Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to Tim and he recommended to install oil seal for front and real camshaft while doing the timing belt. How do you hold and lock the camshaft pulley while removing the bolt? Any trick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
There is a special service tool that dealers use to hold the cam gears.

For the home mechanic who doesn't want to buy such a specialty tool you can usually get away with zip ties. The cam gears should have "speed holes" in them... Run a couple zip ties through the holes and lock the cams together to resist twisting.

Not a Honda J-series, but you'll get the idea:

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a special service tool that dealers use to hold the cam gears.

For the home mechanic who doesn't want to buy such a specialty tool you can usually get away with zip ties. The cam gears should have "speed holes" in them... Run a couple zip ties through the holes and lock the cams together to resist twisting.

Not a Honda J-series, but you'll get the idea:

You lose the camshaft pulley bolt while the belt is on or off for extra holding resistance?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Cannot u use a medium duty impact wrench to get it off?

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
656 Posts
Use one "cam pulley holder tool" . You can get them in Amazon. I have one that I have used in my Nissan Quest, Honda Accord, and also fits the MDX.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
how are you planning to pull the old seal out? thats the trickiest part. if you gall the soft aluminum while removing the old seal theres another can of worms thats opened. personally i have never seen a cam seal leak, and the only reason why one WOULD leak would be if you were removing the cam and putting it back in, which you are not. again, a situation where id leave sleeping dogs lie. Ive talked to tim before, he strikes me as an "on paper" guy. meaning on paper it makes sense, but in practice it does not. I question how much "hands on" experience he has.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how are you planning to pull the old seal out? thats the trickiest part. if you gall the soft aluminum while removing the old seal theres another can of worms thats opened. personally i have never seen a cam seal leak, and the only reason why one WOULD leak would be if you were removing the cam and putting it back in, which you are not. again, a situation where id leave sleeping dogs lie. Ive talked to tim before, he strikes me as an "on paper" guy. meaning on paper it makes sense, but in practice it does not. I question how much "hands on" experience he has.

Yeah. I looked over the service manual and it’s not that easy to replace. Forget it.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Have you ever seen crankshaft seal leak? I did not replace both camshaft and crankshaft seal for my 1st timing belt job. How about the 2nd one or 3rd one? Never touch it until it actually leaks? Thanks

personally i have never seen a cam seal leak

·
Registered
306 Posts
Have you ever seen crankshaft seal leak? I did not replace both camshaft and crankshaft seal for my 1st timing belt job. How about the 2nd one or 3rd one? Never touch it until it actually leaks? Thanks
im assuming you mean the front main seal (oil pump side) of the crankshaft. i haven't seen this seal leak either, the rear main seal seems to leak far more than either cam seal or front main seal, if it were me, id leave it alone unless its already leaking, in which case you've done the timing belt at least once already and getting back to it to replace the seal wouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
im assuming you mean the front main seal (oil pump side) of the crankshaft. i haven't seen this seal leak either, the rear main seal seems to leak far more than either cam seal or front main seal, if it were me, id leave it alone unless its already leaking, in which case you've done the timing belt at least once already and getting back to it to replace the seal wouldn't be a big deal.
Cool! So a complete TB job is simply Belt, tensioner, water pump? That is great. Also this set will give people all the parts for a drive belt revamp. for only $183. The parts cost is really low and I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EEYTRE/

·
Registered
793 Posts
I asked Tim to give me a Timing belt kit quote and he included camshaft oil seal and oil pump oil seal. Here is his quote:

You can save $150 on the parts, doing some research, on Ebay.
Search for a timing Belt kit, (Aisin Kit TKH002 Timing belt kit) for your SUV and look at each part number included in the kit.
Different sellers may not list a complete break down, part # by part #, but most do.
Compare those numbers to the OEM numbers.

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
656 Posts
Cool! So a complete TB job is simply Belt, tensioner, water pump? That is great. Also this set will give people all the parts for a drive belt revamp. for only $183. The parts cost is really low and I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EEYTRE/

Please add the replacement of the serpentine belt, and serpentine tensioner (optional). The tensioner will start giving you problems later. But, that one is easy to change at any time. I replaced all at one time just because it is my wife's vehicle and I needed to take advantage of the maintenance window she gave me. :grin:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Please add the replacement of the serpentine belt, and serpentine tensioner (optional). The tensioner will start giving you problems later. But, that one is easy to change at any time. I replaced all at one time just because it is my wife's vehicle and I needed to take advantage of the maintenance window she gave me. :grin:
look at the kit. it has everything!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can save $150 on the parts, doing some research, on Ebay.

Search for a timing Belt kit, (Aisin Kit TKH002 Timing belt kit) for your SUV and look at each part number included in the kit.

Different sellers may not list a complete break down, part # by part #, but most do.

Compare those numbers to the OEM numbers.

Ok. Sounds giod

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.