solutions (you can ask the owner of this company to prototype for you, but be ready for paying by the hour and giving him access to suspension).

2014+ MDX rendering:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Messing with the suspension with home-grown (as opposed to an 'engineered' change by real engineers) changes can result in a number of issues including unpredictable handling and safety issues. You really should avoid that.

look like a SUV or more off road looking
The MDX is not an off-road type of SUV so if you wanted one of those you should have bought something other than the MDX. The MDX is a compromise in favor of on-road performance. It doesn't have the necessary ground clearance or 4wd system for off-roading - i.e. it doesn't have a dual range transfer case.

Some people jack up trucks, even with 'engineered' lift kits, which can improve off-roadability (if done right) but will always affect on-roadability in a negative way. Some people are willing to make the compromise either for the off-road performance improvement or just for the 'look', which is silly IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very glad that you answer my post this way,and I will communicate with local dealer(here called 4S) and car tuning shop to discuss the possiblities of using spacers or stiffer springs which I am optimistic with that.thanks.

Create aluminum lifting spacers and use longer tophat bolts with 10.8 strength. Unfortunately, this is abnormal for the Acura community (maybe not the Honda community though), so you would have to prototype by taking off the suspension and creating a spacer that matches the tophat shape. Stiffer springs (which also don't exist) would just mismatch the strut's damping rate and taller springs would just cause binding during compression. The spacers are your best bet, but raise your center of gravity (you will roll more).

Example from my Subaru forum:
Credit: Subtle Solutions (you can ask the owner of this company to prototype for you, but be ready for paying by the hour and giving him access to suspension).

2014+ MDX rendering:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, when the idea poped up in my mind, I already felt that might be a silly or not a rational one, but I just always feel the height of the boy is just 3~5cm lower that it should be, the Acura China branch and JD power China asked me about the suggestion about the car, I specifically point out the height problem besides the material and qualification of interior, the door shutter bolt, the weight should be 100KG heavier....all sounds silly? :cool::D

Messing with the suspension with home-grown (as opposed to an 'engineered' change by real engineers) changes can result in a number of issues including unpredictable handling and safety issues. You really should avoid that.

The MDX is not an off-road type of SUV so if you wanted one of those you should have bought something other than the MDX. The MDX is a compromise in favor of on-road performance. It doesn't have the necessary ground clearance or 4wd system for off-roading - i.e. it doesn't have a dual range transfer case.

Some people jack up trucks, even with 'engineered' lift kits, which can improve off-roadability (if done right) but will always affect on-roadability in a negative way. Some people are willing to make the compromise either for the off-road performance improvement or just for the 'look', which is silly IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts