Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had fumoto drain valve on most of my cars before and it made oil change as easy as breeze for me. Now, i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it on a 16 MDX here??

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a 2015, NO it does not fit. Had to return them. Also did not fit or work on 2015 RDX. Same issue due to oil pan design. Bummer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, the website does make a warning that it might not work with any 2010+ Honda/Acura. Now I can cross it off from my list :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is a way to make it work......However, it is not recommended by them. You can add an extra extension. When adding another extension, there would be too much stress on the threads that go into the oil pan. There was no way I was going to do that.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Very pricey system. The OCs are actually quite easy on Honda vehicles, but the fumoto would have just made it faster. Besides, you still have to climb under to get the oil filter off. I would use a mityvac if the filter was up top and the only reason to go under was to drain the oil pan.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fumoto has confirmed that the recessed drain plug location will require the $6 extension piece - i checked for my '14 recently and theyve done a good job documenting it. the standard F-106 should fit all 14+mdx's assuming the oil plug is the same

i'm planning on getting one soon for the next upcoming oil change!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Very pricey system. The OCs are actually quite easy on Honda vehicles, but the fumoto would have just made it faster. Besides, you still have to climb under to get the oil filter off. I would use a mityvac if the filter was up top and the only reason to go under was to drain the oil pan.
im with you on this - i almost bought a mityvac but that oil filter dilemma... has anyone looked into a remote oil filter mounting option? when i saw the inverted filter on a friends tacoma, it's a wonder why that's not standard practice already..

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It 'really' isn't that big of a deal to just use the normal drain bolt and do normal oil changes on this vehicle.

Firstly, the oil change interval is very long so you won't be doing changes that frequently. I have 24K miles on my 2014 MDX and have only done 2 oil changes on it so far.

Secondly, it's easy to take off and replace the normal drain bolt - less than a minute. Normally one would be under the vehicle anyway to change the oil filter although it s/b possible to change the filter from the right wheel well but even then, it makes somewhat of a mess when changing the oil filter so one will be under there somewhat to position the drain pan and wipe off any spillage from the chassis.

I definitely would stay away from installing a remote oil filter since if there are any problems with it, it could ruin the engine and it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Ditto with an aftermarket valve type drain bolt.

On the vacuum - I'd rather let the oil drain from the plug - it may bring little metal particles with it.

This isn't worth over-thinking - it's easy to change the oil and filter normally and even then, it's rarely done since the vehicle goes a long ways between oil changes.

Note - I posted a 'how to' thread here on changing the oil and filter -
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/63738-2014-mdx-just-changed-oil-myself.html

Others have posted similar threads.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
There is some benefit to a fumoto + top filter though. I've been in one situation where I drove to a neighboring state and had forgotten to do an OC before I left. So I just bought a filter and oil at the destination and drained the oil into a pan I borrowed. Didn't have to crawl under or anything.. just tossed the pan under, open the fumoto, replaced the filter, closed the fumoto, and filled the oil. All done in less than 10 minutes. At home, it's pretty much the same. A big plus for those of us who have lower cars too that just fit the height of the pan and you really don't want to jack up the car to get under.

On the MDX though, no jacking is a plus. The stupid oil filter location, like almost all Honda vehicles, is annoying though.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ With the time between oil changes on the MDX, if I was to put an 'extra' 1K or 2K miles on the oil due to forgetting to change it just before headed on a trip, I wouldn't worry about it and just take care of it when I get back. If I just started on one of my really long coast to coast and back trips (> 6K miles) and only realized I forgot just after leaving, which is unlikely due to the maintenance minder, I'd probably just go ahead and find an Acura dealer nearby to have them change the oil.

You're right - the oil filter location and angle isn't ideally located and pretty much guarantees some leakage. On the plus side - it's not really necessary to jack up the vehicle to do the change unless you torque the drain bolt (like I do) and don't have a shorter handled torque wrench (which I now have) - i.e. the ground gets in the way of turning the torque wrench. In a pinch, I wouldn't worry about this either and would just tighten it to what I think is reasonable without the torque wrench.

Note - with the oil change interval on the MDX the oil change time is also a good tire rotation time so if you do that yourself as well, like I do, there'd be some jacking of the vehicle anyway.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a mityvac as I used to have BMW / Merc / Mini (all have top sided oil filters).

Now in the caddy / acura, both have filters on the bottom. The only reason I used my mityvac was because it's easier to drain most of the oil out and put it in another container (versus a normal oil pan) and it hopefully means less oil on top of the oil filter to get everywhere.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went ahead and installed the SX series Fumoto valve. Couldn't be happier with the result. The SX series allows you to position the drain port away from the ground. Now it's right behind the filter. See photos. It also sits higher than the exhaust manifold, so I don't foresee issues with ground clearance.

IMGUR links 1 2

Attachments

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Nice! I might just get one again. Is it still a paper washer?? Mine tore and leaked on my subie.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts